C220 v c200 w205 stage 1

Kieran Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c220 2015
Hello, currently looking at moving to a c class from my a3 8v. I’m not sure what to go for out of the above engines. Will be doing about 10-12k mileage a year. Would possibly like to go stage 1 remap at some point. What do you think would be quicker at stage one? Any common issues with these engines? I heard the c200 is very quiet compared to the diesel. I will probably get the auto gearbox with amg line and sun roof.

Thanks

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hello, currently looking at moving to a c class from my a3 8v. I’m not sure what to go for out of the above engines. Will be doing about 10-12k mileage a year. Would possibly like to go stage 1 remap at some point. What do you think would be quicker at stage one? Any common issues with these engines? I heard the c200 is very quiet compared to the diesel.

Depends what you want, are you buying new??

12k is on the cusp of the Petrol / Diesel conundrum

I will DEFINATELY get the auto gearbox

Edited that for you ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ this...if you’ve not driven a diesel before you’ll find the torque from the 220 will give you a nice kick, but undoubtedly the 4 pot diesel will be noisier than the petrol. If that’s your decider then off you go that way- although economy will be less efficient on the petrol. As JB says, your mileage is on the cusp.
Mercedes cars suit Automatic gearboxes and they are sublime. You will NOT go back once you’ve had one

OP
K

Kieran Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c220 2015
Thanks for the responses guys. The mrs will use about 9k mileage during the week for work, then il use it for evenings/weekends but I want a bit of kick. I have the 1.8 auto a3 which is approx the same as the c200 petrol. The car will be used, approx 15/16 plate. I think if I can average 45+mpg on the petrol then il go for that.
It will be my first merc so I’m just trying to learn a bit more about the engines/models variants etc. I was originally looking at the cla but it looks a bit too long

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Edited that for you ;)

Or even DEFINITELY.

For today's driving conditions, manual boxes can't compete with modern auto boxes any more.

OP
K

Kieran Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c220 2015
Thanks for the edit I’m going for the auto, it’s the petrol/diesel choice I’m weighing up

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think if I can average 45+mpg on the petrol then il go for that.

No chance

I was originally looking at the cla but it looks a bit too long

CLA 250 in petrol form is a great car, smaller than the C Class and very quick, looks great in AMG form

Something like this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

Wagon:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ly New&onesearchad=New&model=CLA CLASS&page=1

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Edited that for you ;)

Or even DEFINITELY.

For today's driving conditions, manual boxes can't compete with modern auto boxes any more.
I resisted that....really childish :p:D;):rolleyes:

OP
K

Kieran Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c220 2015
I think I’m going for the c250 now, thanks anyway

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
In the smaller engines just avoid petrol. Why would you want a car that big with so few torques? Just go diesel. Running costs are even Stevens and the performance leap is way over worth it. I drove an A3 8P 2.0 TDI Sport before moving to the E220 CDI Auto and hands down the Merc was the winner in every way I could compare.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
^ this...if you’ve not driven a diesel before you’ll find the torque from the 220 will give you a nice kick, but undoubtedly the 4 pot diesel will be noisier than the petrol. If that’s your decider then off you go that way- although economy will be less efficient on the petrol. As JB says, your mileage is on the cusp.
Mercedes cars suit Automatic gearboxes and they are sublime. You will NOT go back once you’ve had one

Unless you pick them like me LOL

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the smaller engines just avoid petrol. Why would you want a car that big with so few torques? Just go diesel. Running costs are even Stevens and the performance leap is way over worth it. I drove an A3 8P 2.0 TDI Sport before moving to the E220 CDI Auto and hands down the Merc was the winner in every way I could compare.

My mother has a Merc C250CGi, 1.8 TT petrol, in gear it is very punchy, much more than I expected

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ermmm, yes ok! How’s the beemer behaving?

So far flawless. Still prefer the Mercedes forums though. The community is better and more helpful. And I can sometimes offer some half decent advice lol

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
So far flawless. Still prefer the Mercedes forums though. The community is better and more helpful. And I can sometimes offer some half decent advice lol
Indeed you do, and yes a fairly happy bunch on here as well. Best of the MB Forums IMO

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Indeed you do, and yes a fairly happy bunch on here as well. Best of the MB Forums IMO

I will probably come back at some point. It was a case of at the time of looking for a replacement, I did want a facelift 218, but the premium for them was and still is very strong. Could not justify spending that much on one with nearly 70k miles, when my current one set me back the same but with 18k on the clock. Could not justify the difference for how long I am intending on keeping.

That said, a C257 is looking promising for my future purchase :)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom