Am I Mad to pay the £20k final payment ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Cheers Guys, lots of common sense replies, all giving me a bit of feel good to keep it, my neighbour said if you saw that car on a forecourt for £20k you would buy it, lets face it a ****** focus is over £20k new
If it was a 6* Focus that would be well worth it :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just another thought , what daily mileage are you doing , bearing in mind the diesel dpf (and them not liking short distance low mileage trips )

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just another thought , what daily mileage are you doing , bearing in mind the diesel dpf (and them not liking short distance low mileage trips )

Live on the IoW so I doubt it ever does a long journey

Grotbag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C220 Estate Sport Premium AND 2005 CLK 200K Convertible Avantgarde
I just handed back my 2015 C220 Estate Premium Plus to my fleet company and came off the company car scheme. I had an option to buy it for £20K
Instead I found the same car 2015 in Petrol fully loaded Premium Plus incl HUD. Lane assist etc with 21,000 miles for £21K.
The petrol is so much quieter than the diesel and as you do so little mileage it wont cost you much more.
Decided to finance it via a Halifax loan over 3 years at 3.5% pa although I may just pay it off.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I just handed back my 2015 C220 Estate Premium Plus to my fleet company and came off the company car scheme. I had an option to buy it for £20K
Instead I found the same car 2015 in Petrol fully loaded Premium Plus incl HUD. Lane assist etc with 21,000 miles for £21K.
The petrol is so much quieter than the diesel and as you do so little mileage it wont cost you much more.
Decided to finance it via a Halifax loan over 3 years at 3.5% pa although I may just pay it off.
Don't blame you, at least you can now have the extras without having to pay for them yourself! I came out of our company car scheme also as the choice of cars was depressing.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Don't blame you, at least you can now have the extras without having to pay for them yourself! I came out of our company car scheme also as the choice of cars was depressing.
I opted out of our company car scheme when they gave me an Audi A6 Avant:eek:

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I finally opted out when the best I could have was a second hand 116d!! I would have jumped at the A6 at the time :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Years ago I opted out of ours when they decided that any mileage beyond 20k per annum was my cost even though I was doing that for business and guys in London were getting the same scheme then claiming for trains and taxis so could do 20k pa private use!

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Years ago I opted out of ours when they decided that any mileage beyond 20k per annum was my cost even though I was doing that for business and guys in London were getting the same scheme then claiming for trains and taxis so could do 20k pa private use!
Blimey, were you not paying tax on the car for private use then?

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I opted out when I realised the mileage expenses could mount up, coupled with no longer paying income tax and P11d, and a slight pay rise for losing the car meant I could pretty much buy my own car cheaper and should I lose my job, it's still my car. It's taken a good few years of slowly upgrading to get to the stage where I can buy a car similar to the ones I used to get on lease, but I'm there now and it's mine! My first (relatively recent) non-company car was a 6 year old, high mileage Mondeo diesel I paid £3k for and I worked up from there.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Yes PCP but I do not want any more monthly payments as now retired, was paying £311 p/m after p/xing my previous amg sport the equity was enough for the deposit then. so contracted to pay the £20k or walk. I looked at other makes and nothing compares other than BMW but that means more PCP. I can afford the £20k as cashed in the useless premium bonds, but just don't want to suffer massive 3rd year diesel depreciation.

What do you reckon the car would have cost, cash with a reasonable discount, when you bought it? Just wondering what the real depreciation has been.

I bought my C Class estate at 5mths old in early 2005 and I've still got it. Thankfully I got a really good deal of the kind that doesn't seem to exist on nearly-new cars now, but I've been surprised that it's continued to depreciate quite steadily over that time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is yours could continue to depreciate pretty heavily over the next 3yrs. Add in the extra maintenance etc, and you might not save much vs replacing it with a new car.

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
For Me £311 per month was easily earned by selling my model cars on ebay, of which I still have hundreds listed, so in a sense the car did not use my savings, I did not miss the £311, The £20k was in premium bonds which also has been tucked away from every day living so will not really be missed, all I'm trying to do is make sure I'm doing the right thing by keeping the best car I've ever had, and trying to minimise the losses due to dieselgate.
The only real thing is I wish I had waited the extra 3 months for a petrol one in July 2015 but was just eager to get a new Merc to replace my W204 AMG Sport Plus

fifthwheel

Reaction score
Is the £20,000 written in stone, can't you bid them? I suppose they will send it to auction if you dont buy it. If they do it wont do that money there. john

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Which is of course your other option.
Tell them £20k is too rich and ask them to keep you informed as to where it will go to auction if they don't play ball and discuss it with you.

Fundamentally if you saw the car on a lot would you pay 20k for it?

As for diesel gate don't get too hung up on it. It's more hype than reality in my view.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
In principal you're right LK - a lot of hype but everyone's being hurt at the pumps at present: Auto Express reports: Petrol and diesel prices increased more in May 2018 than at any other point in the last 18 years... with the cost of filling a large family car increasing by £3.29. Finally the other day the AA chimed in saying prices aren't justified...

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well Decision Made, I've Bought It, Paid the final value fee!
Lets hope I don't regret it!
I bet your other half just said , will you stop talking about it and just buy it :D !

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom