Car has no service history

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I posted before about my son's car which they bought without it having the Handbook. I did do a post the other day about it needing an A Service but no one has replied, so I thought I would start a new thread in case my post got lost.
The car was serviced yesterday, the indie wasn't able to get any service history but my daughter in law has emailed Mercedes with all the relevant documents needed to get the service history and they have responded today saying there is no record of that car having any service history.
I'm quite worried for them as I wouldn't be happy buying a car with no service history and I am pretty sure when Evans Halshaw advertised the car it said in the ad that it had a FSH, but we didn't print off the ad, so have no proof of that.
Surely it's weird for anyone to buy a brand new car and never have it serviced? I don't know the best way to move forward with this, whether to contact the previous owner to see if they did have it serviced or to contact Evans Halshaw to see what they have to say o_O

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
But...is the car fine? Has it got problems which the lack of history would be the cause of? What did the oil look like, because that would be my only concern?

B king

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 2003 cdi(gone) / E350 Sport/ C63 (sons)/GLC daughter
Firstly, has the car done enough miles to require its first service, some models have quite big intervals nowadays, I think your on the right track tho, I would contact both the dealer and the previous owner, the owner can surely help you out..

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
But...is the car fine? Has it got problems which the lack of history would be the cause of? What did the oil look like, because that would be my only concern?

As far as I know the car is fine yes. I have no idea what the oil looks like but as the car is now 5yrs old someone had mentioned it would need something doing to it at that age, I don't think whatever that was had been done as the charge for the service was around the same as we pay for our A Service and we've not had anything done to our car other than the usual stuff. Would the indie had noticed if something needed doing that wasn't part of a regular A Service?

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Firstly, has the car done enough miles to require its first service, some models have quite big intervals nowadays, I think your on the right track tho, I would contact both the dealer and the previous owner, the owner can surely help you out..

It's done 55,000 miles and is 5yrs old

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Don't suppose an old dealer's name is on the numberplate, or perhaps look up dealers near the address of the former keeper and enquire directly.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
If it is high miles and it has had servicing over the years and is not present with the car, Data protection will stop you accessing any information, I tried with my Mercedes as the service book was not with the car, but I had a card ID when it was new and who sold the car, when I contacted the dealer they said we have no recognition of that car ever being on our books. A few weeks later I found the service book, it had fallen out of the pack and was tucked under the passenger seat. When I went through the booklet servicing history it was at this main MB dealer I contacted and it had more than two services after they sold it. I called them back just to re-ask, and they said again 'we have never had this car in' although it was stamped in the booklet with the technicians name and signature.

However your sons car may not have ever been serviced if the car is ultra low mileage?
The only good thing about written history for a vehicle is that you can check to see how many thousands of pounds this car has cost the owners, and the worse thing is you know that it will carry on costing you thousands ;)
I try and always buy cars without service history......I like the challenge, plus 90% of the time you can track down its history if you really want it. And of course it cheaper :)
Just my 2 pence worth :D

55,000mls just read it.......You can take the car to the main MB agent with V5 and proof that you are the owner also take address proof etc and present this they should then be able to get you another service booklet, but then I didn't think they had the books anymore as it's all electronically recorded, hence the protection rubbish.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
55,000mls just read it.......You can take the car to the main MB agent with V5 and proof that you are the owner also take address proof etc and present this they should then be able to get you another service booklet, but then I didn't think they had the books anymore as it's all electronically recorded, hence the protection rubbish.
I've just done that, the dealer printed out the service history and the last few service sheets, there are a couple of years missing as I guess it's been out of the dealer network and again no service book with it.
As they didn't buy it form a Mercedes Dealer they might not be quite so quick to give you the service history, what I'd do is book it in for a service with Mercedes then when you go in advise you can't find the service history and please could they print it out for you when they give you the paperwork for the service they've just done. They're going to be in the service system when they add in the new service so no issues for them to get the history and you're paying for a service so it's not as if the're doing it for free.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
If it is high miles and it has had servicing over the years and is not present with the car, Data protection will stop you accessing any information, I tried with my Mercedes as the service book was not with the car, but I had a card ID when it was new and who sold the car, when I contacted the dealer they said we have no recognition of that car ever being on our books. A few weeks later I found the service book, it had fallen out of the pack and was tucked under the passenger seat. When I went through the booklet servicing history it was at this main MB dealer I contacted and it had more than two services after they sold it. I called them back just to re-ask, and they said again 'we have never had this car in' although it was stamped in the booklet with the technicians name and signature.

I know people do use it but the 'data protection' excuse is nonsense - you're asking about a car, there's no connection to any information that could be considered personal. It should be against the law to misuse the data protection act.

On the service book, I'm sure it's fine - but there's a good reason why some warranty companies want to see invoices, not just the stamp in the book.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d

They have emailed all their info to Mercedes and they said they have no details on that car. I will tell my daughter in law to go down to the dealership and see if they can find out anything more about the cars history.

Yes it was that thread Rory but I had posted again and hadn't got a response, hence starting a new thread.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Why did they even take the car away from the Evans Halshaw forecourt without any proof of history?

I wouldn't bother ringing EH either, their interest in the car will have ceased the split second they sold it.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
They have emailed all their info to Mercedes and they said they have no details on that car. I will tell my daughter in law to go down to the dealership and see if they can find out anything more about the cars history.

Yes it was that thread Rory but I had posted again and hadn't got a response, hence starting a new thread.
When they bourght the car ,did the sales advert say " service history " ?

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Why did they even take the car away from the Evans Halshaw forecourt without any proof of history?

That's a very good question, my daughter in law is very impetuous and as soon as she drove the car she had made her mind up she was driving it home the same day. EH brought the car down from Leeds and claimed that all the stuff that was missing, which was around 5 things, would all follow on, but it was a battle to get them, the manual they eventually got wasn't the original one for that car.

I wouldn't bother ringing EH either, their interest in the car will have ceased the split second they sold it.
When they bourght the car ,did the sales advert say " service history " ?

I did think that might be a waste of time. I'm just concerned as when they sell the car on it may be worth less if it doesn't have any service history. Also with no service history can they be sure everything is okay with the car? I'm almost certain the car was advertised as have a FSH as I have always advised my daughter in law not to buy a car without that. Someone had obviously done something to the car though as the A Service advisory came up on the dash a couple of weeks ago.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did think that might be a waste of time. I'm just concerned as when they sell the car on it may be worth less if it doesn't have any service history. Also with no service history can they be sure everything is okay with the car? I'm almost certain the car was advertised as have a FSH as I have always advised my daughter in law not to buy a car without that. Someone had obviously done something to the car though as the A Service advisory came up on the dash a couple of weeks ago.
Didn't they keep any of the original sales paperwork when they bourght the car ? May indicate service history "porkies" ? Leaving the door open for a claim

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Can you track down the previous owner (or first owner) and ask them?

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Didn't they keep any of the original sales paperwork when they bourght the car ? May indicate service history "porkies" ? Leaving the door open for a claim

Not sure if there was anything on the original paperwork but I will ask them to have a look.

Can you track down the previous owner (or first owner) and ask them?

Seems the car has had 2 previous owners, the last one was up in Leeds and there is an address so I think writing to them would be a good idea. The numberplate on the car says Mercedes Benz MK, I think MB HO is there isn't it? It was registered in December 2013 and sold to the next person a year later. The email from MB quotes that they only hold data on service history if it's been carried out at a main dealership, so maybe it was taken to an indie and that's why there is no record? We take ours to an indie, so does that mean the only record of our cars history since we bought it is the printout from the indie? Good job we make sure we keep everything in our house!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure if there was anything on the original paperwork but I will ask them to have a look.

Seems the car has had 2 previous owners, the last one was up in Leeds and there is an address so I think writing to them would be a good idea. The numberplate on the car says Mercedes Benz MK, I think MB HO is there isn't it? It was registered in December 2013 and sold to the next person a year later. The email from MB quotes that they only hold data on service history if it's been carried out at a main dealership, so maybe it was taken to an indie and that's why there is no record? We take ours to an indie, so does that mean the only record of our cars history since we bought it is the printout from the indie? Good job we make sure we keep everything in our house!
A lot of MB indys update the main MB service record .

Woody123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 1998 2.0
Does the car have a service indicator? If it’s never been serviced the light would definitely be on lol.

If in any doubt of the recent-ness of the last service, give it a major service (fuel filter, change coolant, the works) so at least you have a benchmark to start your service schedule from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Does the car have a service indicator? If it’s never been serviced the light would definitely be on lol.

If in any doubt of the recent-ness of the last service, give it a major service (fuel filter, change coolant, the works) so at least you have a benchmark to start your service schedule from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's easy to reset service indicators without servicing the car. ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom