Dash cam fitting

Zorro1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W218 CLS 2011 350cdi
Hi
I’m new on here and have a problem I never foresaw. I have a W218 CLS (pride and joy) and my wife recently bought me a nextbase dashcam as I like the peace of mind they offer. Phoned MB Edinburgh regarding fitting it, wired to car. They have told me I have to buy a fitting kit that they don’t supply for £252 and take it to them to carry out the job. I queried it obviously and was amazed when told they haven’t fitted any. I know it’s not a huge job but I wanted it fitted properly. Just wanted some advice really. Thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As it probably came from Halfords why not ask them to fit it? I’m sure they won’t charge that sort of money?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I don't know what MB Edinburgh are on about but a hardwire kit for the camera will cost about £10. Do a search on eBay, there are quite a few available. I think Nextbase do their own kit but it will be a bit more expensive. An auto electrician will be able to install the camera in about 30-60 mins.

OP
Z

Zorro1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W218 CLS 2011 350cdi
As it probably came from Halfords why not ask them to fit it? I’m sure they won’t charge that sort of money?
Only if bought from them, apparently.

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
That’s annoying!
Well as someone else said find a decent auto electrician fitted in an hour...
Or sell dashcam and buy another one from Halfords plus fitting. Even that is cheaper than the MB "solution"

OP
Z

Zorro1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W218 CLS 2011 350cdi
Or sell dashcam and buy another one from Halfords plus fitting. Even that is cheaper than the MB "solution"
had crossed my mind. That info must surely be wrong from MB.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I imagine they are quoting for something to go into Comand at that price ... i.e. linking a camera to the screen there... or their auto electrician is **** and will need 3 hours to fit it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zorro1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W218 CLS 2011 350cdi
Hiya
Thanks for that. That would maybe explain it.
I’ll ring them tomorrow and try to explain myself better!

SImon_RD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220d
Those prices are totally outrages, but for either parts and labor. Honestly, hard-wiring an entry level dash cam its one of the easiest DIY jobs to do for a high standard finish. The only parts that are painful are working out how to route the wires round the cabin, and getting your fingers in there.... frankly I think any owner can do a better job than halfords who have a budget and time to get the job done in.

But, based on experience, the first thing I suggest its check your insurance before doing anything. We are living in wild west times for insurance here, and they are all can be vastly different. Some rare insurers will VOID policy's for hardwired dash cams, or even just for an item on the dash or the windscreen, including dash cams, air fresheners and even bumper stickers. Usually these are the cheap and nasty insurers who are looking for "outs".

Best make sure your insurer is ok with it, and/or they validate the install criteria to make sure its a modification covered under your policy first (most see a hardwire kit as a modification) . That way you know if it formally needs an installer, a certificate for liability, etc, etc. If you do have a good insurer, who simply expects a high standard of finish and that's it, then its worth having a crack at it yourself, - if you do however, get a swear jar ready for the wiring routing part :p

normanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 C205 c250d prem+ in white,19" alloys, brown artico leather interior
Has anyone got a pic of their dash cam fitted. Im considering one but do not want it to be that visible, id prefer it to be fitted behind the rear view mirror. Thanks in advance

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
image.jpeg
Has anyone got a pic of their dash cam fitted. Im considering one but do not want it to be that visible, id prefer it to be fitted behind the rear view mirror. Thanks in advance
The picture is poor , it's so bright out there . It's a Blackvue camera which isn't visible at all to the driver .

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
At work so can't take a photo .....
Mine's a Ddpai Mini and is about the size of a chocolate mini roll .... maybe a bit shorter ... lives behind the rear view mirror & is invisible to the driver. It's from the cheaper end of the market, c£60 .... though there's a Mini 2 now .... it has Wi-Fi and gives a decent play back quality, enough to read a registration number.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Mine is over on the passenger side next to rear view mirror .. it’s high enough up it doesn’t obscure things at all.. I can also see the screen so I know it’s working ok ... I used to take it out of the car when I parked but tbh I stopped doing that ages ago ...

I wouldn’t worry about where it will go ..just put it where you think is best for you ...

OP
Z

Zorro1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W218 CLS 2011 350cdi
Mine is over on the passenger side next to rear view mirror .. it’s high enough up it doesn’t obscure things at all.. I can also see the screen so I know it’s working ok ... I used to take it out of the car when I parked but tbh I stopped doing that ages ago ...

I wouldn’t worry about where it will go ..just put it where you think is best for you ...

OP
Z

Zorro1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W218 CLS 2011 350cdi
Hiya
Cheers for that. Found out the MB dealer price of £252 was to put a camera through the command unit! The service person I spoke to hadn’t heard of a dash cam before! Don’t really want to use power plug as it’s messy so will get it hard wired.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hiya
Cheers for that. Found out the MB dealer price of £252 was to put a camera through the command unit! The service person I spoke to hadn’t heard of a dash cam before! Don’t really want to use power plug as it’s messy so will get it hard wired.
Are they meaning a reverse camera to wire into the Comand then - not a dash cam?

OP
Z

Zorro1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W218 CLS 2011 350cdi
Whatever they quoted me for certainly wasn’t just wiring a dash cam to a fuse! An auto electrician has quoted £100 to do it, I know I should try myself but a bit wary to play around with my “baby”.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Whatever they quoted me for certainly wasn’t just wiring a dash cam to a fuse! An auto electrician has quoted £100 to do it, I know I should try myself but a bit wary to play around with my “baby”.
I was wary of trying it , but I spoke to an autoelectrian who quoted about £60 to fit , but I had two that needed doing (one for each car) . I read up on it and the E class was easy , I stuck the camera behind the drivers mirror , popped off the plastic cover behind the mirror , routed the cable through that to the top of the screen . Along the top of the screen , all tucked away around the top of the a post , along the top of the drivers door rubber , along top of the b post , along the rear door top rubber , down to the parcel shelf . Drilled a small hole through the parcel shelf and down into the rear fuse box . Used a pre wired fuse into the fuse slot for rear window wiper (which I don't have) . Connected the other wire to a nearby bolt and That was it . Camera comes on when the ignition is on

Top Bottom