Urgently want to know how to turn off stop start ... on this hideous GLC 220d 4 Matic

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
cant find the manual
Its 2018 model one week old if that matters
How do I turn off stop start! Preferably permanently?
If there is no way to do this, would flattening the battery by leaving the headlights on for a few hours stop it cutting out so frequently p!

Scary drive up a long hill, every 12” it cut out , nasty shudder as the engine comes back on, slips back a little, with the take up!
Slight shudder as it cuts out.
In a 2 mile trip to the shops it cut out with stop start 40 times.

This start stop b*llocks is atrocious!
On the steeper section, I seriously thought I would lose my unblemished record of zero accidents in 40 years of driving.
I was positive I was going to roll back into the car behind.

After 28 years of MB ownership .... this is the F*CKING, NASTIEST PILE OF CRAP I HAVE EVER DRIVEN WITH A THREE POINTED STAR.

Is this made in Mexico or Romania something!

I was well ****ed off with my CL500s abs issues but now f*ck I love her to bits!

Anybody nuts enough to pay more than £10K, for a new one of these .... should have a long test drive and then drive a proper MB. Or get themselves certified.

Wallowy steering,
Reversing camera lines way off. So useless
Truly Gutless engine.
Loud noisy fans
The most uncomfortable seats EVER. I have always LOVED Every MB seat ( C class, CLK, S , SL, and CL.)
If you are 6’ plus there is a ruddy gap in the base if you extend it, and the second pillow bit in the base is angled. Horrendous.

Totally shocked and Speechless!

How much do these cars cost with all the toys like this reversing cams etc.? What £22K!

The only things I like are
- the way it flashes up the new speed limit as you hit it ... but would like that to stay on!
- stick your foot under the rear bumper and the boot opens.
Period!

Sorry but this is NOT A MERCEDES.
ANY HANKERING AFTER A NEW MERCEDES HAS GONE STRAIGHT OUT OF THE WINDOW!

Honestly this is what I would expect if I got in a KIA or one of these cheapo Chinese clone thingies.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Hi Botus
Its an auto ... or I well and truly ****ed it! :):)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Seems you have to press the ECO button on the dash.
Unfortunately, you have to do that every time you start the car.

Don't get so worked up Sub. Its a courtesy car. You haven't bought it.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
is it a manual g.box pete ?

Knowing your views on crap MB technology and build quality
I would pay good money to see an uncensored video of you reviewing this pile of garbage, they dare to call a Merc.

Blows my mind that there is a member here who has a B class and has a moniker GLC
Jesus he should drive one of these, and he would instantly prefer to call himsef TREVI .:):)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Mercedes are just another maker of cars ..... they're no longer prestigious ..... just look at how many there are on the roads these days ..... there's loads of them ;)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Seems you have to press the ECO button on the dash.
Unfortunately, you have to do that every time you start the car.

Don't get so worked up Sub. Its a courtesy car. You haven't bought it.

Thanks for the tip.

Not worked up its not mine!
Just thought people buying them based on MBs reputarion should know ... this isnt a proper Mercedes!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The idle stop start CAN be coded out so I heard. It only comes on (ECO mode in green on the DIS) when certain parameters of driving, engine temp etc are met. For my 212 that was usually only when pulling up to really awkward busy traffic islands. It IS a major PITA sometimes, although I’m not sure it’s worthy of this level of hystrionics.

For the European market they are assembled in Bremen, not Romania. Although Romania does have Dacia plants which are a Renault subsidiary and have a decent reputation.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks for the tip.

Not worked up its not mine!
Just thought people buying them based on MBs reputarion should know ... this isnt a proper Mercedes!
What IS a proper Mercedes then?

It’s a C Class on stilts. It’s no more or less “proper” than a G Wagen.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The idle stop start CAN be coded out so I heard. It only comes on (ECO mode in green on the DIS) when certain parameters of driving, engine temp etc are met. For my 212 that was usually only when pulling up to really awkward busy traffic islands. It IS a major PITA sometimes, although I’m not sure it’s worthy of this level of hystrionics.

For the European market they are assembled in Bremen, not Romania. Although Romania does have Dacia plants which are a Renault subsidiary and have a decent reputation.

Well it turned off maybe 40 times on a 4 mile round trip to the shops.
On one long incline in heavy traffic I was convinced as the guy behind was fairly close, eventually I would roll back into him!
Your crawling along, come to stop .. foot on brake and the engine is cut. With a little judder
Your able to move forward 8ft, so take your foot off the brake .. it begins to start with a bigger judder, the oark brake is released immediately and there is a lag before you pull forward! Somit starts to roll back a bit!
Theres no handbrake lever to pull, and if you put your foot on the brake ... yeah you got it it instantly cuts the engine ...

Only way to stop it rolling back, was to press the brake and press the throttle a bit. It didnt like it but stopped cutting out!
On a steep hill it must be well scary!

The CL 500 is an utter dream in comparison.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
What IS a proper Mercedes then?

It’s a C Class on stilts. It’s no more or less “proper” than a G Wagen.

Driven C Classes they are nice, E Classes they are nice MLs they are nice S Classes lovely, CLs Lovely , SLs are Lovely too!
All proper Mercedes.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Driven C Classes they are nice, E Classes they are nice MLs they are nice S Classes lovely, CLs Lovely , SLs are Lovely too!
All proper Mercedes.

Yet some of those classes have the stop /start function as well ,which seems to be the problem.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Yet some of those classes have the stop /start function as well ,which seems to be the problem.

Sister has a 2017 S Class AMG and the start stop is seemless, but she doesnt like the long term wear issues

And the drive
And the seats

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sister has a 2017 S Class AMG and the start stop is seemless, but she doesnt like the long term wear issues

And the drive
And the seats
May be hard to believe but mine has stop/start Peter!
So my ritual;
Start car/ disable ghost/select sport (which means out of eco and stop start disabled)....

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
is it a manual g.box pete ?

9 G-Tronic in those.

Stop Start is on most makes, keeps emissions down

Sub, its not your car so don't get your knickers in a twist over it, FYI they are £40k + and comparing it to an S Class is ridiculous.

You could have asked EuropCar how to disable Eco when you called to ask about the running in period!!!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
May be hard to believe but mine has stop/start Peter!
So my ritual;
Start car/ disable ghost/select sport (which means out of eco and stop start disabled)....

Hi John
No hardship then ... as Sport is a must if one is lucky enough to have an AMG :)

Only negative for me is buying second hand ... did the original owner leave it in start stop mode?

I dont think anyone could convince me this doesnt put serious wear on a lot of parts.
Hell 4 mile round trip in rush hour and it must have switched off 40 times.
Instead of 2 in a conventional car.
Think I read somewhere there is 10x more bearing wear at start up then say motorway cruising per revolution.

No way around it! Just got to live with it.

My evaisive action will be to buy a very low mileage 3 or 4 year old and have Tier1.
So if oneday they say sorry engine has to come out and put a new starter ring on her and a new starter.
My only question will be ... what loaner do I get :):)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
9 G-Tronic in those.

Stop Start is on most makes, keeps emissions down

Sub, its not your car so don't get your knickers in a twist over it, FYI they are £40k + and comparing it to an S Class is ridiculous.

You could have asked EuropCar how to disable Eco when you called to ask about the running in period!!!

I didnt think it would be a problem, I assumed it was all seemless.

Sorry anyone who pays £40K for one of these is off his trolly!

And as for comparing it with a S Class being ridiculous
I dont think so.
Hmmm do you not think you could get a pretty nice ultra low mileage SL500 for £40,000!
Thanks but, I think I could get an exceedingly nice one!

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Mine has stop/start which I hate. I just got into the habit of starting the car then switching off Eco, it's a habit now, don't even think about it :)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didnt think it would be a problem, I assumed it was all seemless.

Sorry anyone who pays £40K for one of these is off his trolly!

And as for comparing it with a S Class being ridiculous
I dont think so.
Hmmm do you not think you could get a pretty nice ultra low mileage SL500 for £40,000!
Thanks but, I think I could get an exceedingly nice one!

Could you get a new one for £40k?

Erm... no.

It’s a C Class. That’s C/D segment market placement, which puts it at Evoque, Freelander, Q5 level. S Class is Premium E Large, and towards the top end of it price wise. The two cars here just do not compare- they literally have no valid comparison points.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom