Tow Bar doubts

David Hobbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 2017 220d Sport Saloon
Hi
Am new to this forum and know this has been discussed before but as far as I can find without any definitive answer.

I have a 2017 MB 2.1 litre C220d Sport Premium Auto Saloon. I have bought a small caravan and want to tow with it.

I know from talking directly to MB that they do not do a factory fitted tow bar and are not willing to confirm that one can be fitted. Previous discussion seem to centre around 'no type approval' etc

There is a local company quite happy to fit one and simply move over the 'boot kick opener' underneath the car. The VIN plate also gives a tow capacity.

My question is, apart from the practical logistics of fitting a tow bar is there any other reason such as engine, gearbox, automatic transmission, cooling etc which would prevent this.

Grateful for any definitive advice

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
My last car had "No type approval" and the thing that stopped me fitting a towbar which, incidentally was only going to be used for a bike rack and two bikes, was my insurance company would not provide cover, due to the lack of said type approval and, this was despite me explaining that the heaviest thing it would be towing was two push bikes and the rack that they sat in.

Check with your insurance company just to be on the safe side, you really don't want any nasty surprises.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
If the vehicle plate shows a Gross Train Weight then it is type approved to tow.

We have had issues- one member certainly- who bought a specific option fit of car which was not type approved, and had a blank on the GTW section of his vehicle plate.

OP
D

David Hobbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

I guess what I actually need to know is
1) Can I legally tow with this car?
2) Is the car suitable for towing without doing any components any harm?

I attach a photo of the VIN plate. According to the manual:
1st number (2135kg) is the Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight.
2nd number (4000kg) is the Maximum Gross Weight of Vehicle Combination
3rd number (1050kg) Permissible front axle load
4th number (1115kg) Permissible rear axle load

Does this mean that I can legally tow 4000 - 2135 = 1865kg?

Have phoned Mercedes who were useless.

0.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

I guess what I actually need to know is
1) Can I legally tow with this car?
2) Is the car suitable for towing without doing any components any harm?

I attach a photo of the VIN plate. According to the manual:
1st number (2135kg) is the Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight.
2nd number (4000kg) is the Maximum Gross Weight of Vehicle Combination
3rd number (1050kg) Permissible front axle load
4th number (1115kg) Permissible rear axle load

Does this mean that I can legally tow 4000 - 2135 = 1865kg?

Have phoned Mercedes who were useless.

View attachment 46453
The 4,000kg is the gross train weight (the combined maximum allowable mass of the vehicle and trailer)

The 2,135kg is the Gross Vehicle weight (the maximum allowable mass of the vehicle including occupants, fuel and luggage)

The 1,050kg and 1,1115kg is the maximum axle loads for the front and rear axles

So taking 2,135 from 4,000 gives a maximum tow-able weight of 1,865kg working on 85% gives 1,585kg for a trailer / caravan.

You shouldn't really be towing at 100%, 85% is the recommended limit

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
85% is an arbitrary weight suggested by the Caravan Club for new tow-ers.

OP
D

David Hobbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all, again

OK, seem to be getting somewhere.

The caravan is only 1150kg so well within the 85% recommended tow capacity, and the car can physically tow from the info on the VIN plate.

Why then does Mercedes not do a factory fitted tow bar and why do they tell me that they don't recommend this car/model for towing?

Maybe I need to speak to Mercedes again. Still think it may be something to do with 'type approval' whatever that is.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Does it have a different rear bumper (being “sport”) than the regular? If so that could be enough for Mercedes to say they don’t recommend it as the bumper might require slicing into to get a tow bar to fit.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
blxxdy crazy .! second or third time i have read about this type of drama. think one guy even had to send the car back as benz sold it having advised,i believe , that it could tow , when in fact it was not approved to do so, which on a decently
powered saloon,estate,car is just plain daft. i get the point with ABC equipped cars. and i think one would be a little daft to be trying to tow with an r230 for example.
as for bumpers, on my clk w208 i was told no way to fit tow bar without bumper cut. i can assure you guys the bar was fitted and nothing like a bumper cut.....

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
blxxdy crazy .! second or third time i have read about this type of drama. think one guy even had to send the car back as benz sold it having advised,i believe , that it could tow , when in fact it was not approved to do so, which on a decently
powered saloon,estate,car is just plain daft. i get the point with ABC equipped cars. and i think one would be a little daft to be trying to tow with an r230 for example.
as for bumpers, on my clk w208 i was told no way to fit tow bar without bumper cut. i can assure you guys the bar was fitted and nothing like a bumper cut.....

Any chance of a picture? Just curious to see how it looked, that's all.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Any chance of a picture? Just curious to see how it looked, that's all.

will try today, never had much luck uploading pictures.

OP
D

David Hobbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi
No, no bumper cut required. Just needs the 'kick boot opener' moving to one side and straight forward job to fit tow bar.
Problem is that the insurer requires it to be a 'Manufacturer approved modification' and Mercedes are non-committal.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Hi
No, no bumper cut required. Just needs the 'kick boot opener' moving to one side and straight forward job to fit tow bar.
Problem is that the insurer requires it to be a 'Manufacturer approved modification' and Mercedes are non-committal.

Surely a tow bar will be a 'manufacturer approved modification' if it's type approved which it will have to be to be on the market.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Hi

I'm calling BS on the part of the dealer and insurer. Along with laziness.

Change the insurer?

Earlier in the thread you mentioned: 'I know from talking directly to MB that they do not do a factory fitted tow bar and are not willing to confirm that one can be fitted.' Do you have the original brochure for the car you bought? and the accessories brochure?

Page 45 of the current brochure here: http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/new-c-class-saloon-estate.pdf
says manual towbar available for £750 as a factory fitted option. It will be available as aftermarket purchase too, but probably 3x the price plus fitting.

This well known tow bar supply co lists a fair few options:
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/...edes-c-class-saloon-2014-onwards-towbars.html

A factory fitted towbar on original build may well include an uprated cooling fan/pump so as not to overheat the gearbox. Your dealer will be easily able to confirm from your VIN number, unless they can't be arsed to help, or you don't ask the question.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi

read... downright blxxdy unhelpful.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I'm calling BS on the part of the dealer and insurer. Along with laziness.

Change the insurer?

Earlier in the thread you mentioned: 'I know from talking directly to MB that they do not do a factory fitted tow bar and are not willing to confirm that one can be fitted.' Do you have the original brochure for the car you bought? and the accessories brochure?

Page 45 of the current brochure here: http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/new-c-class-saloon-estate.pdf
says manual towbar available for £750 as a factory fitted option. It will be available as aftermarket purchase too, but probably 3x the price plus fitting.

This well known tow bar supply co lists a fair few options:
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/...edes-c-class-saloon-2014-onwards-towbars.html

A factory fitted towbar on original build may well include an uprated cooling fan/pump so as not to overheat the gearbox. Your dealer will be easily able to confirm from your VIN number, unless they can't be arsed to help, or you don't ask the question.

From what I saw when I looked into it, only the ML/ GLE in their 3 litre + engine config required additional cooling to be fitted for towing.

I'm with Keith's BS-o-meter here. Don't talk to a dealer, they know nothing and usually can only barely be bothered to sell you a car, on a good day. Check the MB online vehicle configurator as that's kept more up to date than the e-brochure.

Finally if a towbar is type approved for your car, regardless of whatever the insurer says it's type-approved. So question your insurer on what they know (or not).

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom