Slk 200 R172 2011 oil consumption

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 : SLK 200, AMG , R172 Eng' 271.861
Dear All
Having travelled approx 400 miles since I last checked the dip stick oil level was at Max, I am concerned that the level is exactly half way between Max and min. . I do not know the quantity used as I have yet to buy oil (that's the next confusion). I also have no prior knowledge of the consumption as I have only owned the car for 3 weeks . Does this strike anyone as indicating a problem, I have never needed to take oil with me on a long road trip before but this car seems to require me to do so.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards

Tedfred

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
It is hard to say. Do you have some sort of service history? Receipts, books, electronic book at the main dealer. It is not common for these engines to consume oil. Maybe you checked the oil level straight after the car was shutdown? For this engine you should use 229.5 oil spec, I would go for 5W-30 or 0W-40, they will be OK for you car.

Here is the list, anything from it will be OK.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

If you don't know what oil was in it, you can use LiquiMoly Engine Flush for your first time oil flush.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Dear All
Having travelled approx 400 miles since I last checked the dip stick oil level was at Max, I am concerned that the level is exactly half way between Max and min. . I do not know the quantity used as I have yet to buy oil (that's the next confusion). I also have no prior knowledge of the consumption as I have only owned the car for 3 weeks . Does this strike anyone as indicating a problem, I have never needed to take oil with me on a long road trip before but this car seems to require me to do so.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards

Tedfred
Has the oil been checked at the same hot or cold temperature on the same level ground as before ?

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Wighty for your response

It been checked on both occasions within about 30 mins of the engine being switched off.
There is a very slight change in gradient on the drive which could have shifted the oil from the rear of the engine to the front but you have to look very very closely to see the difference in slope. I will of course move the car back into its previous position and check once more but will be surprised ( and embarrassed) if that proves to be the cause.

A second point is what oil to refill it with, the hand book quotes MB part numbers which is meaningless, Europarts quote many manufacturers with Mobil Engine Oil (1 ESP Engine Oil - 5W-30 - 5ltr) costing £64 , down to their " BEST SELLER" i.e. TRIPLE QX Engine Oil (Fully Synthetic Engine Oil Engine Oil - 5W-40 - 5ltr) at a bargain price of £25 .
Does the fact that one being twice the price of the other mean its twice as good? Or put another way, does one invalidate your warranty whilst the other does not. Strange the cheapest is the best seller, does this mean MB drivers are a bunch of cheapskates ?

Regards

Tedfred

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My Apologies mrmb,

I read Wighty's post and responded before seeing yours. Your info' is invaluable and answers my question, many thanks.
I just wish I was aware of all the sources of this information.
The car has a full service history at the same dealership , though I have to say given my experience, if their Service Dept operates to the same standard as their Sales and Paint Shop then there could be anything in the engine. I am afraid I have little to no faith in the dealership.

Many Thanks again

Regards Tedfred

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I use MB's 229.5 5w40 in the Clk , which will be the same as yours (I can also use 229.51 5w30 which is the same as my E class diesel ) .
I buy it from eBay usually in 20L containers for £62 delivered , I think you can get the same oil in 10L form for around £35 .
I wonder if the car had done a lot of short mileage trips before you bourght it , then condensation had built up within the oil which has since burnt off now you are doing increased mileage ???
Something that occurred on the Clk when the spark plugs were replaced was that the 8 bolts that are used to hold the electrical fittings on top if the spark plugs were not tightened correctly . They also hold the top cover gasket down , so oil was escaping from the top cover into the spark plug seats . But you would then see that oil somewhere on the side of the engine , so it's unlikely .
I wouldn't worry yet , just top the oil up again and see if the oil loss continues

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunetly on his engine he cannot use 229.51 as it is a CGI engine :( so he cannot use low ash oils.

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Wighty,

I will search e bay immediately.

Regards

tedfred

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi All,

As I have yet to obtain anything meaningful in terms of wiz discs or any other technical details, I feel totally blind here.
Would someone explain what a CGI engine is/means.

Regards as ever

Tedfred

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
On almost all newer MB's (2000+) there is 2L between Max and Min

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
CGI is common rail gasoline injection.
This engine injects fuel directly into the combustion chamber unlike previous engines that inject into the inlet port just before the valves.

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your replies LostKiwi, alexanderfoti,

I am learning

Regards Tefred

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dear All,

My worst fears have bean confirmed, the oil level has dropped to the half way point between max and min on the dipstick over a mileage of mere 250 miles, which seems strange indeed.
I am now trying to get a straight answer for Inchcape Mercedes in North Oxford as to whether I will be charged £160 for an investigation into the problem, which seems rather odd seeing that the car is supposed to have a 3 year warranty. The service manager was supposed to phone me back earlier this week but did not. I telephoned again today and was told he would phone me back today but he failed to do so. I am seeing a clear picture now and am starting to regret buying this car, it has been a on going struggle since day one. I am beginning to think this warranty is worthless.

Does anyone know whether there is any form of crank case breather assembly attached to this R172 engine, the failure/blockage of which could cause a excessive crankcase pressure to cause the oil to blow past the rings?? Its just an initial thought. The other thought is that as the car has done 18000 miles since new, 7 years ago, has the lack of use caused some other fault to occur.

Regards To All

Tedfred

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
I think i would be rejecting the car and handing it back.

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have bought the car directly from the main dealer, having the warranty on it etc. I would contact main Mercedes Benz Office in UK and explain the information to them.

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Wighty,

I'll order 500 Litres it looks like I will be needing it

Regards

Tedfred

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dear All,

In the spirit of fair play, I must correct the details contained in an earlier post, the Service Manager at the Mercedes dealership in Oxford did telephone me this afternoon, I have only just received the voice mail. I take back my earlier comment.
Let's see what transpires tomorrow, is it £160 for an investigation under the warranty or is it £80 after signing a disclaimer that you will agree to what ever the Technician reports. as explained in Newbury Mercedes? £80 it seems is 30 mins work.

Do these dealers make it up as they go along, inventing pricing dependent on what they estimate you can afford?

Regards to All

Tedfred

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom