My poor Mercedes.

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0006.JPG Unfortunately a tank of a Volvo hit us real hard up the backside on Monday, I was sat at traffic lights just talking to the wife sat beside me when I thought a bomb had gone off. It me quite a few minutes to realise what had happened. The poor little girl driving the Volvo just didn't stop or even slow down, just ploughed right into us. I'm a bit worried the car might be classed as a write off because no way will the insurance pay me what it's worth or what I paid not so long ago and I have spent money on it.
It didn't look too bad at first, a new tailgate, bumper and lights but having a closer look all the gaps around the doors are wrong. I'll post a few pics.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
EmilysMum had an Astra written off in similar circumstances, the near side door fouled the wheel arch when you opened & closed it.
All you can do re being paid out is present the insurers with all receipts for work carried out & Auto Trader adverts for similar cars .... & don't accept the first offer.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
If your towbar transmitted the impact force through the chassis of the car, which looks likely, it saved cosmetic damage, but I think you'll find that the whole geometry of the chassis may now be distorted.
Does it steer accurately like it did before the accident, or can you feel a difference?
If repaired, it would need to go on a dedicated jig before the cosmetic areas were even touched.
Write-off? I would guess at 50/50, but the assessor has the final word, not me.

Some years ago, crossing France on the way back from Gozo, we stopped at a village zebra crossing. French motorists don't usually do that, and we were thumped from behind as a result. We had a towbar. The guy behind had steam coming out from his crumpled front end, but the damage to our car looked minimal. When we got to the UK my son (bodyshop man) said to me, 'Dad, your car's been squozed!' it had indeed been shortened by a small amount, and the rear door shut lines were very close, but I just kept using it and sold it years later still going well. Luck of the draw.

Hope it works out for you, whichever way it goes.
Nasty experience.

OP
Rob.T

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
If your towbar transmitted the impact force through the chassis of the car, which looks likely, it saved cosmetic damage, but I think you'll find that the whole geometry of the chassis may now be distorted.
Does it steer accurately like it did before the accident, or can you feel a difference?
If repaired, it would need to go on a dedicated jig before the cosmetic areas were even touched.
Write-off? I would guess at 50/50, but the assessor has the final word, not me.

Some years ago, crossing France on the way back from Gozo, we stopped at a village zebra crossing. French motorists don't usually do that, and we were thumped from behind as a result. We had a towbar. The guy behind had steam coming out from his crumpled front end, but the damage to our car looked minimal. When we got to the UK my son (bodyshop man) said to me, 'Dad, your car's been squozed!' it had indeed been shortened by a small amount, and the rear door shut lines were very close, but I just kept using it and sold it years later still going well. Luck of the draw.

Hope it works out for you, whichever way it goes.
Nasty experience.

She missed the tow bar, hit the outside quarter full on which worries me more.

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
You will have to check full geometry of the chassis. The whole thing can be bended. I had a similar situation with my older W204 but I have been rear ended directly into the center of the vehicle. I ended up not having having a half of my boot and thanks to the active headrest system, my neck was saved. I have spent 2 months at my physio as my neck was bad for that time. When Mercedes check the geometry of the vehicle they have told me that the rear left wheel was moved towards the front about 0.5cm which is a lot. Car ended up with Cat C, I was a bit surprised to see the car driving around the town again 3 months after the crash :-(

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
She missed the tow bar, hit the outside quarter full on which worries me more.

... and the towbar has a full width steel bracing bar behind the plastic outer bumper, bolted to the chassis at each extremity. If the rear quarter was hit, the bracing bar would have taken some of the impact. As said above, 5mm is sufficient to distort the chassis alignment, and possibly the steering geometry. Hence my earlier question about your steering characteristics.

OP
Rob.T

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
... and the towbar has a full width steel bracing bar behind the plastic outer bumper, bolted to the chassis at each extremity. If the rear quarter was hit, the bracing bar would have taken some of the impact. As said above, 5mm is sufficient to distort the chassis alignment, and possibly the steering geometry. Hence my earlier question about your steering characteristics.

I haven't driven the car since the accident, "fix auto" are picking the car up tomorrow, my wife has driven it and she is sure it's not the same, said she felt a shudder a few times that was never there before.
I'm still feeling the shock and back pain, though the head restraint safety system that I knew nothing about before hand must have saved our necks. Wife has a small amount of discomfort, nothing worth mentioning but I am a bit worse for wear and not ready to jump back behind the wheel yet.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Nasty... now crack on with whiplash claim x 2 ;)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Sorry to hear of the accident but do not settle any accident claim for injury for a number of months, it took about 2 months for some of my wife's symptoms to come out aft someone hit her from the rear at a roundabout. We also now think it was the accident that trigger her fibromyalgia which now causes a lot of pain.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
A similar thing happened to the wife , in her Juke .She was rear ended at a set of lights a few weeks ago by a driver who didn`t even attempt to stop prior to impact.

Bumper cover was damaged as was the impact protection behind it ,there was also very minimal intrusion into the wheel well. The boot closed fine as did both rear doors.

Before the courtesy car was factored into the equation the bill stood at £2500.

Kenny

OP
Rob.T

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
Nasty... now crack on with whiplash claim x 2 ;)
Wife has told the insurance company she is now fine and doesn't want to claim, just a little discomfort. I am in a lot more pain and am considering pressing on with a claim. I have up to 3 years to think about it lol.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
As above, wait a month or so before dismissing any claim for injury.
It took a month for my problem to surface, by which time I had completed forms etc and then too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Rob.T

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
Confirmed yesterday, a write off sadly. I am not waiting around for the insurance to pay out, I am stressed enough as it is. I am looking at another Mercedes on Saturday, 2.2 CDi sport again, I loved the one that has just been wrecked.
I am getting my first physiotherapy session on Sunday so things seem to be moving along nicely at the moment.

OP
Rob.T

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
Bob how did the Vplvo come off after this ?.

Worse than my Mercedes if that is at all possible, smoking, a crumpled front end and bonnet, the near side wing was wrapped around the wheel.

OP
Rob.T

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
Bought this one today, a 2011 version of our destroyed one. We have looked at so many but this one looks awesome, hopefully be ready before we lose our hire car.
IMG_1178.JPG Not been paid out yet but the insurers have promised to pay out on Monday.
Physio was fantastic

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
Just catching up on this....sorry to hear this happened bu glad you and the Mrs are ok....cars are replaceable at the end of the day. Being the cynic I am....I bet the volvo driver was using their phone hence not even braking.

OP
Rob.T

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
I'm convinced she was on her phone, I thought the Police might have asked to check it out but all they did was get the breathalyser out and that was the end of that.

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Bought this one today, a 2011 version of our destroyed one. We have looked at so many but this one looks awesome, hopefully be ready before we lose our hire car.
View attachment 43710 Not been paid out yet but the insurers have promised to pay out on Monday.
Physio was fantastic
Hi Rob sorry to hear about your troubles, but the car in the picture looks beautiful.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom