C63 AMG potential purchase, manor wood cars?

Tidgy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63
Not sure if this is in the right place.

after many years of owning subaru's of various ages and tune levels, im currently looking at buying a C63 AMG, after looking around on line at specs and colors the mrs tells me dark grey is the nicest, lol, have to say i do like the dark grey as well so i've been looking around. I came across this one,

https://www.manorwoodcarsltd.co.uk/...3-amg-7g-tronic-4dr-leicester-201801233019516

Can anyone spot anything amiss or know the place that has it for sale? good and bad comments welcome :)

thanks in advance, T

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
8 & 7,000 miles 2015, 2016 and then only 2,000 miles since September 2017 and the most recent reviews appear to be in conflict with most of the earlier ones. If I had and was spending that sort of money on a car I would arrange to take it to nearest MB dealer or reputable indy for a full inspection before parting with it. :)

OP
T

Tidgy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63
8 & 7,000 miles 2015, 2016 and then only 2,000 miles since September 2017 and the most recent reviews appear to be in conflict with most of the earlier ones. If I had and was spending that sort of money on a car I would arrange to take it to nearest MB dealer or reputable indy for a full inspection before parting with it. :)

I was thinking of getting an inspection done tbh. I don't know enough about them to check it out myself.

Milage wise it looks like it's been used on and off, only had 1 owner though.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I was thinking of getting an inspection done tbh. I don't know enough about them to check it out myself.

Milage wise it looks like it's been used on and off, only had 1 owner though.
Thinking!
6.2L 2009, smack in the danger zone for the dreaded head bolts issue!
Vital you check that. The repair would cost you £10K to £12K, if its not too late. If too oate then budget £25K for a nice 2nd hand engine.
And put it through a Main Dealers inspection. Someone who can afford to cough up big bucks if they miss something like this.

Dont get me wrong it was my favourite engine best ever sound! Big pots! :):)
But I was advised by a brilliant MB tech. To avoid even if fixed unless it was in the first month!

The issue:-
AMG CL/SL 63 AMG 6.2 M156 engine
M156 Headbolt Problem Affects All 2010 and Earlier Cars and Some 2011's
Headbolt issue circa October 2010 onward may be OK but rare.
CL 63 SL 63
Definitively engine no ending greater than 60658 is OK
Stretching headbolts and then tappet buckets
If affected, and not caught in time ... engine is a write off!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Thinking!
6.2L 2009, smack in the danger zone for the dreaded head bolts issue!
And every chance nothing will ever happen now after 9 years. This issue has been blown out of proportion and issues v engines built are very rare.

The repair would cost you £10K to £12K, if its not too late. If too late then budget £25K for a nice 2nd hand engine.
Where do you get the figure of £10k - £12k from? Thin air?
When John (Developer) had his done under warranty, the bill, including 32 SLS valve tappets, 4 cam adjusters and 20 modified head bolts was just over £6k. The head bolts alone were £1200 so where is the £10 - £12K bill?
Incidentally, the head bolts can be changed one at a time without the need for the heads to be removed.

Another thing, second hand M156 engines can be found from £7k upwards.
Where the hell do you get £25k for a used engine? Just wrong info.

Have a read.
https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/my-m156-engine-mods-future-proofing.176075/

And put it through a Main Dealers inspection.
I wouldn't. I'd use a reputable indy who knows what he is looking for. How many times have we heard of main dealers missing things ( filters not changed at service time). I'd put my trust in my indy before any main dealer.

But I was advised by a brilliant MB tech. To avoid even if fixed unless it was in the first month!
Then I would say your "brilliant MB tech" is scaremongering. Once fixed, it isn't going to fail again with revised head bolts.

The issue:-
AMG CL/SL 63 AMG 6.2 M156 engine
M156 Headbolt Problem Affects All 2010 and Earlier Cars and Some 2011's
Headbolt issue circa October 2010 onward may be OK but rare.
CL 63 SL 63
Definitively engine no ending greater than 60658 is OK
Stretching headbolts and then tappet buckets
If affected, and not caught in time ... engine is a write off!

Incorrect. Steve@Avantgarde has reported fixing engines with the head bolt issue on engines after 60658.

You really should check your info before posting inaccurrate facts.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Sorry mate this tech guy is the best.
Not just my opinion.
The manager at the infamous “Customer Technical Resolution Department” admitted to me he was probably the best MB Diagnostic Engineer in the UK.

Any friends with Mercs that had problems that couldnt be sorted I sent them to him.
I have never known him not to look at a car, and first time diagnose the problem correctly.

And BTW he’s sorted my car first time, and its ready for collection.

You are potentially misleading that chap.

Its well known MB fought that class action in the US with a fury!
... and how they won Lord knows ... ££££ ;)

Many cars were refused the fix, until they showed the fault!
And then they were fixed ... but how does one know what latent damage lurks there.
Its a gamble that a sensible guy without unlimited funds just would not entertain. Unless the car was dirt cheap! And or he could get warranty.

Yes some early cars didn't have the fault, but even MB were not sure.

Oh well its his choice.
But if I were him I sure would like to be aware of a potential issue like that!

But of course you know better.

My recommendation for a Main Dealer was purely to do with being kind to Indys, who are kind to us ( wiz reasonable pricing) i.e. were this to lead to a huge bill, its better and kinder to throw that at a massive Main Dealer chain than a hard working Indy!

Last edited:
OP
T

Tidgy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63
Ok so now I am worried, and pretty put off. Basicly if I buy the car I won't have 7k to put a new engine in it. If I'm gonna do that I may as well just forge the engine in my scoob and crank it up to 500bhp.

Is it a crap shoot as to if the issue will arise? Has mb done a recall or anything to sort it? Anyway to know if it's alr3ady been sorted?

How common actually is it?

OP
T

Tidgy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63
I currently have a stock 2.5 Subaru which are knkwnfor doing headgaskets a d ring lands lol

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
.... and if you just went on forum posts, you may think scooby bottom ends are made of cheese :) - drove my twin turbo GTB for six years without a hiccup.

I don’t suppose anything is completely fault free, and Subs Tech mate will be correct (for those that fail) I just wonder what the failure rate is as a % of the number of engines built.

Best of luck finding a good one, I’d just be wary of that outlets recent reviews.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Ok so now I am worried, and pretty put off. Basicly if I buy the car I won't have 7k to put a new engine in it. If I'm gonna do that I may as well just forge the engine in my scoob and crank it up to 500bhp.

Is it a crap shoot as to if the issue will arise? Has mb done a recall or anything to sort it? Anyway to know if it's alr3ady been sorted?

How common actually is it?

I was really sad, as thats my favourite engine sound and love the idea of no turbos to go wrong.

I was advised to just go a little later yearwise and get the 5.5L AMG engine, just as much power, probably a tad more (not that you would need it :)) and better mpg (not that, that is a consideration if you are going amg) and the later engine is quote “pretty much bombproof one of the best MB made !”

IMO its not worth the risk, just pay a bit more and get the later one.

As for buying a clean “good ‘un” 6.2L engine, with low mileage and having it fitted for £7,000, you are either dreaming or got very lucky.
I would image any careful mechanic, would take a lot of hours to take one of those out and refit it. And do it properly ... must be a swine of a job.

Fine if you have the skill sets of someone like Alex, who seems to be able to do pretty much anything.
Otherwise you'll be paying a good Indy £70 ph.

If you can get full tier 1 Mercedes Warranty with no exclusions, and you have checked that point in writing before hand, thats a different matter. Even then I would worry, they wouldnt argue hey its BER we value that car at £16K or whatever!

If you still dont think its an issue, read some of the stuff on the US Websites.
Eg Guy pays $70,000 for a low milege 4 year old. It goes bad and is told its $40,000 to fix, complains to MB who tells him to f*ck off!
Worse still MB US lie and say no known issue, a sympathetic mechanic gives him a tech doc explaining the problem dated before his car was shipped!
Still no joy. :(:(

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Jesus H....!!
What a dramatic thread here
It’s an hour from Leicester to Birmingham...my advice if you’re really interested in the car is to negotiate with this garage to get the car to Acid at MSL for a full inspection then make your decision based on that, he’ll also be able to access online service history for you. Just my twopence

OP
T

Tidgy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63
hmm, so its well inside the window then.

really not sure what to do, was planning to have MB nottingham give it a once over, but my be after i pick it up head straight there rather than before purchase.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
hmm, so its well inside the window then.

really not sure what to do, was planning to have MB nottingham give it a once over, but my be after i pick it up head straight there rather than before purchase.

You would be better going to MSL.

There are loads for sale so have another look around

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I currently have a stock 2.5 Subaru which are knkwnfor doing headgaskets a d ring lands lol

Funnily enough I recently put a set of Pistons in one of these for my friends son. Surprisingly not too bad a job!

image.jpg

The internet is great. You'd never buy anything if you looked at all the reviews first! Very few people actually bother to chime in if they've had no trouble at all. Those who have a bad time will always want to vent about it though! Quite a few high mile m156's are for sale. They've not all blown up at 60k

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom