Reconditioned engine supplier recommendation

GLM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350 2005 petrol
I have a 350 cls petrol and unfortunately have a problem that needs the engine fully stripped for further investigation, so I am looking at a recon engine which might be a cheaper option. I have had the car for about 3 months and have only driven it for about 5 weeks. Have changed gearbox oil and done the cam chain too. Every so often just after start up on low revs it starts missing. All exillarys seem fine. I've been told that's it's possibly an internal shaft with worn teeth. It's at an independent mb garage. So they've said remove and strip engine to look further. Any other feed back would be appreciated. Feeling rather sad about this car it's cost me a lot of time and money and still not sorted.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome, could be the M272 engine balance shaft issues you’re suffering from. Have a search in the forum (or google) and you can check if your engine is in the range of those susceptible to the problem. You’ll need your vin number to check.

OP
G

GLM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350 2005 petrol
Hello and welcome, could be the M272 engine balance shaft issues you’re suffering from. Have a search in the forum (or google) and you can check if your engine is in the range of those susceptible to the problem. You’ll need your vin number to check.
Thank you will check it out

OP
G

GLM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350 2005 petrol
Thanks for that blobcat, I had a look and the forums said anything above this number were ok.unfortunately mine is below . If I recall the fault codes were the same as described for the faulty shafts. I will go back and speak to the garage and find out how much it's going to cost.

• M272 Engine Serial No. 2729..30 468993

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I would be looking to get some help with this from the seller, particularly if a dealership.

That is terrible bad luck you have and in your position I would be feeling really p****d off.

I hope you get this sorted without too much expense.

Robin

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
As above , what was the warranty on the car ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As above , what was the warranty on the car ?
Even if they say only 2 or 3 month warranty we have “of merchantable quality” in the UK which basically means that you could reasonably expect it to last for much longer. It depends upon how much you paid for the car and how it was described in the advert but you are on strong ground assuming you paid market price and it wasn’t described with issues.

OP
G

GLM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350 2005 petrol
Thanks everyone, unfortunately and more fool me , it was a private sale and I thought all should be good with only 47000 on the clock and engine was running perfectly. I did not know about the cam chain until after because of the fault codes and when that was sorted the fault codes came up again and now it's more than likely the shaft.So it's a recon engine or dismantle mine with no certainties. It's a pitty because it's one of the nicest cars i have ever
driven.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
02 cl55 amg
If it is an m272. There is a cover you can remove. Right in the centre of the engine "V" where you can check if it's a balance shaft problem. There's no need to remove the engine for this. There are several u tube videos on the procedure.

Gary

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Thanks everyone, unfortunately and more fool me , it was a private sale and I thought all should be good with only 47000 on the clock and engine was running perfectly. I did not know about the cam chain until after because of the fault codes and when that was sorted the fault codes came up again and now it's more than likely the shaft.So it's a recon engine or dismantle mine with no certainties. It's a pitty because it's one of the nicest cars i have ever
driven.
Here's a simple check, hope it checks out OK.

Reactions: GLM

-raj-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Multiple R230's & E250 CDI
If you need any advice feel free to message me, im over in coventry. Ive rebuilt x3 m272 engines due to worn balance shafts, it seems like this is the issue with yours too, quite common unfortunately.

Last edited:
OP
G

GLM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350 2005 petrol
If you need any advice feel free to message me, im over in coventry. Ive rebuilt x3 m272 engines due to worn balance shafts, it seems like this is the issue with yours too, quite common unfortunately.
Thanks Raj, yes I would like to chat to you, maybe some advise on the above . If that’s ok.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Great offer Raj....:)

-raj-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As 'Oldspanners' said try that check first and let us know how it all lines up.

One thing to add, why did you have your timing chain replaced? its not the easiest thing to do on these engine as you can easily slip a tooth or two when feeding the new chain in.

Is the engine warning light on the dash?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Remove the camshaft sensors. Turn the crankshaft clockwise to 305' (markings are on the crankshaft pulley). The discs on the pulse wheels should be in the centre of the sensor pick ups. If they are off to one side then the shaft has worn. No further stripping required.

A worn balance shaft would not cause a misfire though. The engine light would come on and the fault codes would relate to camshafts being in the incorrect position.

If it has a misfire, then the engine will log a misfire code. If its a slight misfire, not hard enough to register a fault then you can look at the smooth running counter on actual values. That will identify the cylinder running rough, then you have the choice of moving coil packs and or injectors to nail the fault.

A Qasim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 350 petrol 2006
Hi do you rebuild the m272 engine? My engine light has come on and im dreading its not the balance shaft. But will be a piece of my to know thanks

-raj-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi do you rebuild the m272 engine? My engine light has come on and im dreading its not the balance shaft. But will be a piece of my to know thanks

Its an engine out job, gearbox off and partial engine strip.

if you've built engines before it mechanically not that hard but very time comsuming.

A Qasim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 350 petrol 2006
Sorry for late reply i had it checked it’s showing codes for cam position exhaust senor eml light comes on and off car drives fine at the moment? What is the cost of repair and do you put the better parts in so problem doesn’t reoccur? Thanks in advance

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom