S230 Varioroof right flap gear broken

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
On my R230, the right side varioroof flap has developed somewhat of a play - no longer stays tight in the folded position. The play motion, though, is small enough that the limit switch remains OK actuated. This condition bothers me however because the end position of the flap with open roof ends up a bit misaligned - this condition is likely to worsen over time.
Upon disassembling and observing, I noticed the small pinion gear coaxial to the flap hinge axis is missing a tooth, subsequently failing to tighly hold the small rack - just in the folded position - hence the play in the flap.
I went to get a spare part, but you need to buy the whole assembly including motor, cables, both LH and RH end gears and flap support frames. It is over 500 quid! (... just for a broken tooth...)
Anyone has any suggestions or happens to have this spare element? (ideally the end hinged support frame including the small pinion gear). Many thanks in advanced to all R230 mates !

Last edited:

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
On my R230, the right side varioroof flap has developed somewhat of a play - no longer stays tight in the folded position. The play motion, though, is small enough that the limit switch remains OK actuated. This condition bothers me however because the end position of the flap with open roof ends up a bit misaligned - this condition is likely to worsen over time.
Upon disassembling and observing, I noticed the small pinion gear coaxial to the flap hinge axis is missing a tooth, subsequently failing to tighly hold the small rack - just in the folded position - hence the play in the flap.
I went to get a spare part, but you need to buy the whole assembly including motor, cables, both LH and RH end gears and flap support frames. It is over 500 quid! (... just for a broken tooth...)
Anyone has any suggestions or happens to have this spare element? (ideally the end hinged support frame including the small pinion gear). Many thanks in advanced to all R230 mates !

This is a common fault on the R230 and MB now supply a more substantial replacement part with a wider pinion such that it does not come unmeshed from the rack drive. MBS changed mine 2-3 years back but I can’t remember it cost as much as £500 even including labour.

OP
Michael F

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
This is a common fault on the R230 and MB now supply a more substantial replacement part with a wider pinion such that it does not come unmeshed from the rack drive. MBS changed mine 2-3 years back but I can’t remember it cost as much as £500 even including labour.
Thanks Monday. No very encouraging to hear that it’s a common fault. I would have thought that Daimler Chrysler would be highly stringent in terms of testing all components for durability... nobody is perfect it seems. I will still spend a few days exploring options other than spending over 500 quid.

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Thanks Monday. No very encouraging to hear that it’s a common fault. I would have thought that Daimler Chrysler would be highly stringent in terms of testing all components for durability... nobody is perfect it seems. I will still spend a few days exploring options other than spending over 500 quid.

They HAVE tested the durability - on your car, and mine! Mine was a 2007 SL350. The cable drive comes unmeshed from the pinion which lifts the flappy bits out of the way. The system then doesn’t know where they are so won’t open the roof.

Have a word with an independent MB garage (lots on here) and see what they say. STAR will confirm the problem.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Before the tooth broke, you could have fitted the modified sliders which hold the gears tighter in mesh. Too late now, replacement assm only.

OP
Michael F

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
Hi Star. I think you are absolutely right, and imagine that the new sliders keep tighter and constant fit between the rack and the small pinion gear along the whole travel.
As far as having the whole assy replaced, I am still hopeful to find a salvage arm with an OK pinion. Happy to hear if anyone in the forum has a spare.
As far as the sliders, I in fact got a set from the MB dealer, however I noticed that the fit with the Bowden cable end is awfully tight, impeding fitting the sliders all the way in. Hence have opted to not replace them right now until I figure how to handle this tight fit (and can push the sliders all the way). Do you have any insight on how to effectively fit the sliders despite the tight fit? Many thanks !

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
some time ago i saw something on utube covering repairs and replacement of this

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Grease and a small easing stick, slacken off adjustment and adjust after. They turn quite easily. Pointless if tooth is missing.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom