Leather sport seats vs half leather trim

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Is it me or are the leather seats firmer around the bolsters than the half fake leather trim. I test drove another car last week and the seats generally felt a lot softer?

Last edited:
OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've had to use a cushion today to push my back out of the seat a little as I'm getting some lower rib pain from the bolsters, it's daft as there must be larger people than me driving these cars with these seats. My chest size is 46" and the measurement around the area of discomfort is about 42-43". Do I sound too large for this type of seat?

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I have the leather sports seats in my car and the side bolsters are extremely firm and pronounced.

When I first got the car I did feel uncomfortable but after a fairly short time I got used to them, I now find the seats superb, mine are standard seats without memory function etc but as I’m the only driver it matters not.

I have been in a car with the Artico but I cannot recall if there was a difference.

I’m large build but prefer to think muscular build (my wife may disagree)

Robin

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the leather sports seats in my car and the side bolsters are extremely firm and pronounced.

When I first got the car I did feel uncomfortable but after a fairly short time I got used to them, I now find the seats superb, mine are standard seats without memory function etc but as I’m the only driver it matters not.

I have been in a car with the Artico but I cannot recall if there was a difference.

I’m large build but prefer to think muscular build (my wife may disagree)

Robin
Hi Robin, thanks for replying. I did sit in one that had the half leather trim (maybe fake leather) and it just felt softer, and so when I travelled up 200 miles on the train to test this one I was a little surprised at the difference. Long story short, I had a 1 series as a company car and this was awful to sit in.
The issue I have is that the top of the side bolster dig into my ribs. I'm really hoping that my body gets used to this, as I have no idea what I can do. I cannot use a pillow long term really.
Did you ever get any pain that I have mentioned?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’ve had a 212 with Artico and the current with Nappa leather and the covering is certainly softer on the latter but can’t say I noticed much difference in the bolster firmness - I’m not that observant though !

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I had a Renault 16TX in the 70's properly the most comfortable seats I have had.
The CLK seats were very good, better I think than my current E350CDI.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Hi Robin, thanks for replying. I did sit in one that had the half leather trim (maybe fake leather) and it just felt softer, and so when I travelled up 200 miles on the train to test this one I was a little surprised at the difference. Long story short, I had a 1 series as a company car and this was awful to sit in.
The issue I have is that the top of the side bolster dig into my ribs. I'm really hoping that my body gets used to this, as I have no idea what I can do. I cannot use a pillow long term really.
Did you ever get any pain that I have mentioned?

I’m surprised the bolster is causing you pain but yes they are very firm and pronounced soi don’t doubt what you say.

I have never experienced any pain, my previous car was an E300 SE which had standard seats with less pronounced bolsters I guess these would suit you better.

Robin

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’m surprised the bolster is causing you pain but yes they are very firm and pronounced soi don’t doubt what you say.

I have never experienced any pain, my previous car was an E300 SE which had standard seats with less pronounced bolsters I guess these would suit you better.

Robin
Oh well, I don't drive everyday and so it's not as if I need to commute. I also drive the wife's car so I will park up for a couple of days. I really don't know what I can do if the pain stays every time I drive. I will be gutted if there is no solution but to sell. Can I ask a favour, do you know if your measurement are similar to mine? I'm 46-47" around chest and around 41-42 at the top of my stomach. I need to lose this extra mass so maybe that is key?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It would be very interesting to take a tape measure and determine the difference between the seat sizes in the C and E class, I suspect there will be a slight difference in favour of the latter. My E class has the Avantgarde seats with less pronounced bolsters although it has the sport bodywork and handling package

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It would be very interesting to take a tape measure and determine the difference between the seat sizes in the C and E class, I suspect there will be a slight difference in favour of the latter. My E class has the Avantgarde seats with less pronounced bolsters although it has the sport bodywork and handling package
Worst case (and finding a colour match would be a challenge) could you fit the seats from another model? Or would it make more financial sense to sell and buy a car with a softer cloth trim?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Have you tried the lumbar adjuster on the side of the seat back (above the centre console), push it down to increase the support

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you tried the lumbar adjuster on the side of the seat back (above the centre console), push it down to increase the support
I did have a play when I was driving back from Kendal. Just to add, the discomfort is happening just at the top of the bolsters. I will have another look.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I think it would be possible to make a clamp to stretch the distance between the bolsters, this could be fitted while you weren’t in the car, I don’t think it would take long for it to relax the tension, a sash clamp in reverse with a wooden frame to suit would do the job. As you like the car it’s certainly worth the bit of effort involved, I would certainly have a go

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think it would be possible to make a clamp to stretch the distance between the bolsters, this could be fitted while you weren’t in the car, I don’t think it would take long for it to relax the tension, a sash clamp in reverse with a wooden frame to suit would do the job. As you like the car it’s certainly worth the bit of effort involved, I would certainly have a go
I love the car, it's the best car I've ever owned and have liked the C-class for a very long time. The seat leather and colour look really nice, and everyone that has seen it thinks it's brilliant, so I will do everything possible to keep it. I will look and see what a sash clamp is :). I cannot be the largest person ever to sit in this seats, so lets see.

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I had exactly the same problem with a W212 AMG line with the sports seats, but mine were Artico. I'm a similar size to you and the distance between the side bolsters was just not enough, my shoulders rested on the bolsters rather than on the back of the seat. This was one of the factors that made me trade it in after 18 months and I now have an SE model with leather which is far more comfortable, although bizzarely these seats don't have lumber adjustment!

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had exactly the same problem with a W212 AMG line with the sports seats, but mine were Artico. I'm a similar size to you and the distance between the side bolsters was just not enough, my shoulders rested on the bolsters rather than on the back of the seat. This was one of the factors that made me trade it in after 18 months and I now have an SE model with leather which is far more comfortable, although bizzarely these seats don't have lumber adjustment!
ok, that's not good, I was hoping that maybe over time they would relax a little.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I love the car, it's the best car I've ever owned and have liked the C-class for a very long time. The seat leather and colour look really nice, and everyone that has seen it thinks it's brilliant, so I will do everything possible to keep it. I will look and see what a sash clamp is :). I cannot be the largest person ever to sit in this seats, so lets see.

They are designed for BFGs after all ;)

Have you adjusted the other aspects of the seat? Coming from a W221 S Klasse with armchairs, to my W166 GLE which has sports seats with bolsters, Ive found raising the seat squab, straightening the seat back and winding the lumbar adjustment forward gives me adequate comfort and support. Basically being a bit more upright. I'm now a similar size to you, must get off the snacks!!

BFG is not Big Friendly Giant, but Big Fat Germans :alien::alien:

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are designed for BFGs after all ;)

Have you adjusted the other aspects of the seat? Coming from a W221 S Klasse with armchairs, to my W166 GLE which has sports seats with bolsters, Ive found raising the seat squab, straightening the seat back and winding the lumbar adjustment forward gives me adequate comfort and support. Basically being a bit more upright. I'm now a similar size to you, must get off the snacks!!

BFG is not Big Friendly Giant, but Big Fat Germans :alien::alien:
That's what I thought! I have moved the seat around a little, I could do this again. If I tilt the seat too much I feel like I am falling onto the steering wheel.
I'm off to a MB dealer, maybe I should ask them?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom