[W203] How do I remove this fuel filter clamp?

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L
Hi guys,

So I'm replacing the fuel filter on my 2003 W203 coupe with 130k miles and it seems like the fuel filter has never been changed.

Anyways, I don't know the correct way to remove the clamps on the lines as I've never come across these type of clamps before.

Looking at Youtube videos and how-to-guides, I was expecting to see the worm clamp types with the screw to unloose and thought I'd re-use them. But when I got under the car, it threw me off and had to abort as
a) I didn't know how to remove the clamps without damaging the lines and
b) I didn't have spare worm clamps to replace them with.

Would be great if someone could advise me on how to remove these clamps + also advise me on the correct size clamps to buy.

Cheers

IMG_6652.JPG IMG_6649.JPG

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi guys,

So I'm replacing the fuel filter on my 2003 W203 coupe with 130k miles and it seems like the fuel filter has never been changed.

Anyways, I don't know the correct way to remove the clamps on the lines as I've never come across these type of clamps before.

Looking at Youtube videos and how-to-guides, I was expecting to see the worm clamp types with the screw to unloose and thought I'd re-use them. But when I got under the car, it threw me off and had to abort as

Would be great if someone could advise me on how to remove these clamps + also advise me on the correct size clamps to buy.

Cheers

View attachment 46018 View attachment 46017
They are called clic-r clamps I believe buddy , they can be removed with pliers but you can buy a clic-r pliers from eBay cheaply

OP
H

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are called clic-r clamps I believe buddy , they can be removed with pliers but you can buy a clic-r pliers from eBay cheaply
Cheers Wighty, exactly what I needed.

Just did some Googling on Clic R and found a detailed forum post on these clamps. Seems like I'll need to check my toolbox for a wire-nail cutter plier to remove these clips as I don't have the tool or try yanking these off with a standard plier and replace with new clamps.

Thanks once again, much appreciated ;)

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Hi Hustler, these style of clamps come off very easily with a small flat blade screwdriver used as a lever - the trick is getting them back :eek::eek::eek::eek:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You can get Clic-r pliers from Halfords for not much money. Best to use the correct tools (especially since you're working round fuel lines).

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You'll probably use it more than you think...

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Or just treat them as one-time clips, and renew them with decent worm drive clips when you refit the hoses.
After all, they've also done 130k miles in all that wet and dirt.

OP
H

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Got the tool today. Only managed to get one clip off and after faffing around for almost an hour under the car with limited manoeuvrability, I gave up. Seems like the tool isn't able to get underneath the overlapping part of the clip to detach it, but to be fair it looked like there was nothing for the tool to grip under to detach it in the first place.

Anyone know how much a garage should charge for a fuel filter change? Already have the new filter and already removed the underbody cover and filter mount, so all the mechanic needs to do is take off those pesky clamps and swap it out.

Cheers

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Got the tool today. Only managed to get one clip off and after faffing around for almost an hour under the car with limited manoeuvrability, I gave up. Seems like the tool isn't able to get underneath the overlapping part of the clip to detach it, but to be fair it looked like there was nothing for the tool to grip under to detach it in the first place.

Anyone know how much a garage should charge for a fuel filter change? Already have the new filter and already removed the underbody cover and filter mount, so all the mechanic needs to do is take off those pesky clamps and swap it out.

Cheers
Watch this YOUTUBE video for help.
The clamps come off with either using cutters to twist or a flat head screwdriver in the gap of the clamp. Have new worm drive clamps to replace them. The hoses can take a bit of a twist or lever to break the seal and use a bit of petroleum jelly to lubricate the nipples on the new filter to help ease the pipes back on.
Don't forget to remove the fuse first and I used clamps like those in the video to help reduce the leaks.
Don't give up and save yourself quite a few £.

Wot1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 E320 -648
I gave up trying to pry them off with a screwdriver. My method is to use the clic pliers to relieve tension, you must make sure the notch on one jaw of the pliers is on the clamp the correct way, because one side of the clamp has a bump. Once pressure is relieved you take a skinny awl and push in at the clamp overlap and pop. I paid 40€ for the pliers because they are German made. You should not reuse the clamps, they are only 2€ each, and the worm drive are not safe.

Wot1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 E320 -648
From what i have read and experienced is the that smaller diameter clamps have a flat spot at the screw, and some clamps have crappy screws which allow vibration to loosen the clamp over time. The click clamps provide a constant known/measured/exact clamping force, the screw clamp force is an unreliable estimate determined by the mechanic.
The market has been flooded by the cheaply made chinese screw clamps, and its simple and just as inexpensive (once you purchase the tool) to install the proper clamp.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
From what i have read and experienced is the that smaller diameter clamps have a flat spot at the screw, and some clamps have crappy screws which allow vibration to loosen the clamp over time. The click clamps provide a constant known/measured/exact clamping force, the screw clamp force is an unreliable estimate determined by the mechanic.
The market has been flooded by the cheaply made chinese screw clamps, and its simple and just as inexpensive (once you purchase the tool) to install the proper clamp.

So your point is not that 'jubilee' type clips are bad but could be if you use rubbish parts of the incorrect size.
This could be said for almost anything :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I've had this problem of vibration and or heat/cold expansion loosening the cheap screw clamps . I just buy new clic clamps for the fuel filter .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've had this problem of vibration and or heat/cold expansion loosening the cheap screw clamps . I just buy new clic clamps for the fuel filter .
Use Mikalor clamps. Never had an issue.

Neil C1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203. 2004. C270
Get a
Hi guys,

Cheers

View attachment 46018 View attachment 46017
Get a very small screw driver and put in the hole in the middle and wiggle it. It will open use a good pair of pliers to close them when you finish you will hear a click when it’s closed.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Because if do up a jubilee clip, it never tightens in a complete circle, almost always like an egg shape, which over crushes the braided pipe causing it damage and not always a tight seal, causing a leak at some point going forward. Jubilee clips should always be used on bigger hoses like radiator hoses for example, even then most use constant pressure clips now.

clic r pipes are designed for maximum hold and shape and you will never damage the pipe.

You would not believe the amount of crushed up, frayed, deformed, twisted and leaking pipes I see just from using the wrong clips.

Last edited:

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Because if do up a jubilee clip, it never tightens in a complete circle, almost always like an egg shape, which over crushes the braided pipe causing it damage and not always a tight seal, causing a leak at some point going forward. Jubilee clips should always be used on bigger hoses like radiator hoses for example, even then most use constant pressure clips now.

clic r pipes are designed for maximum hold and shape and you will never damage the pipe.

You would not believe the amount of crushed up, frayed, deformed, twisted and leaking pipes I see just from using the wrong clips.

Then I would suggest you are using the wrong size.
Jubilee type clips are fine when used correctly and are pretty common even in aviation.
If the OEM uses a particular type though I would tend to use that if possible.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom