windolene on nav screen

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
IMG_20180614_200142.jpg While I was cleaning the inside today I grabbed what I thought was a dry cloth and wiped over the nav screen. Now it's left some odd marks, have I damaged the screen?

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Its reacted with the anti-glare coating on the screen. If you can still see the screen clearly then I would leave as is.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Had this on my previous Pug, would be interesting to know if there's a way to fix it

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its reacted with the anti-glare coating on the screen. If you can still see the screen clearly then I would leave as is.
It works ok, it just looks like something you would find in a really old not looked after piece of s**t now. was perfect before, and ironically not even dirty! Looks bad when the system is off.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had this on my previous Pug, would be interesting to know if there's a way to fix it
I've read that some people remove the rest of the anti-glare coating, probably just devalued the car by £1000.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If it is what I think then you can normally clean the screen and remove all the coating and it looks a bit better.

BUT

Don't take my word on that, I would hate it to cause more damage

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it is what I think then you can normally clean the screen and remove all the coating and it looks a bit better.

BUT

Don't take my word on that, I would hate it to cause more damage
Just off to make a hole in a wall with my head.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A very high quality "nano gel" type of screen protector will fill the micro scratches, so it won't be noticeable at almost any angle.

Either that, or new coating ... or complete removal of it - not a realistic option(s).

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A very high quality "nano gel" type of screen protector will fill the micro scratches, so it won't be noticeable at almost any angle.

Either that, or new coating ... or complete removal of it - not a realistic option(s).
Can you recommend anything please? How do you coat the screen with something?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How do you coat the screen with something?
Buy a quality screen protector, like BROTect Matte, measure the screen, cut to size and apply?
There's no magic there ;)

Unless you mean some kind of liquid coating, then categorically - NO!
Would never look good, and impossible without taking the glass out anyway.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Buy a quality screen protector, like BROTect Matte, measure the screen, cut to size and apply?
There's no magic there ;)

Unless you mean some kind of liquid coating, then categorically - NO!
Would never look good, and impossible without taking the glass out anyway.
Ok thanks I'll get some, it's a challenge to apply phone protectors, so might be fun. I might look out for screens on eBay.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lol. I'm going with screen anti glare for now.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Are you sure it’s not just residue from whatever was left on the cloth? Can’t really tell from the picture.

Easy way to tell is lick your finger and gently swipe it down the screen. Leave it for a few mins and if it has cleared a line in the screen. If it has then it should come off with a clean damp cloth.

I’d be surprised if you managed to rub the AG coating off unless you were at it like you were scrubbing the dishes clean! I used to use Auto Finesse Glass cleaner on mine in my S204 and that was immaculate when I sold it.

I also cleaned mine with Brasso Gadget care as it made it oleophobic so didn’t attract dust anywhere near as much.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IMG_20180615_092019.jpg
Are you sure it’s not just residue from whatever was left on the cloth? Can’t really tell from the picture.

Easy way to tell is lick your finger and gently swipe it down the screen. Leave it for a few mins and if it has cleared a line in the screen. If it has then it should come off with a clean damp cloth.

I’d be surprised if you managed to rub the AG coating off unless you were at it like you were scrubbing the dishes clean! I used to use Auto Finesse Glass cleaner on mine in my S204 and that was immaculate when I sold it.

I also cleaned mine with Brasso Gadget care as it made it oleophobic so didn’t attract dust anywhere near as much.
Can't seem to shift it.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
It lifts the anti glare stuff. Mine had this since I got it - decided to remove it all. It works fine (all of two weeks ago). I have seen something on this forum (years ago) which was someone got the equivalent stuff and made good. It's a lot of hassle for not a lot of good

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It lifts the anti glare stuff. Mine had this since I got it - decided to remove it all. It works fine (all of two weeks ago). I have seen something on this forum (years ago) which was someone got the equivalent stuff and made good. It's a lot of hassle for not a lot of good
I should have taken a picture before I caused £100's worth of damage, imagine a new C350 dash, that's how good it was, just a little dusty!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
So, I’ve not done this myself, but just on googling the subject you are not alone in what has been done!
As drmw, the consensus seemed to be to remove the remainder of the coating, then as GLK apply a screen protector.
Again as GLK if you go that route Brotect are the best screen protectors I’ve ever seen and dead easy to apply. I put one on my XC90 which has an 11” infotainment screen like an ipad really and it went on dead easy no bubbles, nothing. To look at it you would not even know there is a screen saver there!
I use nothing but a Microfibre cloth just very very slightly damp on any part of my cars interior including the Comand screen
Amazon will do the Brotect Matte Comand anti glare /protector film one for just under £4 for 2

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So, I’ve not done this myself, but just on googling the subject you are not alone in what has been done!
As drmw, the consensus seemed to be to remove the remainder of the coating, then as GLK apply a screen protector.
Again as GLK if you go that route Brotect are the best screen protectors I’ve ever seen and dead easy to apply. I put one on my XC90 which has an 11” infotainment screen like an ipad really and it went on dead easy no bubbles, nothing. To look at it you would not even know there is a screen saver there!
I use nothing but a Microfibre cloth just very very slightly damp on any part of my cars interior including the Comand screen
Amazon will do the Brotect Matte Comand anti glare /protector film one for just under £4 for 2
Thanks John, I should have known better. There are loads on Amazon, just need to find the one that fits the best without any holes. The screens are really delicate, and my respect goes out to the previous two owners that left it in such good shape.
Bubbles would be my concern as it could be a little awkward fitting. I'll leave for now and not think about it, off to France Monday, so will look at this when back.
Cheers all

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks John, I should have known better. There are loads on Amazon, just need to find the one that fits the best without any holes. The screens are really delicate, and my respect goes out to the previous two owners that left it in such good shape.
Bubbles would be my concern as it could be a little awkward fitting. I'll leave for now and not think about it, off to France Monday, so will look at this when back.
Cheers all
No worries, some time away will lessen the pain!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom