First time user of Clay - It's a revelation

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That must have killed a lot of insects...
Every petrol station we filled up at had a windscreen cleaner, so we were kept pretty splat-free on the glass at least until France. Now, I can barely see out when the sun hits at the wrong angle, I'm going to have to hit the 000 wire wool when I get home tonight!

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
When I bought my Merc I also read loads before starting, including recommendations from here.

I found
wash
ironX below 1/2 way up doors
wash
clay
wash
polish
wax x2
seal
all by hand.
Gave me a finish that I am more than happy with, droolsome in fact. Far superior to anything I've done before (usually a pressure washer, no foam or a bucket of wash & wax with a sponge........ I know , I know, but I didn't then). I am sure with the correct machines, time and experience I could do even better, but it's more than good enough for me.

OP
McDonald

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm glad I've got it done and I imagine it will be easier to wash. In around ten weeks time I'll be tucking it away in the garage for winter, so I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can in the meantime.

I didn't entertain the £800 detailing, but if I had too much money I'd do it. Those guys know the meaning of glossy. I have to manage the expenditure sensibly but a little indulgence is better than none - that's how I justify the car cosmetics.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
For me there's a point where it's shiny enough (and I know that after 100 miles it'll be covered in dead insects and dust).
LK's philosophy is also mine.
it. They look good enough, and will get hit by rain and road debris whenever I drive them. But that's as far as it goes. It's a car, not an object of worship!

I've got other priorities in life.

Good paint protection layers are a benefit - I find that it is much easier to get insect bodies, brake dust and dirt etc off ... I usually give it a good protective layer twice a year or so - in between and on road trips I tend to use a coin operated pressure rinse which leaves the car very clean because the crud cannot stick that easily and then good soapy washes in-between the rinses. The only downside is that I have noticed water marks where the water does not blow off quickly enough but.......they do come off with a little effort.

I'm just waiting for some cooler weather and will wash the car with a clay mitt (only a little more effort than washing) and then give it a "beauty treatment" with Carlack68 and Carlack Long Life. Fortunately, my car lives in a big garage so I have the space and time not to have to do everything in one session.

I enjoy the process and exercise!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Good paint protection layers are a benefit - I find that it is much easier to get insect bodies, brake dust and dirt etc off ... I usually give it a good protective layer twice a year or so - in between and on road trips I tend to use a coin operated pressure rinse which leaves the car very clean because the crud cannot stick that easily and then good soapy washes in-between the rinses. The only downside is that I have noticed water marks where the water does not blow off quickly enough but.......they do come off with a little effort.

I'm just waiting for some cooler weather and will wash the car with a clay mitt (only a little more effort than washing) and then give it a "beauty treatment" with Carlack68 and Carlack Long Life. Fortunately, my car lives in a big garage so I have the space and time not to have to do everything in one session.

I enjoy the process and exercise!
I'm not saying I don't wash my car as I do (usually once a week/fortnight). Once a month to 6 weeks it gets a waxing and occasionally SRP as well. I rarely spend more than 90 minutes on it though.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I don't even wash mine that often - probably one a month / 6 weeks with a (coin operated) pressure rinse, as needed, between washes.

My car is white so there is not a lot of reward in waxing and sealants but they do work.

I think it takes me more time to get the kit out and put it all away again than the actual washing and drying - my wife always has her eye on me and as soon as the washing gear comes out...it is "seeing as you have everything out, will you do my car as well please" .........I can't exactly say no, can I?

Msb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk500
When I bought my Merc I also read loads before starting, including recommendations from here.

I found
wash
ironX below 1/2 way up doors
wash
clay
wash
polish
wax x2
seal
all by hand.
Gave me a finish that I am more than happy with, droolsome in fact. Far superior to anything I've done before (usually a pressure washer, no foam or a bucket of wash & wax with a sponge........ I know , I know, but I didn't then). I am sure with the correct machines, time and experience I could do even better, but it's more than good enough for me.
A good bit of work that, although normally it’s sealant before wax as sealant needs bare paint to bond properly and is more durable, wax is the the top sacrificial layer of protection

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
A good bit of work that, although normally it’s sealant before wax as sealant needs bare paint to bond properly and is more durable, wax is the the top sacrificial layer of protection
That goes against all the advice that I have read on this site. I know there are different types of sealant, but the advice that I've used with good results, is wax, and then sealant. But, my sealant is Sonax BSD.

Msb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk500
That goes against all the advice that I have read on this site. I know there are different types of sealant, but the advice that I've used with good results, is wax, and then sealant. But, my sealant is Sonax BSD.
BSD is a quick detailer not a sealant!

Msb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk500
To be fair, it does leave some, short term protection behind, it doesn't just lift light dirt, finger marks etc
It’s not protection it’s a hydrophobic layer that repels water, that’s not protection, proper sealants and waxes protect in other ways that bsd does not!

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
It’s not protection it’s a hydrophobic layer that repels water, that’s not protection, proper sealants and waxes protect in other ways that bsd does not!

Okay, but quick detailers are only designed to lift light dust and fingerprints. Where you draw the line between that category and a 'protection' category, isn't black & white.

Msb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk500
Okay, but quick detailers are only designed to lift light dust and fingerprints. Where you draw the line between that category and a 'protection' category, isn't black & white.
Actually i couldn’t disagree more there are many different products that are classified as qd’s some indeed only lift dust and fingerprints, others are dilutable to make them waterless washes and clay lubes, then some are gloss enhancing detailer like autoperfekt n1 finisher or AD’s p64 then some do add protection, but generally the ones adding protection or what’s deemed as protection only do so in a mild manner and not always the protection you want ie from uv, bsd being the classic case in point while yes it does add water reppellancy it’s not a true protection product in its own right, it’s a top up at best.
Personally i can’t stand the smeary grabby nature of the stuff there’s far better products out there that do the same but are easier to use leave a nice slick finish and last longer.
So to summarise BSD is a quick detailer with water repellent characteristics and not a true lsp like a proper wax or sealant!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Off the subject of waxes and sealants, I'm actually coming to the end of my current detailer and I'm looking for recomendations on a new one, something as a top up after waxing would be what I'm really looking for

SRE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005
I use Williams Waterless Wash and Wax as a detailer. Provides more protection and a better shine IMHO than
Sonax BSD and with not much more effort.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Actually i couldn’t disagree more there are many different products that are classified as qd’s some indeed only lift dust and fingerprints, others are dilutable to make them waterless washes and clay lubes, then some are gloss enhancing detailer like autoperfekt n1 finisher or AD’s p64 then some do add protection, but generally the ones adding protection or what’s deemed as protection only do so in a mild manner and not always the protection you want ie from uv, bsd being the classic case in point while yes it does add water reppellancy it’s not a true protection product in its own right, it’s a top up at best.
Personally i can’t stand the smeary grabby nature of the stuff there’s far better products out there that do the same but are easier to use leave a nice slick finish and last longer.
So to summarise BSD is a quick detailer with water repellent characteristics and not a true lsp like a proper wax or sealant!
I have noticed the BSD does grab the micro cloth and I do find it hard to buff up. I'm going to look at a proper sealant, they is quite a large choice. I'm looking at "Gtechniq C2 v3 Liquid Crystal Hydrophobic Nano Coat Paint Sealant" as this has some good reviews.

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
A note from an enthusiastic amateur detailer.

Don't overlook that using a clay bar is abrasive and can create very fine scratches and swirl marks in your paint. These marks are what a previous poster referred to when talking about machine polishing. It's always good to look at what it is thats causing contamination in your paintwork surface and going for the least abrasive method first, rather than going straight for the clay bar. There are some great products out there for lifting road tar and other contaminants with little impact on your paint's surface. That all said "Carefull" use of a clay bar can really bring out some great results and get your paintwork in the best place for the use of a good polish and then a final wax.

Oh and don't forget the two bucket rule............ looks a bit anal but it does work.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Duragloss Aquawax is good - once you have washed (with wax friendly soap) spray on the Duragloss as you dry. It builds layers every time you wash.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom