Car has no service history

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Would anyone buy a brand new Mercedes and then drive it for 55k without servicing it ?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
because they leased it and didn't give a sh1t

the main point in all this is the world moved on,

u get old gits who think it matters and others with so much money they don't care about anything.
don't forget modern cars are built to die very quickly.... almost before the first oil change is required

as for where you are, open the oil filler cap, does it look like new in there and then check the dip stick if both clean then it was serviced !

with a mind set stuck how the world was 20 years ago, at 55k you'd want it to have had 3 oil changes using posh synthetic oil and 3 air filters - other than that there is basically NOTHING to do on a modern car for 5 years.

now if you are still stuck in a world where it should do 12 years, get the auto box oil and filter done, change the brake fluid (re do engine oil and filter if unsure) and off you go

this last bit is totally pointless now they are just build to die... but paper work saying full service history is far less important than really having the maintenance done correctly.... a bit of forgery or a merc database saying it was done when it never was only meant something to the second owner

I expect u got 1k off the price vs one claiming to have FSH?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Would anyone buy a brand new Mercedes and then drive it for 55k without servicing it ?

In a word Yes! , I lived with a girl who bought a new 911.
When my 911 was due for a service, I took the day off to take it down to AFN in Reading.
She said why are you taking it to the garage ? It drove fine last night.
So I said its due a service.
Her reply “Oh mines really great it never breaks down”
4 years old, circa 35,000 miles never serviced .. and she drove like a bat out of hell.
The oil looked like Tar! Consistency of Marmite. :(:(

AFN did an oil flush, and 2 sequential oil changes.
Lucky B*tch ... somehow it survived. ;)

She wasnt even phased with the bad news!
Mind you she had a stonking trust fund ....

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
At some point in the early 90's I bought a Cavalier GSi2000, two years old and 36,000 miles on the clock. Good price as they were still relatively new and sought after second hand.
Later discovered the engine number did not match the log book and looked like a brand new engine had just been fitted. Then discovered it had never been serviced in it's life, which explains the need for a new engine when only two years old!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
In a word Yes! , I lived with a girl who bought a new 911.
When my 911 was due for a service, I took the day off to take it down to AFN in Reading.
She said why are you taking it to the garage ? It drove fine last night.
So I said its due a service.
Her reply “Oh mines really great it never breaks down”
4 years old, circa 35,000 miles never serviced .. and she drove like a bat out of hell.

AFN did an oil flush, and 2 sequential oil changes.
Lucky B*tch ... somehow it survived. ;)

She wasnt even phased with the bad news!
Mind you she had a stonking trust fund ....
One owner lady driver , I can see the advert now :D

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

That's particularly weird as it must have got through quite a lot of tyres, probably brakes, and an MOT or two - so she can't have been unfamiliar with having work done on the car.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
That's particularly weird as it must have got through quite a lot of tyres, probably brakes, and an MOT or two - so she can't have been unfamiliar with having work done on the car.

No idea what she did about brakes, but knowing that “Wild Child” very much doubt she even bothered with an MOT.
The cops came around one day because she had 38 if I remember correctly outstanding parking tickets!
She went to court, 2 year old in her arms .... and charmed her way out of it! Just paid the outstandings and some minimal fine.

She charmed her way out of at least 4 speeding tickets when I was with her ... stunning blonde, best legs I ever saw, and eyes like bambi! Just batted her eyelashes at the young coppers and they just melted!
One I remember was over 125mph, I couldnt beleive he let her off.
If it had been me ... I reckon I would have been carted off in handcuffs.

Mind you times and systems have changed, and she could never get away with that crap now.

Mike2018

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350
55,000mls just read it.......You can take the car to the main MB agent with V5 and proof that you are the owner also take address proof etc and present this they should then be able to get you another service booklet, but then I didn't think they had the books anymore as it's all electronically recorded, hence the protection rubbish.
Indeed, surely no physical books any more, all online.

And I had no problems accessing the records for my s/h Mer - didn't have to go to a dealer with any proof of anything, just went online. In fact, as I recall, I was able to access the service record before I bought it, armed with the reg number and the VIN.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Evans Halshaw....... oh dear. :rolleyes:

My son had a very unpleasant experience with one of their Sales people at the start of the year which, for "the company that cares about more than just selling cars" made the cynic in me smile (more like grimace). :mad:

Fortunately, my lad had his old Dad with him ;) who, has worked in the motor trade for more than 40 years. I'm not saying I know it all but, I've seen and am aware of a lot of the stunts some salespeople will pull to get a sale. :(

The clown that my son had the misfortune to deal with must have thought we'd just fallen out of bed the day before, definitely NOT a good advert for the company who care. :mad:

I had let my lad go in and do all the talking as he has to learn, I won't be around forever, and then when the VW Golf GTD he was looking at started falling short of my expectations (my son was in love with the car sadly), I decided it was time to pipe up. Mr Salesman did not like it at all, as my son was giving all the buying signals and making it too easy for him, agreeing with the "oh yes we'll get that fixed and that and...." so, when I asked about the problems I could see, he tried to rubbish each point I had raised as a reason not to buy the car.

Luckily my son trusts me when it comes to cars, he wasn't pleased but, he came round to my way of thinking after I explained my reservations.

To cut a long story short, Super Salesman didn't get the sale and, was forced by his manager to refund the "hold deposit" of £100, the usual practice when they transfer a car from another branch for you to look at. Said manager, also gave him a dressing down for some of the sharp practice he had tried to employ, which, may just have been for our benefit, however, I've never seen someone blush quite so deeply when given a telling off so, I suspect it was genuine.

It really put me off dealing with EH ever again, I mean, I've bought several cars from Arnold Clark over the years who are known for being tight and had less grief there than I experienced at Evans Halshaw. Never again!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom