E270 CDI 2003, broken rear spring

james2747

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI 2003
Can the rear spring be removed using normal spring compressors?
I have recently purchased the car and in the service records it showed both rear springs were replaced in 2008.
I noticed this week that one side of rear was sitting about 3cm lower and further investigation found the drivers side rear spring was broken very near the bottom coil ... so still drivable.
I've had a quick 'read around' on how to replace the rear spring but it mentions special compressors .... can the job of replacing the spring be done without these?
I do have 2 lots of 'standard' spring compressors ... one large size ... one small size but access at the rear doesn't look great.
Any help appreciated.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Never had to use a spring compressors on the rears in standard set up.

I don't recommend a DIY replacement though due to the lower arm and shock absorber removal to access the spring.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Generally rear springs can be removed without spring compressors, raise car, remove wheel, support rear radius arm with another trolly jack, remove shocker & lower radius arm till spring falls out.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Unless it's like the W163, spring and strut come out together, and a garage spring compressor needed to remove spring. I replaced both mine as units.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Unless it's like the W163, spring and strut come out together, and a garage spring compressor needed to remove spring. I replaced both mine as units.
The 211 has a 5 link rear suspension and the coil is independent to the shock absorber.

pic06.jpg

OP
J

james2747

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI 2003
Generally rear springs can be removed without spring compressors, raise car, remove wheel, support rear radius arm with another trolly jack, remove shocker & lower radius arm till spring falls out.
Thanks EmilysDad
Sounds easier than I imagined.
I don't mind a bit of disassembly .... as long as it can all go back together without special tools.
Thanks for the assistance ... much appreciated.
A bigger problem .... which spring!
Went to buy a replacement spring ... (I know you should replace in pairs but can't afford at moment) was offered 3 choices at GSF motor factors.
GSF part numbers 511ME0300 / 511ME0340 / 511ME0720 ... all they could tell me is, "they all fit your car"
I asked them what the difference was between the 3 springs but they couldn't tell me ... and mentioned mine should have colour bands on them and I need to replace with same colour bands.
May need to talk to Mercedes parts people to find out what I need.

OP
J

james2747

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI 2003
Never had to use a spring compressors on the rears in standard set up.

I don't recommend a DIY replacement though due to the lower arm and shock absorber removal to access the spring.
Thanks Westheath
I'm quite competent at the DIY so will give it a go ... just having trouble finding out what springs I need as replacementgs ... see my reply to 'EmilysDad'.
Thanks again.
James

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks EmilysDad
I don't mind a bit of disassembly .... as long as it can all go back together without special tools.
Went to buy a replacement spring ... (I know you should replace in pairs but can't afford at moment) was offered 3 choices at GSF motor factors.
GSF part numbers 511ME0300 / 511ME0340 / 511ME0720 ... all they could tell me is, "they all fit your car"
I asked them what the difference was between the 3 springs but they couldn't tell me ... and mentioned mine should have colour bands on them and I need to replace with same colour bands.
Yes. The springs have coloured marks on them . Easily visible when you jack the car ...unless the spring replacement in 08 wasn't with MB springs.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Thanks EmilysDad

Different springs are the difference between 'go-faster' AMG type bone shaking suspension & wallowy Yank Tank barge like. After market springs for cars in general tend to be a compromise between the opposite ends. There's often a huge difference in price too

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
Oooh. Nasty.

I have the same car, same year.

I had a friend do mine for me. He's mercedes trained.

He had to use internal spring compressors.

There's a hole through the bottom arm once you take the plastic off to compress the spring .

He had to remove the bottom bolt from the shocker to make room. He used a 6 foot bar with me sat on in the end of it to make enough room.

Nasty job. Took about 90 minutes to do both sides.

Some advice on ordering new springs. There will be 3 colours on your old ones. You can cross reference this on the internet to find the part number. This will ensure that the ride height will remain the same. There loads of different ones.

Top Bottom