Washing up liquid.

B

brick10

If you use washing up liquid will it get rid of all previous wax used on the car.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I wouldn't use it if I were you. Washing Up Liquid contains all kind of chemicals that will harm the finish on your car. It accelerates the oxidation process and gives the car a dull look, it will also break down the wax coat on your car. It can be tough on rubber too. :(

Last edited:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I used Fairy washing up liquid for years to clean my cars . And i never found it caused me any problemes in any way or form. They even say to soak rubber parts in washing up liquid to help to assemble them. As long as you give the car a good wash off with clean water ,then dry it off .Some just wash it and throw a bucket of water over the car and let the sun bake it in to the paintwork . Thats how it marks the paint .And water alone will do this if left to dry .. So dont let water or washing up liquid sit on the paintwork for a period of time ..

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
We use fairy liquid when seating road and mountain bike tyres all the time, you can buy specific stuff, but we've never had issues. Plus, my mum used to wash her Mini Metro with the stuff, so must be ok :D. I always thought it was the salt in the stuff that caused a problem, that why washing a bike with is not great.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I used to work with a chap that washed his car every week with fairy liquid and it was always gleaming. The odd wash with it will do no harm at all

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Chemical guys clean slate is what I use

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Now hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face, with mild green Fairy liquid. If I could banish all the advertising jingles stored in my head, I'd have enough processing power for original thinking. Ah well...

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Now hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face, with mild green Fairy liquid. If I could banish all the advertising jingles stored in my head, I'd have enough processing power for original thinking. Ah well...

Now that will be stuck in my brain for days now :rolleyes::shock::rolleyes:

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
I'm afraid I'm a proponent of using products that are made for the job, and wouldn't wash my pots with car shampoo. Fairy etc contains lots of degreasing chemicals which will leach oils out of paint over time (old Metros used tougher paint than modern soft cars), and salt, which is really great for rust..
If you run a Merc surely you can afford to buy some car shampoo ?
For the OP - yes, it will remove wax, but maybe not in one go - you'd be better using a dedicated pre-wax cleanser, which will. We've got some Sonax stuff on eBay at £6.95 - Item number: 163350906031

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Why has nobody answered the op's question?

I think the answer is yes, it will. And then you can apply a nice new coat of wax etc etc...

Although I no longer use Fairy (due in the main because of car forums) I never had a problem caused by it.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Why has nobody answered the op's question?

I think the answer is yes, it will. And then you can apply a nice new coat of wax etc etc...

Although I no longer use Fairy (due in the main because of car forums) I never had a problem caused by it.
Now that you’ve reminded us....
Yes, it will especially the nasty stuff from the pound shop

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It will clean the car, but the high salt content and cleaning chemicals will scratch the clearcoat and this is where the dullness comes from. It is fantastic for cleaning prior to sanding paintwork, and very good, used neat, for removing polish etc from rubbers and plastic trim..the grey bits... (use with a toothbrush or similar) Much easier on paintwork than the Traffic Film Remover(acid) used in most car washes.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There is some basis to the scare stories surrounding washing up liquid but as with many things the valeting industry wants to sell you a small amount of something expensive to make their money.
As winter approaches the gritting wagons are waiting to cover the roads with salt getting that off is important both on top and under your car.
Car washing by machine or by hand that removes this salt is useful for your car.
Check your ingredients....

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom