Penetrating fluid test.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A real corrosion nerd video testing various penetrants I will stick to atf and acetone for now.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Now that IS interesting...

Shame he didn’t have any Plus Gas!

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
No. I can't listen to him any longer (at 20 seconds).

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
My experience with penetrating oils is that NONE of them get to where they need to go. Using perspex to demonstration purposes is all very well, but it doesn't emulate actual conditions where both nut and bolt will be rusting.

If a bolt is rusted solid such that you need to get brutal with it, the penetration oil won''t be able to get in there.

Obviously, once the bolt has moved initially any kind of thin oil will work, but that's not the marketing thrust that Penetrating oils are sold on.

All the above IMHO, obviously, but I've been spannering cars for nearly 50 years and this is the conclusion I've come to.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
My experience with penetrating oils is that NONE of them get to where they need to go. Using perspex to demonstration purposes is all very well, but it doesn't emulate actual conditions where both nut and bolt will be rusting.

If a bolt is rusted solid such that you need to get brutal with it, the penetration oil won''t be able to get in there.

Obviously, once the bolt has moved initially any kind of thin oil will work, but that's not the marketing thrust that Penetrating oils are sold on.

All the above IMHO, obviously, but I've been spannering cars for nearly 50 years and this is the conclusion I've come to.

Agree with all of the above.

If it won't undo then either a substantial amount of heat to persuade it, or an angle grinder to eliminate it. Drastic the secondary approach may be, but it's certainly time saving in the grand scale of things.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Heat is when possible the best thing I have used, some penetrating fluids given long enough do make a difference.
A clout with the hammer can sometimes improve things.
What riles me is why some manufacturers still churn out rust magnets for safety critical components.

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Worst removal I had was in 1968 working in a power station, two of us got the job of changing 16 1" BSF studs in a steam valve of a main boiler. Another power station had the same valve cover blow off when the studs failed.
First we tried locking two nuts to unscrew using lots of penetrating oil, then we welded the nuts on the studs, then we cut the studs to just over 1" high and welded nuts on still no movement, finally we drilled 1/2" holes down each stud and filled them with welding hoping they would contract, they did but it still took a 16lb sledge hammer on a flogging ring all the way out, sure that the penetrating oil did nothing.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW

Agree the secret is in getting the first movement then being sensible with little oil working it in back and forth.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Do you s think impact wrench’s make life easier . As long as you don’t round the head
Yes.
Less chance of rounding the head of you use the correct impact socket (which will be a 6 point hex as opposed to the more usual 12 point). Biggest danger with impact wrenches is snapping the bolt/stud.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Coke/Pepsi is a myth but try telling those that have used it and believe it works lol.

Diesel, atf, light oils, heat cold, every squirty can brand under the sun promising freedom and release of the rusty stuff ........ sacrificing a chicken ....... been there got the T-shirt.

If it not coming out/undone its not coming out............

Drilling the bastige is my preferred method, but then this starts the discussion Colbalt Carbide Tungsten, even the little drill set once found in a Xmas cracker..........

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
A few mechanics have told me they use coke overnite on black death and then run the engine until it gets hot and the black death just scrapes off like toffee

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Run the engine till its hot and it scrapes off anyway.

Not doing the Coke debate, been doing this sh*t too long to know what works and don't,
if someone thinks it worked then they couldn't have been trying hard enough the first time. imho

:)

Last edited:
OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Used Mr Muscle for black death on a warm engine worked for me oh and some carb cleaner finished it off nicely.
Lots of people use same stuff.

There are some more noxious chemicals that work well but they are not commonly available.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's a cop out... is the earth flat in your world? ;)

Not a cop out just some common sense.

A 12 oz. can of cola with caffeine contains the most with 37 mg of phosphorus,
while the same size serving of diet cola with caffeine contains 32 mg.
Cream soda, ginger ale and root beer are all phosphorus free.
Milk and yogurt contain more phosphorus than soft drinks.
An 8 oz. serving of skim milk has 247 mg, and an 8 oz. serving of yogurt 385 mg.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/504049-the-phosphate-levels-of-soft-drinks/

I don't see any one pouring milk over their rusty nuts and bolts
or putting yogurt on seized injectors.

Top Bottom