Keyless go

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Interesting programme on ITV tonight about car theft. They showed just how easy it is to steal a car with keyless go. ADAC in Germany tested 180 Keyless Go equipped cars for resistance to relay (aka range extender attacks). Of the 180 tested 178 failed.
They also highlighted the high level of vehicle theft - typically where they break in to get the keys.
The good thing is MB have developed a new key which is resistant to KG range extenders and has a motion sensor. A short period of inactivity and the key shuts down. Range Rover now put their cars in neutral if the key goes out of range. All I can say is it's about time manufacturers did something.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
A real eye opener that program, there will probably be a great deal more thefts now , the toe rags know how easy and cheaply the kit can be purchased.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Watched it too, very interestng and good yo see MB are acting to fix the issue but what about the thousands of cars already sold? I think they should all be given an upgraded key for free.

JDPEClassUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate E220d (2019)
I use a Faraday pouch all the time for spare key and main key at night. Prevents scanning and cloning and is very cheap to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Interesting programme on ITV tonight about car theft. They showed just how easy it is to steal a car with keyless go. ADAC in Germany tested 180 Keyless Go equipped cars for resistance to relay (aka range extender attacks). Of the 180 tested 178 failed.
They also highlighted the high level of vehicle theft - typically where they break in to get the keys.
The good thing is MB have developed a new key which is resistant to KG range extenders and has a motion sensor. A short period of inactivity and the key shuts down. Range Rover now put their cars in neutral if the key goes out of range. All I can say is it's about time manufacturers did something.
Considering that the issue has been out there for 3 years, and automotive OEMs generally have a 90-day target to address market concerns with both in-field and production line fixes, that should say something about how technically complex it has been to find a workable solution for it all.............

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I use a Faraday pouch all the time for spare key and main key at night. Prevents scanning and cloning and is very cheap to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 2 of these pouches and they stopped working after a while! Monojoy brand from Amazon, might have to try another brand that work!
You can also disable KG anyway with a double click whilst locking the car anyway in case you didn’t know?

Last edited:

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
KG does make me laugh, I've a few friends that have this and are so smug with it, well they were when it was new. Like it was something that the user experience has been needing for ever. I still use the remote to open the door, and use the key in the ignition and turn. don't see it as a major issue.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My key card is lost, so I'm guessing that mine is unstealable through the black box device? Or am I'm very missled :(

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My key card is lost, so I'm guessing that mine is unstealable through the black box device? Or am I'm very missled :(
Correct. The range extender method still requires the original key to be in proximity to one end of the system.

towat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK 320
I had a Citroen Xantia in the mid 90's that needed a four digit PIN code to start, that would stop the driving away part of the equation.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I had a Citroen Xantia in the mid 90's that needed a four digit PIN code to start, that would stop the driving away part of the equation.

I remember them.
Takes time to punch in the right code - even more time if you're in a hurry.
No good with gloves on, either.
Great cars though, and so comfortable!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
The good thing is MB have developed a new key which is resistant to KG range extenders and has a motion sensor. A short period of inactivity and the key shuts down.

Apparently 2019 model year VAG cars do that too, although I can only recall Skoda specifically noting it.

Daughter has it on her new SEAT Ateca and for her it's great as she can just leave the fob in her bag. However we were somewhat bemused that the system allowed her to lock her bag, with the fob inside it, in the boot. Thankfully she was only a couple of miles away but it could have been a nightmare.

I think for people who don't have handbags the system is a bit of pain as if don't want drive with a bunch of keys in your pocket you've got to find somewhere to put them, and then remember to pick them up before you get out of the car.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ good point- my wife dropped the Volvo key inside the car but assumed she had misplaced it in the home somewhere then locked the car with her iphone, only to realise the key must indeed be in the car...and it was. Although you cannot lock the doors by touch with the key inside the car, you could with your phone. Lose signal then.......

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
The good thing is MB have developed a new key which is resistant to KG range extenders and has a motion sensor. A short period of inactivity and the key shuts down.
I saw that as well and have just been out and tried mine. The car opened as normal so I locked it again and left the key next to the car whilst I messed around in the garage. After 5 minutes, I tried again and the car wouldn't open but I moved they key and then it did. I tried this a couple of times with the same result.

So that's saved me some money because I was just about to order some faraday pouches. :)

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Here is a pic showing some of the options I WON'T be ticking if I put an order down. At least Skoda give you a choice.

Inkednope_LI.jpg

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
KG does make me laugh, I've a few friends that have this and are so smug with it, well they were when it was new. Like it was something that the user experience has been needing for ever. I still use the remote to open the door, and use the key in the ignition and turn. don't see it as a major issue.
I would never have specced it but it was included with one of the Premium packages so I was stuck with it. I have to say that, after just a week of using it, I kinda like it!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Considering that the issue has been out there for 3 years, and automotive OEMs generally have a 90-day target to address market concerns with both in-field and production line fixes, that should say something about how technically complex it has been to find a workable solution for it all.............
The MB solution does seem relatively simple - a movement detector in the key which shuts down the transmitter when the key has been motionless for a period. I dread to think what is going to happen to the movement sensor if I drop the key though. The key itself looks exactly the same as the one in my eight year old E Coupe which had no such technology.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom