Glow plug light on 13C7 error code

Apache

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI
Hi guys!
I’m wondering what could this 13C7 error code be? It’s says Glow output stage intermittent.
Any ideas, gliw plugs or glow plug relay?
W212 2009 E350 CDI
Thank you

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What diagnostic tool is this from? Not a code I recognise

OP
A

Apache

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI
What diagnostic tool is this from? Not a code I recognise
Hello. Thank you for your answer.
The tool is delphi and it’s installed on a laptop. It’s not genuine MB diag tool. I did a bit of research and MB code should be 13C700.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Get you, Merc ones normally for those areas begin P0

OP
A

Apache

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI
I got the info that’s glow plug relay. But I still need to replace glow plugs right? It doesn’t make sense why would relay be faulty unless there’s faulty glow plug.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I got the info that’s glow plug relay. But I still need to replace glow plugs right? It doesn’t make sense why would relay be faulty unless there’s faulty glow plug.

The relay can be goosed without the glowplugs themselves being goosed. Don't fix it if it's broke.

OP
A

Apache

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI
The relay can be goosed without the glowplugs themselves being goosed. Don't fix it if it's broke.
I didn’t get that, sorry! So you’re saying not to fix it, just replace it!?
Thank you

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Glow plug controllers can be refurbished but better getting it done right. So you can get a refurbished one for c£115

OP
A

Apache

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI
Glow plug controllers can be refurbished but better getting it done right. So you can get a refurbished one for c£115
I get that! Yes I agree. I have a friend who works in MB parts and he always gives me good prices for genuine parts. Thank you all for your help!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I didn’t get that, sorry! So you’re saying not to fix it, just replace it!?
Thank you
In general ..... don't fix what's not broke. If the glow plugs aren't broke, don't fix 'em

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

In think it's justbthd old style controllers that you can repair, certainly couldn't get into the one I replaced.

OP
A

Apache

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI
By the looks of my GP relay I don’t believe I can get inside and open it without cracking everything.
I’ll see tomorrow! Thank you

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
In think it's justbthd old style controllers that you can repair, certainly couldn't get into the one I replaced.
Sorry you’re right , I meant you can buy refurb ones , I assume whoever does them for MB destroys the casing anyway ....

OP
A

Apache

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI
Ok! I’ve checked the glow plugs with ohm meter and they’re all fine. Somehow it doesn’t make sense to check them with ohm meter only cause they can fail when under load. Resistance is one thing and glowing under load and time to glow is a bit different. There is no possible way I can check this unless I take them out.
I won’t even bother opening the glow plug relay. I’ll just change it. It’s £90 brand new MB genuine!
I’ll update once it’s done.
I really appreciate all the help and advices. Cheers guys’

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ok! I’ve checked the glow plugs with ohm meter and they’re all fine. Somehow it doesn’t make sense to check them with ohm meter only cause they can fail when under load. Resistance is one thing and glowing under load and time to glow is a bit different. There is no possible way I can check this unless I take them out.
I won’t even bother opening the glow plug relay. I’ll just change it. It’s £90 brand new MB genuine!
I’ll update once it’s done.
I really appreciate all the help and advices. Cheers guys’
Perfect! £90 wow, these have come down in price a lot...where did you get it from eventually ?

OP
A

Apache

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI
Ok! Got the relay replaced!!!! Everything working superb! No warning lights anymore!!
Funny thing I noticed is my auto headlights came on immediately as I turned the car on! 2 weeks as I had the issue with glow plug relay, my headlights weren’t so sensitive as they use to be! Early morning 6:30 they were always on until this issue came up. Now they seems to be working even on a slight darker light!
I don’t know if that has anything to do with that!?
Anyway, I got the relay for £93.50 brand new genuine MB. As I got the part I saw different shape and model as my old faulty one. Apparently they changed the shape of it and got that upgraded. Hopefully I’ll be fine for ling time now!
I really appreciate all your help with advices and on your precious time spent to help me out. If someone needs some good price for MB parts let me know if I can be helpful!
Thank you!!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Glad it all went well and I’m sure we’ll take you up on the parts if you’re able to get discounts like that!

Top Bottom