3 little mods.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
3 little mods to be fitted soon.
1st. LED footwell lights, should also fit, boot, glove box, sun visors.
20181013_205613.jpg 20181013_205649.jpg 2nd, under door LED lights
projecting Mercedes logo onto floor.
20181013_205404.jpg 20181013_205439.jpg 3rd, Billet aluminium paddle shifters.
20181013_204819.jpg 20181013_204844.jpg 20181013_204943.jpg All to be fitted to my 2011
E class coupe.
Pics to follow when fitted.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Number 1. I'd use it in all except the visors.
I put them in and took them back out, in mine they were too bright and clinical, felt like I was in a fish tank. Standard bulbs are nice.

Number 2. Oh dear.

Number 3. Very nice!

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Number 2. Oh dear.
Well, errr ... you know ... actually ... errrmm ... I like it! :p

I think it's fun ;)

35874519993_5b7f81071f_o.jpg

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Number 1. I'd use it in all except the visors.
I put them in and took them back out, in mine they were too bright and clinical, felt like I was in a fish tank. Standard bulbs are nice.
Just use 3000K LED lamps, hey presto!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've seen the projector lights before and thought about doing it for almost a second before thinking it was a step too far and a bit chavvy. I can see why some people like them though, they are a good clear image.

Just use 3000K LED lamps, hey presto!

Could have done that but the standard bubs work well enough for me, not really sure why I tried LED in them.
Also many LED's flash very fast and my eyes are sensitive to it.
LED rear lights (the red side lights) on cars drive me nuts at night.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
There’s a thing about red, it (and blue) are perceived to be the least bright for any given actual optical emission power. So the fact that you find the red brake lamps to be so bright is interesting...

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There’s a thing about red, it (and blue) are perceived to be the least bright for any given actual optical emission power. So the fact that you find the red brake lamps to be so bright is interesting...

It's not the brightness, it's the fact they flash at something like 100hz.
LED rear lights usually flash like crazy, on half the time and off half the time, brake lights are usually on constant.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's not the brightness, it's the fact they flash at something like 100hz.
Human eye (or rather brain) cannot detect that, surely?
This is the basis of the good old cine film (whether 8mm or 70mm, and everything in between), which is essentially 24Hz, i.e. there are 24 frames per second, although the OFF time (the time it takes to transport the film one frame up) is significantly shorter, than ON time (exposure of a fixed in place frame). In any case, we can't see all that, and perceive it as a continuous motion.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
You don't suffer from meniere's by chance John, strobing of led lights can be a small sign

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not just me then!

My missus and son wouldn't believe me until I swung an LED around close to them and they could see it strobing.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You don't suffer from meniere's by chance John, strobing of led lights can be a small sign

Just looked it up, possibly but it's any flashing lights not just red ones.
The little man on pedestrian crossings where they press the button is really annoying when driving too. Sometimes they are visible when stopped at traffic lights.

It's ok when you look at them. just annoying when they're in peripheral vision.

Just like the old tellies when there were lots of them in a shop window, fine when looking at one at home but flashing when you were just walking past.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Even my HID headlights flash, it's noticeable in cats eyes, Never knew HID flashed, I thought it was a continuous arc?

Just found this...
https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/lighting_flicker.html

Can you actually see lights flicker?

It depends on the frequency of the flicker. People can see lights flashing on and off up to about 50 flashes per second (50 Hz) - they are most sensitive to time-varying illumination in the 10-25 Hz range. The actual critical flicker frequency increases as the light intensity increases up to a maximum value, after which it starts to decrease. When a light is flickering at a frequency greater than 50 or so Hertz, most people can no longer distinguish between the individual flickers. At this frequency - the critical flicker frequency or flicker fusion threshold - the flashes appear to fuse into a steady, continuous source of light. This happens because the response to the light stimulus lasts longer than the flash itself.

Most people cannot notice the flicker in fluorescent lights that have a flicker rate of 120 cycles per second (or 120 Hz). Flicker with LED lights may be more noticeable due to the fact that LED lights flicker between less than 10% and 100%, where as fluorescent lights dim to about 35% and back to 100%).

The light flicker may be detected by its stroboscopic effect. When objects move or rotate rapidly, they may be lit at or about the same position during each cycle or rotation. This makes objects look as if they are moving more slowly than their actual speeds - they may even appear stationary if the object is moving at the same rate as the flicker frequency (or a multiple of it). This fact is the principle behind a strobe light but it is not the desired effect in general lighting. In fact, it could be a safety hazard if someone mistakenly thought that some equipment was stationary or was moving slowly.

Last edited:

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Where are the Billet aluminium paddle shifters from?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Even my HID headlights flash, it's noticeable in cats eyes, Never knew HID flashed, I thought it was a continuous arc?

Just found this...
https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/lighting_flicker.html

Can you actually see lights flicker?

It depends on the frequency of the flicker. People can see lights flashing on and off up to about 50 flashes per second (50 Hz) - they are most sensitive to time-varying illumination in the 10-25 Hz range. The actual critical flicker frequency increases as the light intensity increases up to a maximum value, after which it starts to decrease. When a light is flickering at a frequency greater than 50 or so Hertz, most people can no longer distinguish between the individual flickers. At this frequency - the critical flicker frequency or flicker fusion threshold - the flashes appear to fuse into a steady, continuous source of light. This happens because the response to the light stimulus lasts longer than the flash itself.

Most people cannot notice the flicker in fluorescent lights that have a flicker rate of 120 cycles per second (or 120 Hz). Flicker with LED lights may be more noticeable due to the fact that LED lights flicker between less than 10% and 100%, where as fluorescent lights dim to about 35% and back to 100%).

The light flicker may be detected by its stroboscopic effect. When objects move or rotate rapidly, they may be lit at or about the same position during each cycle or rotation. This makes objects look as if they are moving more slowly than their actual speeds - they may even appear stationary if the object is moving at the same rate as the flicker frequency (or a multiple of it). This fact is the principle behind a strobe light but it is not the desired effect in general lighting. In fact, it could be a safety hazard if someone mistakenly thought that some equipment was stationary or was moving slowly.

It's a population distribution thing. A smallish percentage of any given population will be able to detect more flicker in <any> artificial lighting with the exception of a DC filament lamp or the sun, than the rest. Same with televisions and other VDUs, I used to work with a guy who could see display units flashing, made for working at a computer unpleasant for him.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom