Morethan Insurance

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The youths car is insured with Morethan and a black box is fitted.

On the 3/09/2018 Morethan allegedge it was being driven at 65.9 MPH on the M621 to Leeds at 10.39 am, the limit apparently is 50 mph and monitored by average speed cameras.
No penalty notice has been received but that may come later.
I was driving the car and as we all know those yellow cameras control speed very effectively so anyone doing 65 mph would be passing everything, we didn't and I was driving.

I do remember some cameras not in use signs but not exactly where.

Morethan tell me that their "Track" department use Google streetview to check speed limits which are of course reliant on when Mr Google last sent a car down that road.

At least our Government masters give you a picture to ponder over.

The problem is Morethan issue warnings which affect renewal and so called rewards which for a young driver is significant.

Any suggestions ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Try and pin them down for more detail , because sometimes the roadworks speed cameras may not be operational , especially at night if nothing is happening . Find out exactly where they say it occurred and retrace the route to verify ?
If it was overhead gantry average speed , then maybe the had just changed from 50 to National when you passed through it ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Google Street view can be years out of date!
For our house it shows a picture from well over 5 years ago. To use that as justification for a warning in roadworks is just bonkers. I'd be asking them to provide the date of imagery Google are using.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
On Google Street View for our house, in the open front door is a builders bum from when we had work done whilst on holiday in August 2012.

On the satellite view on Google Maps there are no solar panels on the roof. Often I get sales calls from solar companies telling me my roof is ideal for solar, yes I know thats why there are 14 on it!! That image is undated .

Sometimes technology is useful ;);)

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
Any suggestions ?

Surely all you have to do is write to Morethan and tell them you were driving and that you will be accepting any penalties that come your way.

I don't see how they can penalise your child if you do that, although I also know they're a law unto themselves when it benefits them.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thanks for the replies I too spluttered when told they use google streetview and announced it as though indisputable.

The problem is they are judge and jury in these sanctions and as mentioned you would hope they would at least send us the evidence they have used.

The call handler did say a graph she referred to was unclear.
We now have to wait for them to reply.

The Insurance Industry still has a long way to go for people to have confidence in them.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for the replies I too spluttered when told they use google streetview and announced it as though indisputable.

The problem is they are judge and jury in these sanctions and as mentioned you would hope they would at least send us the evidence they have used.

We now have to wait for them to reply.

The Insurance Industry still has a long way to go for people to have confidence in them.
Might be worth suggesting to them that if the basis of the allegation they are making is unclear or lacks full facts and the end result of this is that you/your son end up paying more money to them then they may have edged into the criminal offence of "obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception " :D

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Just ask them for their fact and data. What is their evidence? They must demonstrate it to you.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
At the end of her 1st year of solo driving my 19 year old daughters insurance company told her they were going to increase her premium from £180 per month to £278 per month because of "negative data" provided by her black box, she had not received any previous communication from them regarding this.
She went straight onto Money Supermarket and took out insurance with a different company for £86 per month, Car insurance companys are out of control, they think its a license to print money. they are all scum and cannot be trusted.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Just ask them for their fact and data. What is their evidence? They must demonstrate it to you.

I have requested it, the first you know is a text is sent accusing you of unacceptable driving by speeding, in this case 65.9 mph in a 50 zone
I first requested their data by e-mail this they won't do you have to phone up.
I have and now wait.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD

Why so; poor eyesight, bad contrast, ill-defined abscissa and ordinate..?
Push for assimilation of fact and data.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Why so; poor eyesight, bad contrast, ill-defined abscissa and ordinate..?
Push for assimilation of fact and data.

(It’s because she’s likely a bit fikk)

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
She seemed pleasant enough but as with all "screen jockeys" remember your problem is with those who you don't get to speak to.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
These black boxes are not 100% reliable. Our works vehicles had a TomTom version fitted that worked in the same way. Going under a m/way bridge at 30mph it seems it lost the signal, coming out the other end when the signal was regained it registered the speed as 75mph. This was in a vehicle which was restricted to 60mph.
Also going round roundabouts and hitting a pothole or driving over kerbs would have the thing firing all sorts of warnings at you as if the vehicle was out of control. A bit of a joke when companies then list a league table of all their drivers when spurious info like this is taken as being 100% correct.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I still struggle to believe that I was travelling 15 MPH in excess of the limit and everyone else on a busy motorway covered by average speed cameras.
As of today no reply.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
See what happens but otherwise make sure you follow their prescribed complaints procedure because, if you do, you have the option of going to the Financial Ombudsman Service if they fail to resolve it to your satisfaction. At one time, any complaint to the Ombudsman cost the company a £1000 fee so they try to avoid that at all costs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Ombudsman_Service

batfink

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 C43 AMG Estate
The M621 is indeed 50Mph speed limit for a large portion of it, running between Junction 7 and Junction 1. It's always been this way, however most people tend to do "a bit more" than 50Mph which is probably why you didn't overtake anyone. It's not roadworks, so it isn't average speed cameras however there are a couple of Gatso cameras dotted around along that stretch.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Wow, just WOW.

This really is the age of big brother.

I never liked the idea of this "blackbox" and this just reaffirms my suspicions about how they would use it. So junior has it to reduce his premiums...but senior drives it one day and ...wham...poor junior.

The world has gone mad. They are judge, jury and executioner with no (yet to be established) right of appeal.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Wow, just WOW.

This really is the age of big brother.

I never liked the idea of this "blackbox" and this just reaffirms my suspicions about how they would use it. So junior has it to reduce his premiums...but senior drives it one day and ...wham...poor junior.

The world has gone mad. They are judge, jury and executioner with no (yet to be established) right of appeal.
What can one say!!!...Pot...Kettle...black...

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The plot thickens, today Morethan rung up, which always has my sceptical antennae twitching as they usually do everything by e-mail, anyway today my speed apparently was 77.9 mph ! the sharper ones amongst us will notice the discrepancy from their earlier super accurate GPS tracking !!!!!!

Were now on the M62 where it passes over the A672 and to remove this tosh from my sons insurance record I have to prove I wasn't doing what "Track" their sages of wisdom say I was, the problems of proving a negative are not untravelled.
So now its 27.9 over the limit .......

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom