E350 Coupe AMG Line

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
In my experience with sport mode Robin, anything more that a slight touch of the throttle and the gearbox will change down to get the revs above 1500rpm. You need to be in manual only to feel what I describe, though I think you have a different variation of the engine, as well as the gearbox, though then again it could just be my car. In my car in manual mode it won't let you change up to 7th until you're at a speed where the revs would be above 1300rpm, so you can only really experience it in 3rd to 6th gears.

In E mine spends a lot of it's time below 1500rpm also, but at a cruise. If i want to increase my speed by more than 1mph/sec it usually changes down.

In manual it feels like an old school petrol turbo car, albeit at a lower rpm.... I.E. foot to the kickdown point at 1100rpm = nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing.....1500rpm and allllllll of the torque. I sometimes wonder whether mine has been re-mapped by a past owner, as it feels like you get full turbo pressure at 1500rpm, when most factory maps in other cars progressively increase boost in the early part of the rev-range(although I only have experience of petrol turbo cars). It's forever having to use the ESP to limit power in the wet when it comes on boost as it's such a big dump of power at once.

Are your cars more linear with the way the power comes on 1000 to 1500? Mines Linear after the initial dump of power.

Don't get me wrong, I love it like it is, it's exciting. I prefer any turbo car to give full-boost from whatever point the engineering allows, rather than a computer feeding it in progressively for a more linear (and boring IMO) powerband.

I must admit I rarely use manual but I have not noticed any drop or lack of power band.

Mine is 265 bhp with the 9g box.

I’m out and about tomorrow so will put car into manual and try it out.

Mind you I’m not a fast driver normally but I do like to give it a blast when there is a nice bit of open road.

Robin

OP
Bubble

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
Enjoy your new toy. :)
Btw I dont think 19” tyres cost any more than 18” ... Eg Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 3. £160 each

The BIG advantage of 18” imo is they probably handle the dips bumps and holes in our atrocious roads better !

Mine came with 19” so .... they have to stay!

I have since checked the price of 19" tyres and they have come down a lot and they are indeed not much more than 18" now.

19" do look better in my opinion, so next time that I charge cars, I will not be put off.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The BIG advantage of 18” imo is they probably handle the dips bumps and holes in our atrocious roads better !

Mine came with 19” so .... they have to stay!

Ride quality will also depend on the side wall profile of the tyre regardless of the wheel size

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Ride quality will also depend on the side wall profile of the tyre regardless of the wheel size
Puzzled by that ... as the wheel size goes up the profile reduces correspondingly.
Assuming you get the right tyres, the outer diameter of the tyre doesnt change.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I have since checked the price of 19" tyres and they have come down a lot and they are indeed not much more than 18" now.

19" do look better in my opinion, so next time that I charge cars, I will not be put off.
Yep I think they have moved the goalpost. And now the premium is on the 20” wheels.

My sister has an AMG 2017 S Class with very pretty diamond cut 20” wheels. I agree they do look stunning, but it even makes an S Class (albeit with AMG suspension) pretty harsh ... and she hates it!
In summer with double pano roof, and windows open you really hear the tyres on the road surface.
I also doubt they absorb much impact when it hits a pothole. The profile looks very thin.

So not really my cup of tea!
That said if the right car came along ... I would just live with it. :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Puzzled by that ... as the wheel size goes up the profile reduces correspondingly.
Assuming you get the right tyres, the outer diameter of the tyre doesnt change.

Correct, the rule of thumb is to drop a profile every time you increase the wheel size by 1"

To define:

A 19" wheel on an E Class has a 235/35 R19" front tyre
A 19" wheel on a CL has a 255/40 R19" front tyre

The CL has a considerable larger sidewall than the E so therefore it will have more "cushioning"

Last edited:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Correct, the rule of thumb is to drop a profile every time you increase the wheel size by 1"

To define:

A 19" wheel on an E Class has a 235/35 R19" front tyre
A 19" wheel on a CL has a 255/40 R19" front tyre

The Cl has a considerable larger sidewall than the E so therefore it will have more "cushioning"

Good point 82.25 v 102mm, enough to feel it. 19.75mm quite a bigger wheel with tyres, mind you it needs it to fill that wheel arch. But then its a deceptively big car!
Still cant work out how it has such miniscule rear leg room :) - not an issue for us as no kids to transport. :)

Roxy John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'07 W211 E320CDI Sport
Good point 82.25 v 102mm, enough to feel it. 19.75mm quite a bigger wheel with tyres, mind you it needs it to fill that wheel arch. But then its a deceptively big car!
Still cant work out how it has such miniscule rear leg room :) - not an issue for us as no kids to transport. :)

If you are referring to the tiny amount of legroom in the back of the E Coupe, it's because it uses the C-Class W204 platform; the new model is built on the E platform, so when I change in a couple of years, I look forward to a bit more space! And probably a slightly improved ride.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you are referring to the tiny amount of legroom in the back of the E Coupe, it's because it uses the C-Class W204 platform

The CL is not massive in the back for a car that big either.

CLKToday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430 2000 4.3 V8 2011-2018 E400 Coupe V6 3.0 2018-
I too picked up a new to me E Coupe on Saturday! E400 petrol, 19” wheels...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bubble

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
I too picked up a new to me E Coupe on Saturday! E400 petrol, 19” wheels...

Congratulations, that should go pretty well with over 300bhp. I would be interested on what it's like on fuel.

CLKToday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430 2000 4.3 V8 2011-2018 E400 Coupe V6 3.0 2018-
Congratulations, that should go pretty well with over 300bhp. I would be interested on what it's like on fuel.

Thanks, yes it goes very well, particularly in Sport mode, throttle response change is really noticeable, how’s that on the 350? Another very nice car btw, you must be very pleased! Did a run up to Suffolk on Saturday, couple of hundred miles all told, mix of motorway, rural and urban roads, returned 32mpg combined.

One question for you, I’ve noticed the climate/aircon on my car makes a noticeable hissing sound. Is this the same on your car?

Cheers and happy motoring!

OP
Bubble

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
Thanks, yes it goes very well, particularly in Sport mode, throttle response change is really noticeable, how’s that on the 350? Another very nice car btw, you must be very pleased! Did a run up to Suffolk on Saturday, couple of hundred miles all told, mix of motorway, rural and urban roads, returned 32mpg combined.

One question for you, I’ve noticed the climate/aircon on my car makes a noticeable hissing sound. Is this the same on your car?

Cheers and happy motoring!

OP
Bubble

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
The 350cdi does also go very well, especially in sport mode too. My previous CLK320cdi was remapped to roughly 270bhp and the 350 feels easily as quick and a lot smoother and refined. That only averaged 36mpg, so your petrol 400 giving 32mpg is pretty impressive.

I have only done a couple of hundred miles so far in the 350 and most of that has just been mundane backwards and forwards to work. I have yet to stretch it's legs, so it's showing about 39mpg average.

I have the climate in auto and have not noticed any hissing noise from anywhere. Do you have all the vents open? Just thinking that air might be trying to force past a shut vent?

OP
Bubble

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
Xenon lights? Don't these have matrix LED headlamps as standard? Looks lovely all the same!

Silly me, I had a better look this afternoon and yes it has led dipped beam, but the main beam is a standard H7 bulb, which look a ghastly yellow in comparison. Osram 130+ bulbs on order to make them a bit better.

OP
Bubble

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
Mine has LED headlights, I thought they were standard fit - they are pretty bight certainly brighter than halogens.

Silly me, I had a better look this afternoon and yes it has led dipped beam, but the main beam is a standard H7 bulb, which look a ghastly yellow in comparison. Osram 130+ bulbs on order to make them a bit better.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom