Connecting phone to Bluetooth W219

Rhys07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 W219
My 2008 CLS 320 came with Bluetooth cradle: A2048200535. I've gone through the connection process - it picks up my phone, I put in the long code from the screen in to my phone and it connects. But then the screen in the car says "activate phone", and the small screen behind the driving wheel says "trn on phone". I've heard that some phones need you to change a setting to allow it to connect, but I can't find anything on mine. Can someone help? I'm using a Oneplus 3. Thanks

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I assume you have paired your phone to the bluetooth puck? Bluetooth on the phone turned on etc?

It sounds from your description that the car hasn't recognised your phone yet.

Can you borrow a phone, insert your sim card and see if it recognises or pairs with that one?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
that's an SAP adaptor

its a bit different to all the others..... it works by "stealing" the mobile phone's SIM card data using the SAP Bluetooth profile

if you had an old mobile the world is all normal.... using a windows or apple phone this unit can't work... there are some apps you can install on android that will allow the unit to get at the SIM via SAP

either do some research and add an app or buy a different unit

OP
Rhys07

Rhys07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 W219
that's an SAP adaptor

its a bit different to all the others..... it works by "stealing" the mobile phone's SIM card data using the SAP Bluetooth profile

if you had an old mobile the world is all normal.... using a windows or apple phone this unit can't work... there are some apps you can install on android that will allow the unit to get at the SIM via SAP

either do some research and add an app or buy a different unit
That was very helpful. Thanks. Just read up about it and how it works now that I know what it is. The main reason that I wanted to make this work was to play music over Bluetooth, but it seems that that's not possible with rSAP. Unfortunate.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
you won't get any BT music streaming as std on an old Merc... it came in around 2011
the UHI socket is ONLY mono
there are ways...

FM re broadcast nasty with interference, but very cheap
via axu in and a BT module no visibility in car or navigation of tracks, but can be very cheap
via the clunky merc ipod interface and a viseeo or similar tune2air pricey
via fiscon or dension aftermarket kit.... silly money 450 to 800, but ends up as if original fit, on the dension kit dependant on the car, can get DAB in the mix as well

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
these units are a bit of a nightmare to understand which you have.... looks very similar to my fathers E280 and without 3D maps the display is awful with zoom being hard work.

merccls320drive084.jpg

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Fitting a new head unit seems to be the best option on the older models if you want full functionality, quite a few on here have done it....

OP
Rhys07

Rhys07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 W219
Fitting a new head unit seems to be the best option on the older models if you want full functionality, quite a few on here have done it....
I have thought about it and it's very tempting, but I'm reluctant to get rid of anything original! Do you know if there's a suitable head unit out there that looks similar to the original?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks John :)

Rhys07 - if you're considering an aftermarket unit, there are two main options - brand name (and high quality) like Alpine or Pioneer, but it will have to be mounted into some kind of frame / adapter / fascia; or a model-specific unit from one of Chinese manufacturers, like Xtrons (as above) or Erisin.

I seriously dislike those frames to accommodate a standard Double-DIN in place of OE unit, so I went for a model-specific unit for my car.

Out of this type, you have another two main choices: units that mimic the OEM look - namely COMAND - or a more modern type, with larger screen and no DVD drive. I went for the latter, as my interior doesn't look OEM anyway ;)

41373242085_0a5e49970c_o.jpg

Fitted it myself last August and it's been perfect so far. Everything works, including steering wheel controls; reversing camera (and left mirror camera), dynamic parking guide; satnav; OBD-II diagnostic via Torque Pro, etc etc. Sound quality is really good, and I do have a factory Power Sound option, with extra speakers and a subwoofer. The installation was a simple plug-and-play.

I didn't keep the old head unit, nor the CDC or the telephone console, but as John said, you can always retain them to put back, if desired.

OP
Rhys07

Rhys07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 W219
OP
Rhys07

Rhys07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 W219
Thanks John :)

Rhys07 - if you're considering an aftermarket unit, there are two main options - brand name (and high quality) like Alpine or Pioneer, but it will have to be mounted into some kind of frame / adapter / fascia; or a model-specific unit from one of Chinese manufacturers, like Xtrons (as above) or Erisin.

I seriously dislike those frames to accommodate a standard Double-DIN in place of OE unit, so I went for a model-specific unit for my car.

Out of this type, you have another two main choices: units that mimic the OEM look - namely COMAND - or a more modern type, with larger screen and no DVD drive. I went for the latter, as my interior doesn't look OEM anyway ;)

41373242085_0a5e49970c_o.jpg

Fitted it myself last August and it's been perfect so far. Everything works, including steering wheel controls; reversing camera (and left mirror camera), dynamic parking guide; satnav; OBD-II diagnostic via Torque Pro, etc etc. Sound quality is really good, and I do have a factory Power Sound option, with extra speakers and a subwoofer. The installation was a simple plug-and-play.

I didn't keep the old head unit, nor the CDC or the telephone console, but as John said, you can always retain them to put back, if desired.
Wow that's impressive. I've just had a browse at units that mimic the OEM. Really good option for me. Thanks!

Top Bottom