W204 replacement

fifthwheel

Reaction score
Hi all, it looks as if my 2010 W204 is going to be a total loss O/S front corner damage.
Its a poverty spec 1.6 petrol manual. We have owned it five years its been a great car.
Looking for a bit of advice as to its replacement. We are both retired and dont often carry passengers as the grand kids are old enough to want to do their own thing now. We dont want anything any bigger than a C class we could manage with a smaller car I suppose. I dont mind petrol or diesel but would prefer petrol, any size engine as we dont do a lot of miles. I want to steer clear of the M271 engine if possible, an estate would be ideal. Three to four years old would suit us. The insurance seem to be standing firm on £4900 payout. It was a nice car but had 142000 miles. Thanks John.

amustali

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ml320 cdi, iridium silver
Would you only like to spend the £4900 the insurance is paying or will you be adding money on top? If so how much would you add? It Could hugely affect the car you buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Will you get to keep the car after the payout? I had a car written off years ago and the insurance company said it wasn't worth picking up so I kept it. Used the money to fit the door and got a respray.

amustali

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ml320 cdi, iridium silver
Will you get to keep the car after the payout? I had a car written off years ago and the insurance company said it wasn't worth picking up so I kept it. Used the money to fit the door and got a respray.

Probably not as they could get a return on it depending on the damage, he could potentially buy it back if they give him the option to but looks like he wants an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
I asked about the salvage they want £1400. We will put around £6 to £7K to the upgrade. My son has shown an interest in the car we will have to get it on a lift and check it out. We have a dashcam in the car but never checked it was working, on checking it hasnt recorded anything since last September. I assumed it was working and just recording over its self, thats a lesson learned.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Looking to spend about £12k would get you a fairly recent S204 with full leather, heated seats and lots of other toys, but be aware that having the Comand satnav on MY2011 onward cars means map updates are expensive, also service interval is 15.5k miles/1 year, whichever comes first even on early 204's like mine - that's if you decide to follow instructions from Assyst!!

I would also be tempted to look at a Skoda estate, they've had very good write-ups for quite a while.

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
I have had a look at a few C class cars online with semi auto transmission are these ok and considered reliable? thanks john.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Reliable cars John, which particular model interested you most? What kind of mileage do you do by the way?

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
We dont do the mileage these days John only around 6000 per year. We have a w211 from 2005 as a second car that does about 5000. I am snow blinded by the choice, I have been looking at 2012 to 2014 C class, E class petrol and diesel. As we have a W203 2.2CDI saloon on sorn I am taxing for the first of June we have transport without rushing into anything, I can wait for the right car to come along then sell the 203. The ideal car I am leaning to is an estate auto preferably petrol but will buy diesel if I have to. I have an account with Manheim so that is looking like the source at the minute. As I dont do car dealing anymore I cant believe the charges these auctions take from punters like me, I only have the advantage account I dont buy enough cars to qualify for better terms. In January this year I bought a non runner for £525 after the charges, vat and £40 for buying online I ended up paying nearly £800:(

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
That last post suggests you know your way around car buying, so - as you say - take your time, find the peach, and bid low. There are other peaches on the tree. Do you still have trade plates? If so, auctions are still your best bet.

I've bought many a car, sight unseen (we used a spotter) from auctions, and nearly all have worked out well. Retired many years now, so the scene has obviously changed.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ as above - I think you could advise us!
Take your time you’ve no hurry the right one will come along. You are in a fortunate advantageous position

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
That last post suggests you know your way around car buying, so - as you say - take your time, find the peach, and bid low. There are other peaches on the tree. Do you still have trade plates? If so, auctions are still your best bet.

I've bought many a car, sight unseen (we used a spotter) from auctions, and nearly all have worked out well. Retired many years now, so the scene has obviously changed.

I was a bit late taxing the trade plates a few years ago so they snatched them back. I rent my workshop to my son he has an MOT garage and plates and looks after me. Thanks John.

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
I ask a few questions on here at the same time I have a son in the trade, he sees very few Merc cars and to be honest is not too familiar with them. He tends to work on run of the mill cars if thats the right word and heavy commercials. I appreciate your advice on the forum. John.

OP
F

fifthwheel

Reaction score
An update on the replacement car. I struggled to find a petrol car that suited me and bought a diesel after all.
I bought a black 2011 C200 CDI Estate manual, wait for it it gets worse, it has starship miles 162,000 but it was cheap.
It drives very well, cant fault it apart from the engine is a bit harsh and unrefined on acceleration. Are they all like that?
My old W203 C220 CDI auto isnt as agricultural. Maybe we have been driving petrols for too long and have forgotten what diesels sound like. john.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You bought a ma, a man....a what gearbox? I can’t even say it....;)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
An update on the replacement car. I struggled to find a petrol car that suited me and bought a diesel after all.
I bought a black 2011 C200 CDI Estate manual, wait for it it gets worse, it has starship miles 162,000 but it was cheap.
It drives very well, cant fault it apart from the engine is a bit harsh and unrefined on acceleration. Are they all like that?
My old W203 C220 CDI auto isnt as agricultural. Maybe we have been driving petrols for too long and have forgotten what diesels sound like. john.
You should drive some of the so called cars I've had for work. Your car is luxury, even if it is a manual! Lol

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom