First time user of Clay - It's a revelation

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
After reading and re-reading every page on the subject of detailing, I finally applied the Bilt Hamber clay to my car. I wasn't fully prepared for the effect. I could see tiny marks just vanishing. I'd washed and polished (Dodo Juice Lime Prime) last weekend, but today I washed the car again, clayed, polished again as before and got the first coat of wax on. I ended up using a Dodo Juice polish that is specifically marketed for light coloured cars. I'm just delighted with the effect.

I started at 6.20am, so that the sun wouldn't be beating down too fiercely, and spent three hours at it. I'll probably be up early again tomorrow to get another coat of wax on there. It just so rewarding to see the car looking it's best.

Thanks for all the shared knowledge. I've been cleaning cars for 40 years and I've finally learned how to do it properly.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I use a clay mitt - never used actual clay but the mitt was great on my wife's car and also makes life a lot easier removing light water marks.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Mac Donald i understand the clay part,, but what wax did you use .I to have been cleaning cars of my own for as many years just like you , and i am ready to try this new way of waxing them.To see if its any better than my way.

OP
McDonald

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Hello Dreamer No2, the wax is Dodo Juice Light Fantastic. I've just been out to gaze at the car again and have now taken to stroking it. The paintwork feels so smooth. I will put on another coat of wax early tomorrow, mostly to ensure I haven't missed anywhere. I can't believe it'll shine any brighter. My car is 14 yrs old and soon will pass the 50,000 miles mark but it doesn't look like it. They're beautiful cars anyway, but gleaming shine definitely helps.

Msb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk500
Put your cars under the right lights and you will see a clay and hand polish is far from enough, they really need multiple stage machine polishing to make them their best, what you use the as final protection be it wax or sealant is irrelevant as it the polishing that has the biggest effect on the final outcome.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Dodo Juice make nice products
Put your cars under the right lights and you will see a clay and hand polish is far from enough, they really need multiple stage machine polishing to make them their best, what you use the as final protection be it wax or sealant is irrelevant as it the polishing that has the biggest effect on the final outcome.

Still looks pretty good though & not sure how often he will have his car under the "right lights":)!

A bit like stereophiles, always listening for what is wrong with the sound and not hearing the music.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
After reading and re-reading every page on the subject of detailing, I finally applied the Bilt Hamber clay to my car. I wasn't fully prepared for the effect. I could see tiny marks just vanishing. I'd washed and polished (Dodo Juice Lime Prime) last weekend, but today I washed the car again, clayed, polished again as before and got the first coat of wax on. I ended up using a Dodo Juice polish that is specifically marketed for light coloured cars. I'm just delighted with the effect.

I started at 6.20am, so that the sun wouldn't be beating down too fiercely, and spent three hours at it. I'll probably be up early again tomorrow to get another coat of wax on there. It just so rewarding to see the car looking it's best.

Thanks for all the shared knowledge. I've been cleaning cars for 40 years and I've finally learned how to do it properly.
Excellent work buddy , let's see a little pic when it's all done

Msb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk500
Dodo Juice make nice products

Still looks pretty good though & not sure how often he will have his car under the "right lights":)!

A bit like stereophiles, always listening for what is wrong with the sound and not hearing the music.
I didn’t say it doesn’t look good but current weather ie bright sunshine is the right light for showing defects and my thoughts are what you have done could be bettered, I don’t mean that in an offensive way but anyone into detailing will totally get the point i am making. If your happy with what’s been achieved great but imho a clay, hand polish and wax doesn’t usually yield the result i personally desire, but as long as you’re happy all the best no offence intended

OP
McDonald

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
No offence taken MSB, I know very well that a pro detailer with all the kit would make my efforts look amateur. I am a complete amateur. I looked into detailing and contacted the guy who does Chris Evans' ferraris - unfortunately he mentioned a figure of £800, which I really can't justify. That's money I should be spending on tyres. I'd also like to update the Comand system as 14 yr old tech falls short in the area of Sat Nav etc ( I'm in contact with Unique, the forum endorsed supplier).

But I love the car more than any I've ever owned, and I'm willing to put in some effort. Reading the collective wisdom, has connected me with some cleaning materials and techniques I didn't know about. I've spent a couple of hundred quid on car cosmetics and I'm liking what it does. I learned a little from this forum and I simply want to acknowledge that.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Sunning looking car pics buddy , excellent work . I'm sure in the flesh you should be justifiably proud of the shine and I'd bet you won't see many cars that clean and shiny in your normal day to day travels . There is always extra work that can go to improve stuff , but I'd bet that what you have done is well over 90% there and the professionals exist to achieve that final few % that we never get to . Fantastic work :D

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... and contacted the guy who does Chris Evans' ferraris - unfortunately he mentioned a figure of £800, which I really can't justify. ...

That's a stupid amount of money to have a car 'cleaned' .....

A 'fool & his money' springs to mind

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That's a stupid amount of money to have a car 'cleaned' .....

A 'fool & his money' springs to mind
I do appreciate a nice shiny car and I get some people get a real kick from making their cars look fantasticly shiny but for me £800 is a huge amount of fuel and I'd rather drive it than spend all weekend cleaning it.
For me there's a point where it's shiny enough (and I know that after 100 miles it'll be covered in dead insects and dust).

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
LK's philosophy is also mine.
My lawn mower is shiny, but it gets hammered every time it leaves the garage. After a brief rinse while I'm using the hose, and a leather off, it feels and looks very good. But I never wax the thing - it's a lawn mower!

My cars get properly washed, including under the wheel arches and other unseen areas, and every now and then a wax. But that's it. They look good enough, and will get hit by rain and road debris whenever I drive them. But that's as far as it goes. It's a car, not an object of worship!

I've got other priorities in life.

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
I hear you guys.

However, I would suspect that the quoted £800 would include a paint correction and some sort of ceramic coating.

Whilst this will not protect from further scratching or damage, it will make the car a damn sight easier to clean for the next 12-18 months (product dependant), saving cleaning time in the long run. and that's the whole point of it really.

But, as will all things in life, its what floats y' boat

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I do appreciate a nice shiny car and I get some people get a real kick from making their cars look fantasticly shiny but for me £800 is a huge amount of fuel and I'd rather drive it than spend all weekend cleaning it.
For me there's a point where it's shiny enough (and I know that after 100 miles it'll be covered in dead insects and dust).
Indeed. Italy and back in fact :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom