Hi there, I'm new here. E 220D Estate. I'm looking for good tips from fellow MB owners!

White Merc Estate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate/2017/E220D AMG Line Premium+
Hi there, I'm new to this site, so I'm unsure if this is where I introduce myself!

Anyway, I'm now the owner of an E 220D Estate and I'm looking for some good tips and advice from fellow MB owners, especially regarding wheels and tyres!

Chris

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Chris you’ll get plenty advice on here!

OP
White Merc Estate

White Merc Estate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just a bit Chris!:p
The car I just bought (2 previous owners) has got 20" wheels with low profile tyres. I'm looking to 'change into something more comfortable', but I want to comply with MBs recommendations. What's the best way to confirm these wheels/tyres were original, which I doubt, and where would I find suitable, say, 18" wheels/tyres. I'm considering eBay, but think that might be fraught with risk, not eBay but the wheels/tyres themselves. Would you care to comment?

Chris

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The car I just bought (2 previous owners) has got 20" wheels with low profile tyres. I'm looking to 'change into something more comfortable', but I want to comply with MBs recommendations. What's the best way to confirm these wheels/tyres were original, which I doubt, and where would I find suitable, say, 18" wheels/tyres. I'm considering eBay, but think that might be fraught with risk, not eBay but the wheels/tyres themselves. Would you care to comment?

Chris
Hi Chris
I’d agree I doubt the 20s are original (not to say that’s not against MB criteria though).
Best place to start is your manual or failing that the filler cap which shows tyre pressures and what likely options you have .
18in wheels I believe are optimal on British roads with the poor state etc- most comfortable ride. 19s though may look better, I have 19s and the ride is fine too.
There are also a number of tyre sites such as Mytyres, Oponeo, black circles etc you can enter your Reg number and it will fire back the recommended wheel and tyre sizes. Most of these are also now offering wheels too of decent quality. Depending on your budget you could always try MB - Grangemouth do forum discount on 01324 686002 speak to Steven Kilgannon .
Ebay as you say is possible for second hand wheels , a risk I guess but due diligence then you’d be ok.
Hope that helps

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello & welcome,

Have a look inside your fuel filler door and it will show the wheel and tyre options, I'd go for 17's (assuming they're in the size options) but I value comfort over looks

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum :)

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Morning Chris, welcome to the world of Mercedes ownership, you won't regret it I'm sure! I run mine on std 18" AMG Alloys with Goodyear Eagle asymmetric 3 Tyres all round. The tyres are better (for my car anyway) against the usual Continentals MB factory fitted - they have noticeably less road noise than the Continentals and were surprisingly good value. The cost alone for good 20" tyres is terrifying, my other half has 20" inchers and they're £200 quid a throw! As John L says, MB Grangemouth do a very generous discount on parts for forum members which hopefully would extend to wheels too, I've had lots of stuff from them which is all MB OE quality. Also plenty on Ebay both new and for refurb. Enjoy the car!

Andy

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hello and welcome! First of all, pics or we don't believe you :D :D

Secondly- don't skimp on the maintenance or upkeep. These are great cars but they will very quickly bite you in the wallet if you don't look after them.

Thirdly, get the ECO mode (auto start-stop) turned off as soon as you can. That has the effect of stretching the timing chain which MB have helpfully slimmed down for your engine.

Fourthly, enjoy the torque!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Hello and welcome! First of all, pics or we don't believe you :D :D

Secondly- don't skimp on the maintenance or upkeep. These are great cars but they will very quickly bite you in the wallet if you don't look after them.

Thirdly, get the ECO mode (auto start-stop) turned off as soon as you can.
"""That has the effect of stretching the timing chain which MB have helpfully slimmed down for your engine.""
I don't like the sound of this...…...:confused::(

Fourthly, enjoy the torque!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Well-known issue Jim, duplex chain went to simplex on the OM651.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum and the world of Mercedes!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Well-known issue Jim, duplex chain went to simplex on the OM651.
When I bought this car last January, I had been ( briefly) considering a BMW, but the N47 timing chain issues put me off...somewhere in my mind, I had this ( mistaken , now as it seems ) the idea that because MB only used duplex chain systems, that was one thing I did not have to worry about..:( now I have just read your post...…...On the positive side though, on the service history I got from presenting the VIN to the local MB dealership ( no service booklet with the car.. ) It states that on 04-04-2016m @151399 Klms, "Quote:- Chain Tensioner / Belt Tensioner, Toothed Belt, Valve Timing Gear Noise Unquote" It also gives a claim NR. From this description, would you think that the belt has been replaced? Or just tensioners etc. ????

carlls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 cls350 gone 2009 320cdi sports estate
hi and welcome to the forum

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Hi, Chris, pics of your car with the 20s please.

OP
White Merc Estate

White Merc Estate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys, for all your pointers. I called in at MB Gatwick this afternoon, with my V5, where a mechanic was able to confirm that the 20" wheels on my car are original! Moreover, he was pretty emphatic the smallest wheels I could fit would be 19", because the brakes are AMG Line spec (if that makes sense), probably because it's a Premium+ vehicle. Complete with tyres, 19" wheels would set me back a pretty packet, something like £700 x 4 = £2,800, uggh! Oh dear, it seems I have 'eyes bigger than my belly', if you get me.

So, for now, I'll take a look at blackcircles.com and justtyres.co.uk as he suggested, plus the other links you have provided.

I'm learning about wheels.

Chris

OP
White Merc Estate

White Merc Estate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, Chris, pics of your car with the 20s please.
Well, it's dark out there right now, but let's see if I can't post some pics tomorrow ...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom