Urgently want to know how to turn off stop start ... on this hideous GLC 220d 4 Matic

CLKToday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK430 2000 4.3 V8 2011-2018 E400 Coupe V6 3.0 2018-
My two pence worth: I’ve just handed back a GLC350d 4matic that I had for two weeks whilst MB Watford repaired the climate control on my E400 coupe. I have to say I loved it! The stop start can be turned off with a button next to the comand controller. I’ve never been a fan of stop/start but when it was on it wasn’t an issue, instant response on hitting the throttle. As far as fit and finish goes I thought it no different to any other Mercedes I’ve driven, C, E, CLK, ML & S...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Must admit I had a GLA a couple of years ago when my last 212 gave up the ghost and MB attempted to repair it- it was pleasantly surprising!

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Stop start can be permanently turned off if desired ;-)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Rolling back can be prevented if the left foot is applied to the brake pedal. Or, if you use the parking brake as you would during your driving test. Is it really that difficult?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Rolling back can be prevented if the left foot is applied to the brake pedal. Or, if you use the parking brake as you would during your driving test. Is it really that difficult?

When I was invited to a speed awareness course many years ago :rolleyes: I hot told off for left foot braking :confused: apparently I might have pressed both pedals at the same time o_O

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Does stopstart really improve emissions? In the real world, not the vw test rolling road.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
From what I've heard it helps manufacturers meet CO2 figures but does little for the owner.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
It can save the owner a little money if it puts your car in a lower ved band, and company cars drivers can benefit as a lower band will reduce benefit in kind taxation. I quite like the quietness when sat at traffic lights but I seem to be in a minority here.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I find that silence off-putting when driving the missus car that has the stopstart. And in most modern luxury cars you don't really hear the engine at idle.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Does stopstart really improve emissions? In the real world, not the vw test rolling road.

It didnt seem to excel in my very brief trial.
But I could see, say in one of our horrrible summer traffic jams e.g. on the way to the coast, it might save a lot of fuel.

Personally, I am too old, to accept tht starting an engine say 20x in one journey, is not adversely wearing out the starter motor and the toothed ring on the crankshaft.

And I dont think the prognosis is good for future buyers of say 6 year old cars.
As my next car will no doubt have it ... I will just get warranty that covers this. So no worries.

Call me cynical, but I suspect MB probably designed the components to last 4 years and 60,000 miles, i.e. they are covered.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Personally, I am too old, to accept tht starting an engine say 20x in one journey, is not adversely wearing out the starter motor and the toothed ring on the crankshaft.

The problem is that anyone who is mostly driving in conditions where the stop-start is kicking in 20x in a very short space of time probably should be finding another means of transport like walking, cycling or public transport.

Anyone who would only have start-stop kick in once or twice at the few traffic lights or the occasional traffic jam will not see any meaningful reduction in overall average fuel consumption so it is pointless.

I suppose the start-stop engine would make sense for taxi drivers if the Prius hadn't been invented 20 years ago which gives much more efficiency in town along with proper longevity and reliability.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I hate the stop/start feature, when we first got our car it was working all the time so like many others we would just press the button in the car each time we started it so it was disabled, but it's a pain in the bum having to remember to do that every time you start the engine. Funny thing was that after about 6mths the stop/start just stopped working and for ages we just left it switch on and it was great. Now the last couple of weeks it's decided to start working again and we are back to turning the flipping thing off everytime we go out. When I had my little Fiat500 that also had stop/start but you could disable it permanently on the dash which was handy.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Hmm on this one, as soon as you touched the brakes the engine cut out.
So you would be back to where you started.
:):)

Once I founf the switch, ( Europcar remove the manuals! And forget to tell you there is an electronic manual in Comand! ) that solved everything. Bit of a pain remembering to turn it off.
Worked fine .. no rolling back.

No fear of buying one, when one sees the kind of gorgeous 2nd hand SL or CL one could buy for £42 K.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
When I was invited to a speed awareness course many years ago :rolleyes: I hot told off for left foot braking :confused: apparently I might have pressed both pedals at the same time o_O

The Porsche High Speed driving course also condemed that practice.
Cant remember why ... and I didn't personally see the problem in using a left boot.
Just did what I was told. :)
Boy could that guy drive a 911 ... :)

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Maybe a high speed driving course in a porker is seen slightly differently then wafting around town in a diesel :)

I think driving schools now teach left foot brake on autos.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Knowing your views on crap MB technology and build quality
I would pay good money to see an uncensored video of you reviewing this pile of garbage, they dare to call a Merc.

Blows my mind that there is a member here who has a B class and has a moniker GLC
Jesus he should drive one of these, and he would instantly prefer to call himsef TREVI .:):)

i have a fairly dim view of the benz tech myself, what i have seen since 01 certainly does not impress with its reliability or for that matter logic. i believe they are really buget oriented in design and designed to have you back in the dealer the day after yr warranty expires .if benz are lucky.. for this matter most other brands may be the same or worse, just that i have 4 benz so thats my experience. stop go ,to me will annoy and half life a starter that probrably takes all day to get out and in and costs the best part of a grand in time,parts .so i not interested . someone WILL devise a cunning way to dissable it .

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
i have a fairly dim view of the benz tech myself, what i have seen since 01 certainly does not impress with its reliability or for that matter logic. i believe they are really buget oriented in design and designed to have you back in the dealer the day after yr warranty expires .if benz are lucky.. for this matter most other brands may be the same or worse, just that i have 4 benz so thats my experience. stop go ,to me will annoy and half life a starter that probrably takes all day to get out and in and costs the best part of a grand in time,parts .so i not interested . someone WILL devise a cunning way to dissable it .
I would concur with you.
The first 3 MBs I had. One 190E 2.6 auto and two E 320 Coupes circa M Reg.
All did 45000 miles each. And I think I lost one sidelight bulb!
IMO thats utterly bomb proof! :):) ... and hey thats on almost budget level.

The R230 SL500s shattered my faith in MBs engineering design and reliability. Beautiful design ..one of the prettiest SLs ever. Fabulous when they ran. But 3 roofs leaked on delivery! And when I lost one ABC strut at 1,400 miles ... wtf.
The S Class level cars are lovely ... but no more bombproof or reliable than a Lexus or BMW.

What really saddens me is the ONE bastion of quality, the good old 5.0L and 5.5L bomb proof engines; look like being killed off and replaced by over egged, turbo-ed up, and no doubt way overstressed 4.0L engines

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
How the F**K do you think a FOUR LITRE engine is going to be overstressed? If it’s producing over 1000bhp then maybe. Otherwise I seriously doubt it.

How many high powered (by design) two or three litre engines suffer catastrophic deaths in comparison? (Hint- very few as % of build).

E class, budget level, do you mean that E class were “budget” cars? Like say a Fiesta? If so, again wrong. They were (and are) built to budgets, but the E (Executive) class sits below the S (Luxury) Class in the model lineup. They’re expensive cars now and they were then.

So, in the nicest way, what are you on about?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom