Is there any point in a 2 bucket wash if you do a long pre-clean?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I have a jet washer (non industrial) to clean my other jet washer after cleaning the car with it. Do I need another jet washer to jet wash the secondary jet washer or am I safe using the now clean first jet washer (also non industrial) to clean it?

No, no, no you just need 2 buckets, 1 to wash each washer, the other to rinse after washing :geek:

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
But what should you then use to wash out the two buckets????

A third bucket???????

How long should one wash the third bucket out for after cleaning the two main wash buckets?

Should I use a sponge or a brush or a lambswool mitt?

Should I use vertical, horizontal strokes to clean the inside of the bucket?

What temperature water should I be using?

What should the ideal ph of the cleaning solution be for cleaning the third bucket?

Should I leave it to dry naturally,buff it gently or pop it in the oven on a low heat to dry the third bucket?????????

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Subs car washing threads just get crazier each time. To recap, a car that hardly gets used is washed to within an micron of its metal destroying the environment along with it :D

When I jetwash my car there isn’t enough runoff to reach the drain 5m away.

If you clean your car as much as you say then it becomes easier due to the protection on the paint. I’m not too fastidious but after a clean, clay, polish and wax I found my car basically keeps itself clean. A quick snowfoam, rinse off, dry and either some Sonax or BH double speed and I’m done.

For 6 weeks I wouldn’t worry. My S203 had been outside for best part of a year when I bought it. It took about six washes to remove all traces of algae. The paint came up as new after the above treatment.
When I first picked up mine I was washing every Saturday, it was to the point where I was getting upset if I missed a wash. Now I am washing at best once a month. I'm not sure if it's the Sonax but the car doesn't get that dirty and still beads waster off.

I now realise that Sonax is not required on every wash!! Like JBell was telling me!

Last edited:

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
I personally use the 15 bucket method, trouble is sometimes I forget which order the buckets should be in, so I've got all different coloured ones and I've also got a program on my pc that when the car is due a wash I can then print it off, then put it in a waterproof folder to make sure I use the buckets in the correct order.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Yes but the hour and a half here is just the time the water is coming out of the "look at me my Kartcher is much more expensive than yours"
Ouch.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
In all honesty I hope Sub hasn’t taken offence to my comment, I wasn’t in the best of moods that day and this thread was a bit of a vent. That said I do stand by what I said, Sub does come across at times that money is the answer and bigger, more expensive is always the way and any one that doesn’t do he same it just inferior.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In all honesty I hope Sub hasn’t taken offence to my comment, I wasn’t in the best of moods that day and this thread was a bit of a vent. That said I do stand by what I said, Sub does come across at times that money is the answer and bigger, more expensive is always the way and any one that doesn’t do he same it just inferior.
Maybe you're like me, I will make a comment which I feel was just and far, and then later read again and realise that my comment could be taken as rude or could insult the OP. Carry on anyway as this does take the heat from me!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Okay maybe a little mean but I’m sure I’m not the only one that thinks it.
Don't apologise...I agree with everything you said. The first post is nonsensical. A car that hardly moves throughout the year is getting a 1.5 hour temporary fix wash.

I moved house at the end of June and washed my car for the first time last week. The car came up lovely...and all for about an hour (or maybe less) effort.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't apologise...I agree with everything you said. The first post is nonsensical. A car that hardly moves throughout the year is getting a 1.5 hour temporary fix wash.

I moved house at the end of June and washed my car for the first time last week. The car came up lovely...and all for about an hour (or maybe less) effort.
I was spending more time cleaning than driving! I would clean my car on Saturday, then it rained and then it was dirty looking again. with cleaning less it is now a more satisfying process. I'm now more chilled, thank God!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I now realise that Sonax is not required on every wash!! Like JBell was telling me!

Told you lol, after the 4th coat it just washes off

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Told you lol, after the 4th coat it just washes off
I was also applying after every wash and wasting the stuff. It still beads now and I've not applied the stuff for ages!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Leaving snow foam in for 30 minutes would be bad news, some will set!
The 30 mins was the rinse time for the snow foam , this Valet pro only stays on for 4 mins.
With this foam lance it only takes 100ml diluted 4 : 1 ... great VFM. Leaves it almost clean.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Is this a joke?
150+ gallons of water to clean a car!
I hope you are on a meter and paying for this excessive use.

No, I refused the meter, and won on the grounds the water boards loose 3.1 Billion litres per day due to infrastructure leaks.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
No, I refused the meter, and won on the grounds the water boards loose 3.1 Billion litres per day due to infrastructure leaks.
I heard on the news yesterday that they're wanting to be able to force people onto meters due to the leaks, they've conveniently missed the point that most of the leaks are due to the water boards own issues and nothing to do with the end consumer.

They want more meters as it's a great revenue stream for them (see what I did there...). It boils my blood that they're forcing meters on a waste water ticket when it's all about revenue, if they wanted to save water they'd look at investing in their infrastructure and repairing that. There's a leak down the hill from me that's been there for over 6 months - they know about it, it's just in the difficult / expensive category so not a priority.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I heard on the news yesterday that they're wanting to be able to force people onto meters due to the leaks, they've conveniently missed the point that most of the leaks are due to the water boards own issues and nothing to do with the end consumer.

They want more meters as it's a great revenue stream for them (see what I did there...). It boils my blood that they're forcing meters on a waste water ticket when it's all about revenue, if they wanted to save water they'd look at investing in their infrastructure and repairing that. There's a leak down the hill from me that's been there for over 6 months - they know about it, it's just in the difficult / expensive category so not a priority.

Thats my point entirely ... they tried to fine me £1,000 for washing the car during a ban.
My point they are loosing more in leaks today than 10 years ago. Er I thought we were getting more eco concious.
They persistantly, annually commit a criminal offence by their Directors signjng off the Accounts as showing a true and fair view of the profit and loss and balance sheet. Its not a true and fair view ... when you deliberately supress vital maintenance to boost the profits, and consequently senior managements bonuses!
They also boost the profits, so they can be sold off and then another enormous round of bonuses and pension options!

They dropped the fine, when I told them I would demand the Police investigate it.

Its an utter scandal they loose 21% of all the water before it even hits our stopcocks.

In this area, they open the sluices and dump river water into the sea at least 6 times a year, as they havent the reservoir capacity.

Water Board Directors salaries , pension rights, share options skyrocket! And the leaks increase and their profits rise annually! As do our bills.

Why because most of the public are retarded, when it comes to actually analysing whats really going on.

If they repaired the infrastructure, and built connecting pipes between the water boards to manage excess water, and built a few reservoirs ... we would have a huge surplus of water ... hell we could export it to France!

Get real ... its nothing to do with water scarcity ... its all about their bonuses!
Ask yourself if you want to build a swimming pool, what do you think they say
“ Oh No Never its far too much of a waste of water “
Nope thats perfectly fine, you just pay the swimming pool charge!
My case rests!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Demand the police investigate??

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom