Cheap winter tyres/winter alloys&tyres

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
Dear all

I must confess I’m a total MB newbie

First ever, went for a C220 bluetec, 2.1, SE, 2016, I believe this is a W205

Living up in Scotland we survived last winter, just, and we did get stranded for a week till car was able to cope with the worst of winter

Given that I regularly travel that far north I’m considering winter tyres (had them before in a FWD and it was blissful in winter). Few questions, If you could please entertain me with your experience:

-any experience with Jinyu or sunny winter tyres?

-cheapest alloys for a w205 That fit 225/50/17? (Trying to avoid changing rubber twice a year and save my original alloys from winter) found some “alutec grip” in mytyres.co.uk for about £100 each (plus £10 each for the TPS)

I drive Michelin’s but they are sincerely hopeless in the snow and the threads are at least 5mm, so wondering whether biting the bullet of buying a full winter alloy/budget tyre is cheaper over three years

Thanks in advance!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Mytyres is where is get mine, the later you leave it the more expensive I find they become. I bought mine in August and will probably fit them next money as it’s just too hot at the moment. With winter tyres they’re great, without don’t even bother...

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
In the long run cheaper and easier to buy a second set of rims and tyres, as it will cost you about £40 every 6 months to change tyres on the same set of rims, plus there is always the possibility of the fitter damaging your rims. I bought a set of 16's for my S204, immaculate and with winter tyres, off Ebay for less than £300!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Your best optionay be to get some Michelin Crossclimate 2 tyres. An all season tyre that's quiet, going to better than cheap Chinese winter ditchfinders and given you won't need a second set of alloys as well as tyres probably cheaper.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I use Tyreleader or Camskill for my winters , delivery only and I get my local garage to fit them . Both cars have spare wheels for winter tyres , although this year the Clk which has steel wheels has a set of all seasons on .
The plan is I can use the all seasons more outside the winter if I choose , like long European drives .
I would seriously consider the all seasons (which you run all year) unless the cost is a lot more than a set of winter tyres and eBay wheels which you swap over yourself .

OP
Cgd

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
Mytyres is where is get mine, the later you leave it the more expensive I find they become. I bought mine in August and will probably fit them next money as it’s just too hot at the moment. With winter tyres they’re great, without don’t even bother...
thanks blobcat

OP
Cgd

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
In the long run cheaper and easier to buy a second set of rims and tyres, as it will cost you about £40 every 6 months to change tyres on the same set of rims, plus there is always the possibility of the fitter damaging your rims. I bought a set of 16's for my S204, immaculate and with winter tyres, off Ebay for less than £300!
thanks Chrishazle, i tend to agree with you, i'm currently hunting down options on ebay

OP
Cgd

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
Your best optionay be to get some Michelin Crossclimate 2 tyres. An all season tyre that's quiet, going to better than cheap Chinese winter ditchfinders and given you won't need a second set of alloys as well as tyres probably cheaper.
will defo consider LostKiwi, since i do low milage this may actually work, the jury still out

OP
Cgd

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
I use Tyreleader or Camskill for my winters , delivery only and I get my local garage to fit them . Both cars have spare wheels for winter tyres , although this year the Clk which has steel wheels has a set of all seasons on .
The plan is I can use the all seasons more outside the winter if I choose , like long European drives .
I would seriously consider the all seasons (which you run all year) unless the cost is a lot more than a set of winter tyres and eBay wheels which you swap over yourself .
thanks Wighty, all, from the responses i see that this is just a wee can of worms! indeed, i don't want to risk the alloys getting damaged on the swap overs (and avoid the cost of the twice a year labour), also i see that top of the range tyres may do just fine!

will keep you up to date with what i end up with, great to hear from you!

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
will defo consider LostKiwi, since i do low milage this may actually work, the jury still out

This is what I have done albeit as a second set but I did want to move from 16" to 17". Found a set of not too shabby alloys on ebay and had Crossclimate+ 225/45 R17 fitted.
Came in under £500 all in.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I use winters on my current rims. I have a fitter I can trust not to damage my alloys and I prefer the look of them rather than have some ‘alternatives’ for the winter which look horrid and would offend me every time I go to the car....
I’ve Uniroyal MS 77 winters , bit like tractor tyres but effective! They were reasonably priced from Mytyres - not cheap Chinese ditchfinders (please don’t do this to your car...or yourself).
Bear in mind winters will extend the lifetime of your summers too, so apart from an early investment you’ll break even at some point

OP
Cgd

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
This is what I have done albeit as a second set but I did want to move from 16" to 17". Found a set of not too shabby alloys on ebay and had Crossclimate+ 225/45 R17 fitted.
thanks AnthonyUK. have found quite a few options of original MB alloys with decent winters (with at least 5mm thread). now the question is whether to stick for 17" or to consider 16" for the winter months!

OP
Cgd

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
I use winters on my current rims. I have a fitter I can trust not to damage my alloys and I prefer the look of them rather than have some ‘alternatives’ for the winter which look horrid and would offend me every time I go to the car....
I’ve Uniroyal MS 77 winters , bit like tractor tyres but effective! They were reasonably priced from Mytyres - not cheap Chinese ditchfinders (please don’t do this to your car...or yourself).
Bear in mind winters will extend the lifetime of your summers too, so apart from an early investment you’ll break even at some point
thanks John Laidlaw, i'm yet to find the fitter (i used to change car every year so i'm now in a position of keeping my Merc wheels for a while, and very happy to, but need to re-learn the trades!). will have a look at those Uniroyal, i'd rather have tractor tyres anyday as long as i keep on the move in winter than have the car on the side of the road gathering ice!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Bear in mind that winter tyres loose their effrectiveness in snow at 4mm tread depth - which is why you see lots of second hand winter tyres for sale with 5mm of tread!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
image.jpeg Just put these on the E class today which I bourght from eBay a few years ago for £200 with some winters on as well . They are only 16's , but the advantage is the Pirellis only cost just over £55 at that size .

OP
Cgd

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
nice one! just found a 16" set with dunlop's winter, immaculate for about 400 pounds. will be checking them out tomorrow. according to my checking of the charts it fits my w204, they come from a c220 d 2012, fingers crossed!

OP
Cgd

Cgd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/16/2.1
Bear in mind that winter tyres loose their effrectiveness in snow at 4mm tread depth - which is why you see lots of second hand winter tyres for sale with 5mm of tread!
noted, thanks Chrishazle!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom