refusing kickdown

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Out for a drive yesterday, went to accelerate, there was no change down, I flicked the shift lever to the side and 4 popped up indicating a change down, by this time I didn't need to speed as I was coming to a shop. After I had stopped and then started about 10 minutes later, I started off like an old boy racer! The changes were perfect and have been since, what the heck was going on ?

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you tried another kick down relay?
No I haven't, I think it must be electrical as it cleared after I stopped at a shop, it hasn't done it since. I think I will just play it by ear, if it does it again I will look into it much more, and I will keep you all informed.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I think the general advice for box issues is start with a fresh filter and oil if you don't know when it was / ever been changed , unless you get a permanent problem where it can be plugged into and the codes can be read

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the general advice for box issues is start with a fresh filter and oil if you don't know when it was / ever been changed , unless you get a permanent problem where it can be plugged into and the codes can be read
I change the transmission oil every 40k, at the moment it is near the change time again.

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I change the transmission oil every 40k, at the moment it is near the change time again.
Well, the problem seems to have been the EGR, apparently the computer said something along the lines of too much air, seems like there was a seal that needed renewed, there is another which the garage did not have a replacement for so it was a case of try it and see if that is any better. It was intermittent anyway, but so far no problem, happy days!

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, the problem seems to have been the EGR, apparently the computer said something along the lines of too much air, seems like there was a seal that needed renewed, there is another which the garage did not have a replacement for so it was a case of try it and see if that is any better. It was intermittent anyway, but so far no problem, happy days!
Spoke too soon, it has come back to haunt me, fault codes point to the EGR valve. Just noticed I should have this in 'Engine Drivetrain Fuel and Exhausts, in my case I have fault codes.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
When I had no kickdown with my S203 C270Cdi, along with not being able to rev above 3k, it was the MAF. Thankfully car was under warranty so changing the MAF cost me nothing, but it cured the problem!

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I had no kickdown with my S203 C270Cdi, along with not being able to rev above 3k, it was the MAF. Thankfully car was under warranty so changing the MAF cost me nothing, but it cured the problem!
Well, hopefully the indie read it right, I will update when I get the new EGR fitted .

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, hopefully the indie read it right, I will update when I get the new EGR fitted .
Well, a new EGR was fitted today and it seems to have solved the problem. Sometimes I felt the gearchange was harsh, I suppose one would say it snatched, that has been eliminated too.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
What is the mileage.
If you have the old EGR, please put up a picture. Thanks.

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is the mileage.
If you have the old EGR, please put up a picture. Thanks.
The mileage is 160k. Unfortunately I do not have the EGR. Interestingly I was talking to a customer when the EGR was being fitted and he told me about a company who does remapping etc, I don't know what the cost would be to bypass the EGR, I did ask my indie a year or so ago and they said that they didn't do that. Had I been speaking to that customer a month ago I probably wouldn't have fitted a new EGR, but there you go. The EGR itself was £264, I think the customer said a remap was around £500, but I don't know what that covers.

OP
R

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The mileage is 160k. Unfortunately I do not have the EGR. Interestingly I was talking to a customer when the EGR was being fitted and he told me about a company who does remapping etc, I don't know what the cost would be to bypass the EGR, I did ask my indie a year or so ago and they said that they didn't do that. Had I been speaking to that customer a month ago I probably wouldn't have fitted a new EGR, but there you go. The EGR itself was £264, I think the customer said a remap was around £500, but I don't know what that covers.
I should add, at my age an improvement in MPG is of more interest than burning off someone at the lights, although that can be handy at times too!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom