CL W216 INTERMITTENT ABS-ESP-RUN FLAT WARNING DASH LIGHT

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
This intermittent fault has been going on for a week now, drive for 3/4 miles and dash warning light...ABS AND ESP INOPERATIVE see owners manual then RUN FLAT INDICATOR INOPERATIVE.
Park up for an hour come back to the car drive off everything ok. Any ideas.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Fingers crossed its a brake stop switch £12 . But as with all these things it's normally best to have the cars fault codes read by a Merc independent (cheaper than MB ) to avoid spending money in the wrong direction .
A fault code reader like the icarsoft i980 or MBII should also show the fault . There is a very good Merc independent called MBS in Southampton , or Star Mercedes in Reading that regularly get recommended on this site . Good luck

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, thought I may need to reset something or disconnect/reconnect the battery.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
... and if you got yourself one of the code readers mentioned in Wighty's post, it would tell you which wheel!

A good code reader is like the old proverb about giving a man a fish. It would feed him for a day. But teach him to fish and he's fed for life. The right code reader will save you a fortune every time your car shows a fault. Without one, you pay the garage every time.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
This intermittent fault has been going on for a week now, drive for 3/4 miles and dash warning light...ABS AND ESP INOPERATIVE see owners manual then RUN FLAT INDICATOR INOPERATIVE.

I had exactly that, for a while.
All now cured with the unusual Parking Brake Switch reset ... £0.
Sent you a pm how to do it.

(This assumes you have an ELPB and Adaptive Brakes Light Code K11)

This is worth trying as it costs nothing and can be done in 5 mins, if it doesnt work then get it on STAR.
However if I lived in Hampshire I would get it to MBS.
The brake light switch on our cars is more complex and strangely ;) more expensive not £15 but £90 :(:(
( assume as your car is 2010 you have ILS ).

If the resent doesnt work, it could be :-
A)
low voltages ... potentially a decent charge up of new battery
or
B) a wheel speed sensor. £119 each ... And or a dirty reluctor ring. ( latter pretty unlikely ). Boring job .... zero cost.
Or
C) the actual brake light switch.

You are very lucky as you must be near MBS.

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that info, Submariner1. I will give it a go or call MBS, as I have no fault diagnostic equipment. I've not yet had a chance to go through your menu to bring up the voltage on the dash.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Thanks for that info, Submariner1. I will give it a go or call MBS, as I have no fault diagnostic equipment. I've not yet had a chance to go through your menu to bring up the voltage on the dash.

Worth trying the reset trick, if no joy then MBS is a VERY good idea.
Note the MBII was not “focused” enough to diagnose cost effectively.
Could have wasted hundreds on parts .. and lots of time!

( I found cleaning reluctor rings with non aggressive wads of cloth ... mind numbingly boring! )
Note some rings have the receiver bits stuck on,and can be damaged as opposed to the chunky cog types.

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will have to leave the CL problem at the moment, replacing two blocked radiators at home and trying to fix central heating, now the air con has stopped working on the SL.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I will have to leave the CL problem at the moment, replacing two blocked radiators at home and trying to fix central heating, now the air con has stopped working on the SL.
My sympathies ... funny how they always act up at the same time! :(

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
I had this pop up on my 2012 c220 yesterday. Driving along, braking for a roundabout and felt an unusual little jolt up through the pedal, next thing I get this warning on the dash. Stopped off for a couple of hours, when I got back in it, the light was still on, however, a few yards down the road it went out. Would the error still be logged, or would it have cleared itself?
I’ll leave it for now, see if it comes back on.
I’m lucky enough to have MBS 5 mins down the road from me, problem is getting there while the are open.

Cheers,
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris074

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c250 Sport Blue Efficiency Estate/2012/1.8 Petrol
I had this yesterday on my 2012 W204 C250 Estate for the first time. At first seemed intermittent but soon became solid. (Also the automatic stop-start was disabled). I booked it into my local MB dealer although they couldn't do it for 10 days, but then they helpfully suggested I might like to talk to MB Roadside Assistance, as I have a maintenance plan, and it could be a safety issue. So today, the service assistance van arrived plugged in the diagnostic tool, and diagnosed a failed front near-side speed detector. Then off he went to the dealer (same one) to get one - arrived back, fitted it and cleared the fault, all in a couple of hours or so. I only had to pay for the spare part - a lot cheaper than having the dealership look at it- who were going to start with a £99 charge for plugging in their diagnostic equipment. Well chuffed as I ended up paying only £68 total - just the cost of the part!

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had this yesterday on my 2012 W204 C250 Estate for the first time. At first seemed intermittent but soon became solid. (Also the automatic stop-start was disabled). I booked it into my local MB dealer although they couldn't do it for 10 days, but then they helpfully suggested I might like to talk to MB Roadside Assistance, as I have a maintenance plan, and it could be a safety issue. So today, the service assistance van arrived plugged in the diagnostic tool, and diagnosed a failed front near-side speed detector. Then off he went to the dealer (same one) to get one - arrived back, fitted it and cleared the fault, all in a couple of hours or so. I only had to pay for the spare part - a lot cheaper than having the dealership look at it- who were going to start with a £99 charge for plugging in their diagnostic equipment. Well chuffed as I ended up paying only £68 total - just the cost of the part!

Chris, yours is exactly the same sensor as mine. Had my mate plug in the diagnostics earlier today, left front speed sensor. My c class is the same year as yours, so guess it’s the same part. Is that £68 for a genuine part from the dealer? That’s less than I was expecting, I may aswell pay them a visit.

Cheers
Steve

chris074

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c250 Sport Blue Efficiency Estate/2012/1.8 Petrol
Chris, yours is exactly the same sensor as mine. Had my mate plug in the diagnostics earlier today, left front speed sensor. My c class is the same year as yours, so guess it’s the same part. Is that £68 for a genuine part from the dealer? That’s less than I was expecting, I may aswell pay them a visit.

Cheers
Steve

Yes that's the genuine Mercedes part. The mechanic called the nearest dealer (which happens to be the one I normally have it serviced at) to check they had it in stock, and was prepared too try other dealerships in the area if that failed. He mentioned that all 4 sensors are different, and they're all different between models. So the price can vary - I was expecting around £100 so £68 came as a pleasant surprise. Never used the MB Breakdown Assist before, but was pleasantly surprised at how pain-free it was (apart from the 15 minute wait for the phone to be answered at the start)

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes that's the genuine Mercedes part. The mechanic called the nearest dealer (which happens to be the one I normally have it serviced at) to check they had it in stock, and was prepared too try other dealerships in the area if that failed. He mentioned that all 4 sensors are different, and they're all different between models. So the price can vary - I was expecting around £100 so £68 came as a pleasant surprise. Never used the MB Breakdown Assist before, but was pleasantly surprised at how pain-free it was (apart from the 15 minute wait for the phone to be answered at the start)

That’s great news, thanks. There’s a merc dealer just over the road from where I work, so will give them a call today.
My need isn’t as urgent as yours, my light isn’t permanently on, in fact it didn’t come on at all yesterday. Still worth getting sorted pretty soon though..

Cheers,
Steve

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s great news, thanks. There’s a merc dealer just over the road from where I work, so will give them a call today.
My need isn’t as urgent as yours, my light isn’t permanently on, in fact it didn’t come on at all yesterday. Still worth getting sorted pretty soon though..

Cheers,
Steve

Just picked up genuine part from my local dealer, £68.40! Bargain, Euro Car Parts wanted over £90!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Hi
Just to let you know
My problem was fixed by 4 new sensors.
Sorted the following error messages.
- Abs and esp currently unavailable see owner manual (yellow)
- esp inoperative see owners manual (yellow or white)
- run flat indicators inoperable (yellow or white )
- Parking brake see owners manual ( in red )

And a load of sensor faults under ABR ( ABR Brakes )
FL, FR, RL and RR. Visual inspection.

And no Can message from 47-5 Esp Controller
Implausible signal from Front and Real axles sensors

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hi
Just to let you know

It would be much easier wouldn't it , instead of all that garbage coming up on the screen, if your dash would simply say "You've got to replace your 4 sensors now".

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi
Just to let you know

Glad you got it sorted, sounded like a right ordeal narrowing it down...

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
It would be much easier wouldn't it , instead of all that garbage coming up on the screen, if your dash would simply say "You've got to replace your 4 sensors now".

It certainly would, but I dont think that would be possible, because if stuff fails further up the chain, it can mislead you.
The penny twigged when I saw this diagram.
0BD7C5F7-7B3D-4DD0-949D-BD0FC7AC7275.jpeg

A lot of expensive components interconnected. :/-

One is really dependent on the skill of the tech. To diagnose the real failure point, and I guess that comes down to experience.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom