sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Ok my vehicle changed plates in November 2017, I received this letter today:-

Dear
Our Ref: TFL-444772-1528965617
Customer Account Number: N/A
Thank you for your enquiry received on 13 June 2018, regarding Ultra Low Emission ZOne (ULEZ).
Between now and 8 April 2019, when the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) is introduced, we are gathering additional
vehicle compliance data and refreshing our database.
The details held on our system are provided from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), however we don't
have a live link to this database and it is updated periodically.
If you can provide us with a copy of your vehicle registration document (V5C), we can confirm the compliance status of
your vehicle.
You can complete an online enquiry form and upload your vehicle registration document at
tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone.
If you have any questions, please visit tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone or call us on 0343 222 2222
(textphone 0207 649 9123 if you have impaired hearing).
Yours sincerely
D. Milton
Contracts & Operations Manager
Transport for London

Seems their Database is not live and at least 7 months old (probably older)!

I replied as follows:-

Many thanks for your email, I am confident that my vehicle is compliant and therefore there is little point in my providing a copy of the V5 document.

As explained over the telephone and admitted in your correspondence your database is not "live with DVLA", this is apparent as my registration to a new vehicle completed in November 2017 (7 months ago), therefore your systems are currently not fit for purpose.

In the event that your systems are not improved by the time they go live in 2019 and I receive a penalty notice, I reserve the right to produce this correspondence as evidence of TFL's ineptitude and will seek a costs order for any time wasted.

I strongly recommend this problem is addressed as soon as possible as currently you are misleading the general public using your number plate checking system.

Kind regards

Mercedes SL500 R231

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
Ok my vehicle changed plates in November 2017, I received this letter today:-

Dear
Our Ref: TFL-444772-1528965617
Customer Account Number: N/A
Thank you for your enquiry received on 13 June 2018, regarding Ultra Low Emission ZOne (ULEZ).
Between now and 8 April 2019, when the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) is introduced, we are gathering additional
vehicle compliance data and refreshing our database.
The details held on our system are provided from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), however we don't
have a live link to this database and it is updated periodically.
If you can provide us with a copy of your vehicle registration document (V5C), we can confirm the compliance status of
your vehicle.
You can complete an online enquiry form and upload your vehicle registration document at
tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone.
If you have any questions, please visit tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone or call us on 0343 222 2222
(textphone 0207 649 9123 if you have impaired hearing).
Yours sincerely
D. Milton
Contracts & Operations Manager
Transport for London

Seems their Database is not live and at least 7 months old (probably older)!

I replied as follows:-

Many thanks for your email, I am confident that my vehicle is compliant and therefore there is little point in my providing a copy of the V5 document.

As explained over the telephone and admitted in your correspondence your database is not "live with DVLA", this is apparent as my registration to a new vehicle completed in November 2017 (7 months ago), therefore your systems are currently not fit for purpose.

In the event that your systems are not improved by the time they go live in 2019 and I receive a penalty notice, I reserve the right to produce this correspondence as evidence of TFL's ineptitude and will seek a costs order for any time wasted.

I strongly recommend this problem is addressed as soon as possible as currently you are misleading the general public using your number plate checking system.

Kind regards

Mercedes SL500 R231
Good reply.

I live outside the North Circular (just), I rarely if ever use my car to go inside London (Tube is better), so unless TfL will buy me a new car I'll be keeping my W202 and they can sod off.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Firstly it doesnt effect either of my cars, so I am not aggrieved!
CL500 5.5L 2009
A160 1.6L 2002 ( well done MB as many pre 2005 Cars are affected!)

Fundamentally I however do strongly object to what amounts to retrospective legislation, that is targeted specifically at lower income individuals.... its just not fair.

But whats their criteria? ... lets face it a 5.5L V8 is a gas guzzler in anyone's book. :):)
That said I was stuck this morning in a nightmareish slightly uphill queue, literally crawl, stop crawl.
And I was pretty impressed when I checked it recorded 25.2 mpg for the jam! In my book thats quite remarkable for 5.5Ls. :). (Considering no start stop etc.)

And its all basically based on Manufacturers figues ... :):)
Hmmm VW got caught faking results, Mercedes just got caught too! And apparrently Skoda and Audi? And a few more mfgs use VW engines so one article said “watch this space”!

What a farce, they are implementing a tax on vehicles adjudicated by fraudulent manufacturer certificates ....
Only the Mad Mullah, who apparently is “Labour” could implement a tax on the poor, based on a falsehood!

Please note I am open to certain retrospective legislation.
But when I suggest a couple of ideas to the Conservatives ( basically designed to resolve the NHS and Care in the community crisis ) they thought I was mad.
My ideas were:-
1. Retrospectively introduce 99% Corporation tax, on all credit card companies charging more than 50%, covering the last 5 years, with tracing, and siezure powers to cover all shereholders and stockholders.
2. A similar 99% Corporation tax on all online gambling companies.
Note Bet 365 Made £14Bn in the previous year and £44Bn this year paying the CEO £200Million salary!
Causing untold grief and suffering to people with an illness, and serious hardship to many children with addicted parents.
That company alone would generate £50Bn x ten similar organisations .. smash £500Bn in addition to the current funding, into the NHS ... problem solved in a heartbeat!
( Spend the money on Science Park leading Hospitals strategically around the country, link to local Universities and with tax breaks to Partnering Pharmacuetucal Giants who invest more than £500M in research grants ... Lots of top Jobs, lots of future valuable drugs to sell, the ULTIMATE state of the art hospital facilities spread across the Counties)
... it could work!

But hey they though I was raving mad ... obviously thinking ahead to all those juicey non executive Directorships they can slide into once they have completely screwed up Brexit!

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
So, others will find this funny:

S65 AMG Twin turbo 6.0 V12 - Not subject (although incorrectly classified as subject at the moment)
C63 6.2 V8 - Not subject
CLK 270 CDI - Subject
2002 Smart 0.6L - SUBJECT!!!!
Very old diesel converted superdream - Subject
Very tiny 50cc monkey bike - not subject.

Its quite obviously heavily targeted towards diesels (which have to be euro 6 or newer) rather than petrols (which have to be euro 4 or newer), with little to do with "efficiency".

I absolutely 100% believe we need better air, but target the highest polluters, not motorists wallets. People, such as my mother, are being forced into newer vehicles because their slightly older vehicles don't match standards.

Busses, trains and lorries are all the highest producers of NO2. They dropped 50% for the days that we had the bus strike in 2015 :
25946-izxoys.JPG

Whilst we have hybrid busses etc, they all still produce the same emissions now, that they did 3 years ago.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
What native birds?
Very few New Zealanders have ever seen a kiwi!
(They do exist ... way down south).

Bit off-thread ...apologies.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Firstly it doesnt effect either of my cars, so I am not aggrieved!
CL500 5.5L 2009
A160 1.6L 2002 ( well done MB as many pre 2005 Cars are affected!)

Fundamentally I however do strongly object to what amounts to retrospective legislation, that is targeted specifically at lower income individuals.... its just not fair.

But whats their criteria? ... lets face it a 5.5L V8 is a gas guzzler in anyone's book. :):)
That said I was stuck this morning in a nightmareish slightly uphill queue, literally crawl, stop crawl.
And I was pretty impressed when I checked it recorded 25.2 mpg for the jam! In my book thats quite remarkable for 5.5Ls. :). (Considering no start stop etc.)

And its all basically based on Manufacturers figues ... :):)
Hmmm VW got caught faking results, Mercedes just got caught too! And apparrently Skoda and Audi? And a few more mfgs use VW engines so one article said “watch this space”!

What a farce, they are implementing a tax on vehicles adjudicated by fraudulent manufacturer certificates ....
Only the Mad Mullah, who apparently is “Labour” could implement a tax on the poor, based on a falsehood!

Please note I am open to certain retrospective legislation.
But when I suggest a couple of ideas to the Conservatives ( basically designed to resolve the NHS and Care in the community crisis ) they thought I was mad.
My ideas were:-
1. Retrospectively introduce 99% Corporation tax, on all credit card companies charging more than 50%, covering the last 5 years, with tracing, and siezure powers to cover all shereholders and stockholders.
2. A similar 99% Corporation tax on all online gambling companies.
Note Bet 365 Made £14Bn in the previous year and £44Bn this year paying the CEO £200Million salary!
Causing untold grief and suffering to people with an illness, and serious hardship to many children with addicted parents.
That company alone would generate £50Bn x ten similar organisations .. smash £500Bn in addition to the current funding, into the NHS ... problem solved in a heartbeat!
( Spend the money on Science Park leading Hospitals strategically around the country, link to local Universities and with tax breaks to Partnering Pharmacuetucal Giants who invest more than £500M in research grants ... Lots of top Jobs, lots of future valuable drugs to sell, the ULTIMATE state of the art hospital facilities spread across the Counties)
... it could work!

But hey they though I was raving mad ... obviously thinking ahead to all those juicey non executive Directorships they can slide into once they have completely screwed up Brexit!
I think you should run for Office, you have my vote!

Mercedes SL500 R231

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
What native birds?
Very few New Zealanders have ever seen a kiwi!
(They do exist ... way down south).

Bit off-thread ...apologies.
That is why they are proposing to wipe out all possums and rats as they are non indigenous species preying on the Kiwi.

I guess the Kiwi has similar issues to the DoDo.

On the plus side Possum hats and scarves will soon be in abundance!

Mercedes SL500 R231

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The trouble is that no one- not here and certainly not in the MoT- has defined which form of pollution should be targeted. Nitrogen oxides? Carbon oxides? Particulates? All 3?

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Out of interest I checked my car which is an E350 CDI 2016 model
EU6 rated.
Not exempt apparently.

I never go to London in a car it was just out of interest really.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That is why they are proposing to wipe out all possums and rats as they are non indigenous species preying on the Kiwi.

I guess the Kiwi has similar issues to the DoDo.

On the plus side Possum hats and scarves will soon be in abundance!

Mercedes SL500 R231
Possums, rabbits, rats, deer, pigs and feral cats have long been an issue in NZ. All were introduced as it 'seemed like a good idea at the time' and all have had a major impact on native species ever since.

I see a Kiwi every morning when I look in the mirror ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It’d be hard to miss him!!

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Possums, rabbits, rats, deer, pigs and feral cats have long been an issue in NZ. All were introduced as it 'seemed like a good idea at the time' and all have had a major impact on native species ever since.

I see a Kiwi every morning when I look in the mirror ;)

On the plus side though look at the amount of space around you.

I have never been to NZ but the parts I have seen on TV look gorgeous.

Robin

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
On the plus side though look at the amount of space around you.

I have never been to NZ but the parts I have seen on TV look gorgeous.

Robin
It is a great place to go. Its about 10% bigger than the UK with less people than Manchester (and most of them are in Auckland).
As Roland Gift of Fine Young Cannibals fame once said when asked why he had bought a farm there "There are only 4 million people and at any one time 2 million of them are out of the country!" Sydney has so many Kiwis (apparently 1 million) that its nicknamed West Auckland :)

My ex and I toured the South Island about 8 years ago. She asked me what happened if we broke down. I said we flag down the next car. She said I haven't seen a car for 2 hours!

NZ scenery wise is like the testing ground for the rest of the planet. It has pretty much every feature found everywhere else but all within a short distance. Glaciers, alpine mountains, volcanoes (even a super volcano), rainforests, temperate forests, alpine meadows, gorges, glacial valleys etc - pretty much everything you'd find elsewhere with only one exception - sandy deserts (but there's a theory that they're the bits the great creator tried before he developed NZ as a testing ground because those bits that became deserts didn't work).

The biggest issue for me is its so far from everywhere. Even Sydney is 3 hours away by 747. To go somewhere truly different where they speak a different language is at least 9 hours flying time.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Out of interest I checked my car which is an E350 CDI 2016 model
EU6 rated.
Not exempt apparently.

I never go to London in a car it was just out of interest really.

It's wrong. It cannot meet EU6 requirements and not be exempt.

OP
J

jjayp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 2.5 Estate 2006
Ok, TFL have replied to me and clarified their position. My C230 2.5 petrol 2006 is subject to the ULEZ, but meets the emission standards, therefore I will not be charged if I drive in the ULEZ after April 2019.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Ok, TFL have replied to me and clarified their position. My C230 2.5 petrol 2006 is subject to the ULEZ, but meets the emission standards, therefore I will not be charged if I drive in the ULEZ after April 2019.
Shouldn't have been that difficult to sort though should it?

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
J

jjayp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 2.5 Estate 2006
Shouldn't have been that difficult to sort though should it?

Mercedes SL500 R231
No it shouldn't. I wonder how many people have sold their vehicles thinking they were not compliant? At present TFL is running adverts on Capitol Radio (London's most listened to radio station) saying the ULEZ is coming and to check the TFL website to see if your vehicle is compliant.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
No it shouldn't. I wonder how many people have sold their vehicles thinking they were not compliant? At present TFL is running adverts on Capitol Radio (London's most listened to radio station) saying the ULEZ is coming and to check the TFL website to see if your vehicle is compliant.
Perhaps the press needs to know the web site is inaccurate!

Mercedes SL500 R231

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I put mine in, just out of interest and although it's Euro6, with adblue, the website says that I'd be charged.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I think you should run for Office, you have my vote!

Mercedes SL500 R231

Tbh if I was younger I would ... these politician are effing thick.
They say these ideas are “too radical” ..
A. To solve homeless issues
Set a tax on Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter, based all income generated attributed to any revenue source linked to any user, domiciled in the UK, Tax resident in the UK or with a UK based IP Address
Do it like VAT output tax! No Global ofshore tax loophole!
Rates:
1. If they come clean and agree to voluntarily pay the last 4 years tax then its normal Corporation tax.
2. If they don't then future Corporation tax will be at 60%.
If they refuse or cheat the figues , then we just switch them off! GCHQ has the ability
Nice welcome banner “Facebook has refused to pay its taxes, and until the back payment has been recieved this service is no longer Available, we suggest until then you use Twitter”.

if I was running that, you bet your life Mark Zukerman would come and see me ... he refused to go to the last parlimentary hearing... hell he would grovel in on all fours and beg me to switch him back on.

B
To solve the violence acid throwing moped gangs etc.
Pull the troop back from Iraq, Afgan, etc.
- strategically station them acroos the UK
- put them on rapid response call for the Police

Lets see how hard these jumped up punks really are, when they come up against battle hardened Paras (with orders to eradicate the menace) .. no public enquiries etc.

- then review the right to remain in the UK, i.e. if they dont abide by our English code of conduct, then they loose the status to stay here, and ship them back to their indigenous lands!

I reckon this strike force would take out 100 in the first week, deport 500 in 2 weeks and the penny would drop, namely if you wander around throwing acid at people ( to steal an iPhone) , or slash them with a machete, you will either get “double tapped one in the mouth and one in the forehead or deported. No appeals, no legal aid just transported out within 3 days!

And I said I would do all this for free!
I just want 1% of everything I collect.
Hmmm I could make an offer on Chelsea Football club by the end of the first financial quarter?

:):):)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom