What would you buy if Mercedes didn't exist

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Saw one at Mawgan Porth yesterday morning... Sounded superb going up the hill.

Do it. DO IT!

(Can you tell I'm living car life through other people still?) :)
I looked at a 2011 model in the same garage where I bought my SL, nicely appointed inside but when I did my research it put me off, bad driving position, very thirsty, £1500+ servicing, and usual AM reliability issues..

Mercedes SL500 R231

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Saw one at Mawgan Porth yesterday morning... Sounded superb going up the hill.

Do it. DO IT!

(Can you tell I'm living car life through other people still?) :)
There is one in the factory unit next to mine , 2010 and immaculate...as you say it sounds lovely as it passes my office window :cool:
I’d have to give up the 63 though which is a bit early in my original plans...
However there is something afoot at work which might facilitate but probably early next year so you never know:shock:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I looked at a 2011 model in the same garage where I bought my SL, nicely appointed inside but when I did my research it put me off, bad driving position, very thirsty, £1500+ servicing, and usual AM reliability issues..

Mercedes SL500 R231
Might have asked this before but did you pick up the SL from Safwat?
Picking up on your comments..
- driving position I’d have to check, guess that would kill it if so, haven’t driven one yet
- very thirsty ...used to that
- servicing is a valid point and I’ve not seen many Aston Indy’s (not around here anyway)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Might have asked this before but did you pick up the SL from Safwat?
Picking up on your comments..
- driving position I’d have to check, guess that would kill it if so, haven’t driven one yet
- very thirsty ...used to that
- servicing is a valid point and I’ve not seen many Aston Indy’s (not around here anyway)
Yes Safwat, always great selection there dangerous being on my doorstep!

Mercedes SL500 R231

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes Safwat, always great selection there dangerous being on my doorstep!

Mercedes SL500 R231
Cool! That’s where I got my 63 (and they took my SL500 too which didn’t seem to hang around too long I noticed). I found them nice people to deal with despite the fact I didn’t want finance, GAP insurance, extended warranty or any other add ons. I still have them in my favourites and have a mooch when it takes my fancy

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I would choose a C class over the A class if I were you, with your propensity for fast cars maybe a C63??

Mercedes SL500 R231
Thankyou for your reply.
I do rather like the C-class. Missus is having some input and she prefers hatchbacks. C-class added to the list as I now feel I'm not going to get brand new, rather 6 months-3 years old depending.

I had paint correction done on one of my cars by an Alfa enthusiast who has a Red Giulia Super (2.0 Turbo). Tan leather interior 2017 plate and it is not only lovely to behold it's rather nice and quite quick to drive.

Went to an Alfa dealer nr Knutsford at the weekend and my missus also likes the Giulietta. So now we have
A-Class
C-Class
Giulia
Giulietta (Veloce) has to be that or at least a Sport.
Civic

That'll be enough now :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thankyou for your reply.
I do rather like the C-class. Missus is having some input and she prefers hatchbacks. C-class added to the list as I now feel I'm not going to get brand new, rather 6 months-3 years old depending.

I had paint correction done on one of my cars by an Alfa enthusiast who has a Red Giulia Super (2.0 Turbo). Tan leather interior 2017 plate and it is not only lovely to behold it's rather nice and quite quick to drive.

Went to an Alfa dealer nr Knutsford at the weekend and my missus also likes the Giulietta. So now we have
A-Class
C-Class
Giulia
Giulietta (Veloce) has to be that or at least a Sport.
Civic

That'll be enough now :)

Civic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cool! That’s where I got my 63 (and they took my SL500 too which didn’t seem to hang around too long I noticed). I found them nice people to deal with despite the fact I didn’t want finance, GAP insurance, extended warranty or any other add ons. I still have them in my favourites and have a mooch when it takes my fancy

They have a lovely E400 Cab in stock

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a lovely car mind, and a very nice compromise....

I am sure it can be mapped very nicely as well, I would love an E400 Wagon but they never did one, maybe an E43 then

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
If I needed a new estate car the new Volvo V90 is very handsome.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If I needed a new estate car the new Volvo V90 is very handsome.
Extremely so, IMO the best looking out there.
It was in the last Shetland TV series - stunning
Volvo have really got their act together a real success story

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Extremely so, IMO the best looking out there.
It was in the last Shetland TV series - stunning
Geely have really got Volvo’s act together a real success story

FTFY ;)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Perhaps I bought your SL500?

Mercedes SL500 R231

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
John’s was a 230...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom