CL W216 INTERMITTENT ABS-ESP-RUN FLAT WARNING DASH LIGHT

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Glad you got it sorted, sounded like a right ordeal narrowing it down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, It was tricky because the faulty earth point red herring, masked the real issue.
I don't blame the Mobilo guy, as he was really trying to save me a shed load of money.
His thoughts were also logical, namely suddenly all four sensors give problems and the “central” controllers earth looks dodgy.
If only it hadnt been frozen on, one twist of a spanner and some emery paper could have ruled that out.

And then I would have realised this required real work, and would have put it into an Indy and saved myself £200.

The fact it was intermittant was the real issue.

I learnt a lot, but at a price.
One of the key things is apparrently my controller compares each sensor to the normal value; BUT ALSO compares its values to the other 3!

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
After trying everything you suggested nothing would clear the fault so I went to Colin at MBS and they put the CL on STAR...diagnosed faulty front off side sensor so after replacing just the one sensor everything ok to date.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
After trying everything you suggested nothing would clear the fault so I went to Colin at MBS and they put the CL on STAR...diagnosed faulty front off side sensor so after replacing just the one sensor everything ok to date.
Glad to hear ... you are very lucky having Colin so near.

Lucky you only having one bad sensor. :)

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
Thanks Peter, Glad Colin@MBS sorted the problem, Just love the CL full of surprises always expensive ones.
The voltage will still not show on the dash after trying the buttons you suggested.

How is Windsor today, not too many people I hope.

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have this same problem on my W204. My first inclination is a faulty/tired auxiliary battery. The car is a 2012 and has covered 26,000 miles. Would the first step be to drop test the battery ?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I have this same problem on my W204. My first inclination is a faulty/tired auxiliary battery. The car is a 2012 and has covered 26,000 miles. Would the first step be to drop test the battery ?

I may be wrong, but all you have to do is charge the battery and see if its got more than 12.5V.
Then Clear down the codes, and if they reappear with a decent battery voltage ... then its worth putting on Star to find out, which wheel sensors have gone.

Have you got a code reader?
If so just charge the Battery up over 12.5V. Then run the code reader, and clear down any wss faults. If they reappear sorry but it looks like wss.
Worth putting in STAR imo. And definitely do it yourself or go to an Indy ( latter will save you £200).

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I may be wrong, but all you have to do is charge the battery and see if its got more than 12.5V.
Then Clear down the codes, and if they reappear with a decent battery voltage ... then its worth putting on Star to find out, which wheel sensors have gone.

Have you got a code reader?
If so just charge the Battery up over 12.5V. Then run the code reader, and clear down any wss faults. If they reappear sorry but it looks like wss.
Worth putting in STAR imo. And definitely do it yourself or go to an Indy ( latter will save you £200).

No, I havn't got a code reader. I had a friend of mine do a drop test on the battery yesterday and there is no problem with the battery. Yesterday and to-day ?, no messages at all on dash. I wait with baited breath :rolleyes:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
No, I havn't got a code reader. I had a friend of mine do a drop test on the battery yesterday and there is no problem with the battery. Yesterday and to-day ?, no messages at all on dash. I wait with baited breath :rolleyes:

What was your battery voltage , after the car had shut down?

Mine took about 2 months before it would message me every time I drove the car, in the begginning it could run for 8 days without faulting.
In the end it was faulting every time I turned the key.
Only negative I could see in waiting to be sure I had a real problem, was once the steering went heavy as I drove off. Stopping and starting her stopped that.
But I sure wouldnt want that happening as you approach a long sweeping bend at high speed!

Not saying you car will do that as I dont know your car ... but C216s can!

As for the code reader my MBV2 did show WSS faults, but also other crap. It needed Star to definitively show each sensor. (In fairness StAr found 1 sensor was marginal and only faulted out occaisionally).

Hope that helps you.
Having cleaned the reluctor rings, which means you have to remove the sensor, all that is required to change them is to undo an electrical connector, and peel the back peel rear wheel liner to expose it.
So it defo is a possible diy job.

But if it happened again on another car ... it would be straight down to MBS!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What was your battery voltage , after the car had shut down?

Mine took about 2 months before it would message me every time I drove the car, in the begginning it could run for 8 days without faulting.
In the end it was faulting every time I turned the key.
Only negative I could see in waiting to be sure I had a real problem, was once the steering went heavy as I drove off. Stopping and starting her stopped that.
But I sure wouldnt want that happening as you approach a long sweeping bend at high speed!

Not saying you car will do that as I dont know your car ... but C216s can!

As for the code reader my MBV2 did show WSS faults, but also other crap. It needed Star to definitively show each sensor. (In fairness StAr found 1 sensor was marginal and only faulted out occaisionally).

Hope that helps you.
Having cleaned the reluctor rings, which means you have to remove the sensor, all that is required to change them is to undo an electrical connector, and peel the back peel rear wheel liner to expose it.
So it defo is a possible diy job.

But if it happened again on another car ... it would be straight down to MBS!

Many thanks for your interest and help, it has been very helpful information. Hopefully the ABS and EPS messages will not re-show themselves :)

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate

I bet it’s just the sensor. Seems to be a common problem for cars around that age. Mine is a 2012 w204.
I think there must’ve been a problem with the part originally fitted to the car which MB have rectified. I say this because the MB part number of the old sensor that came off the car was slightly different to the one I bought from the dealer that I fitted.
It’s a diy job, be careful not to break the plastic fastenings at the base of the arch lining..

Cheers
Steve

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I bet it’s just the sensor. Seems to be a common problem for cars around that age. Mine is a 2012 w204.
I think there must’ve been a problem with the part originally fitted to the car which MB have rectified. I say this because the MB part number of the old sensor that came off the car was slightly different to the one I bought from the dealer that I fitted.
It’s a diy job, be careful not to break the plastic fastenings at the base of the arch lining..

Cheers
Steve

Yep they changed the part no. in mine in 2014
Apparently they dont play well with the old part no. So its recommended to change both sides :-/

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom