Decals removed but outline still visible.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I have removed the V6T decals from the wings on my S5 but on one side the car has had some paintwork repair and you can see that the decals were not removed before the wing was painted. It looks like it may be just clearcoat overspray, what can I do to smooth out the clearcoat and remove the V6T outline?

Thanks

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I'm thinking it will need a bit more than T-cut, possibly a light sanding and then a polish.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
This is not looking good....I have taken to car to a couple of body shops, both think the wing needs a complete respray with one quote at £300! Still waiting for the other quote.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Not good then, cheaper to put the decals back on I guess unless they annoy you that much.

Robin
You would think something can be done without a respray. Its only clearcoat sprayed on top of clearcoat to blend the new paint in.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
This is not looking good....I have taken to car to a couple of body shops, both think the wing needs a complete respray with one quote at £300! Still waiting for the other quote.

I wonder what those body shops would have suggested if you'd driven in with an 'also ran' Astra/Focus/etc :confused:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You will have to repaint as decals tend to have a fine line of dirt,black, around the outline, not visible when the decal is in place,
once it has been taped or lacquered over, this line will now be underneath the lacquer... and very hard to remove.
A picture may give a better idea of how bad it is.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
You will have to repaint as decals tend to have a fine line of dirt,black, around the outline, not visible when the decal is in place,
once it has been taped or lacquered over, this line will now be underneath the lacquer... and very hard to remove.
A picture may give a better idea of how bad it is.
I will try tomorrow to get a photo, its tricky as the reflection of the paintwork is almost mirror like.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Progress is being made. I have lightly sanded the paintwork and removed the outline. I have used copious amounts of T-cut but still have light scratch marks from the sanding, the paintwork has a slight sheen/reflection but no where near that of the shine of the surrounding paintwork. Should i continue with the T-cut or will an ultra fine wet sand be better followed by more T-cut?

Thanks

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Stop with the T Cut...start with very fine polish now.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Success.....the badge outline has gone. Its not a 100% fix but it is good enough for me. Here is what I did........

1. Sanded the area with a medium grade sandpaper.
2. Wet sanded the area with 2500 grade sandpaper.
3. Halfords Super Fine Finishing Pad.
4. T-cut smooth out any light sandpaper marks.
5. Polished area with Autoglym Super Resin Polish
6. Applied Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Top Bottom