What would you buy if Mercedes didn't exist

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
If I needed a new estate car the new Volvo V90 is very handsome.
Extremely so, IMO the best looking out there.
It was in the last Shetland TV series - stunning
Volvo have really got their act together a real success story

Good to hear that they have got their act together now. :)

Back in the late 90's I had a V70R. I had the car because at that time the Police were using them and I thought because of that they had to be good. :)

However it was a car that I could not get comfortable in. Maybe it was my stature, although I think I am pretty normal, but what is normal ?. Secondly it didn't have the performance I thought it would have, albeit it did follow a Sierra Cosworth. Thirdly the rear seat had a relentless squeak, and lastly it went through front tyres like a dog goes through biscuits !! All in all not a car I particularly enjoyed having. :(

Of course things have moved on a pace since then and if Volvo hadn't hugely improved their product they would have gone the same way as Saab !. :rolleyes:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Good to hear that they have got their act together now. :)

Back in the late 90's I had a V70R. I had the car because at that time the Police were using them and I thought because of that they had to be good. :)

However it was a car that I could not get comfortable in. Maybe it was my stature, although I think I am pretty normal, but what is normal ?. Secondly it didn't have the performance I thought it would have, albeit it did follow a Sierra Cosworth. Thirdly the rear seat had a relentless squeak, and lastly it went through front tyres like a dog goes through biscuits !! All in all not a car I particularly enjoyed having. :(

Of course things have moved on a pace since then and if Volvo hadn't hugely improved their product they would have gone the same way as Saab !. :rolleyes:
The new owners (Geely) have a really interesting approach to the car world , they took the shackles off Volvo which Ford had put on and allowed their engineers and designers to do what they are good at..make good cars with minimal restraints. The first product of that was the new XC90, which I have- a glorious car full of great touches , design is faultless and a very nice thing to be in and drive...with character. On this underpinning comes the V90, there is a new XC60 and V60, V40 almost there. They are serious and selling in big numbers now.
If I had to level a criticism it’s the UK lack of engine choices. You have to go way up the range to get a petrol version, and then it’s likely to be hybrid plug in. I had to opt for their 4 pot diesel in the model I wanted for family use. Not a terrible engine and at least no pigs wee, and 235bhp or thereabouts, but a bit noisy...wish they’d do a 3l V6 (or even IL6)Petrol and it would be the complete picture- and in the V90 that would be a serious bit of kit .

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
There’s something very interesting that Geely are doing that I shouldn’t talk about just yet. But let’s just say that what I Roll... Volvo are putting into market now is just the start. The tip of the labrador’s nose as it were.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
There’s something very interesting that Geely are doing that I shouldn’t talk about just yet. But let’s just say that what I Roll... Volvo are putting into market now is just the start. The tip of the labrador’s nose as it were.
Would a Lotus SUV crossover have any ‘bearing’ on it by any chance? (See what I did there?)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Probably look at Audi, I did toss up picking up an A4 or an A6, but after a good look round I find them a little boring. But it could be something that I could live with. No longer a big BMW fan, but wouldn't turn down an M car if it was given to me. I cannot think of a standard everyday car that I would be passionate about driving?
You're looking at the wrong models. Look at the S and RS range great cars IMO. :D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom