Cut and Buff Step by step Instruction

brian bray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300 sl
I need some cut and buff guidance. I have a '91 300 SL that was a quality repaint in a red single stage (original color) some years ago but was never buffed out. There is enough paint thickness for a cut and buff.

I started on the hood with considerable improvement but have not been able to eliminate all of the sanding scratches from my efforts.

I have done everything by hand as follows:

1) I keep the surface wet and use a rubber sanding block;
2) I begin with 1000 grit paper;
3) then to 2000 grit paper;
4) then to 2500 grit paper;
5) then to rubbing compound;
6) then to polishing compound.

When I finish all of the above, the surface is absolutely smooth as glass eliminating all the discoloring BUT there are some sanding scratches remaining that keep the look short of perfect.

Suggestions either for product, technique, equipment, etc.? I can tell that a much better result is within reach but I need some guidance to help me get there.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Bray

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Hi Brian

You've done all that by hand? Crikey, thats a lot of arm work.

Have you tried using a machine polisher? I suspect it'll get the majority of the sanding marks out with the right pad, compound & polish combo. And much less arm work.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Spend £40-50 and buy aDA polisher. Makes it SO much easier.

You must have an arm like Popeye now, hope you swapped hands or...
02AA521E-3081-491A-9DB3-2F6C3D864742.jpeg

OP
B

brian bray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300 sl
Hi Brian

You've done all that by hand? Crikey, thats a lot of arm work.

Have you tried using a machine polisher? I suspect it'll get the majority of the sanding marks out with the right pad, compound & polish combo. And much less arm work.
Binnedit,
Thanks for your reply and concern. Fortunately, I have only done the hood so far. I am not a masochist so I stopped and got online searching for shortcuts and/or technique suggestions. There are some excellent how-to videos. I also got an offer from a neighbor to borrow his buffer which I'll accept. Things are looking up.

Brian Bray

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Just be careful if its a powerful rotary (only) polisher. You can burn through very quickly if you dont keep it moving.

If its a dual action polisher, it should be much safer.

OP
B

brian bray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300 sl
Just be careful if its a powerful rotary (only) polisher. You can burn through very quickly if you dont keep it moving.

If its a dual action polisher, it should be much safer.
Thanks for the warning; I'll be sure to heed. Because I live in Tucson, AZ (over 100 degrees today) I won't be working on the car.

Top Bottom