Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No - will be fine

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Ts99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 C43 Coupe
So my car valet bloke reckons to avoid car washes entirely...

Whats your views? With the bad weather I dont want to be washing it weekly or even paying him to come and do it, would rather pay £10 to run it through a car wash.

Is it bad to do on a new car?

He reckons it scratches it?

Surely its alright to do every now and again through winter?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I use them every now & then but I'm not as OCD as some ;)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Do NOT use the drive-through type with the tall rotating brushes, that's what will certainly cover your car in microscratches (ask me how I know!!). Basically is costs the wash owner lots of money to change the brushes, so they do it as infrequently as possible. In the meantime lots of the nylon brisltes get broken leaving sharp edges, that's what scratches your paint as they whirl around.

I now use the hand wash mob at our local Tesco - but for a start they only use Autoglym products, plus I watched them carefully before I tried them, then watched carefully the first couple of times they did the S204. I now know and trust them and allow them to wash the 968 cab as well - something I've never done before in 20 years of 968 ownership, I always washed and polished them myself!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
There’s no way that the polyethylene bristles can scratch the paint. If you get one of the bristles and whip your paint it will leave a mark, the mark will rub off as it’s the polyethylene being left on the surface of the paint.

Much research has been done in this subject and automatic tunnel car washes do no more damage than not washing at all.

If you want a show car then by all means use a detailer or the quad bucket method it whatever is recommended.

Hand car washes are generally very very bad as the hyperchlorate they use as a allow shell and traffic film remover is very very aggressive and causes lots of damage. A lot of them are also unlicensed, pay no VAT or insurance as well as no business rates or water rates.

The tunnel car washes use Kanor chemicals which if you don’t know is the industrial arm of Autoglym. All of them are no damaging to alloys or paintwork and much research is done by kanor/autoglym.

I use car washes as they get the salt and the like off for very little effort. Ive no damage from many many washes, I do have stone chips and the like none of which were caused by the car washes.

Also tunnel car washes cannot cause the swirl marks as the brushes or wash mitts don’t move against the bodywork in such a way as to cause those swirls. They spin in line with the bodywork so you would have lines going along the car.
However hand car washing can make hose marks depending upon sponge / cloth or drying leather application.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
Just gonny no dae that!:mad::shock:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's an "American" car wash in Northampton, with contactless wash and dry, and hand wash prior to that (two buckets, etc).
I use them regularly, but always try to get there first thing in the morning, often being the first car in, as then I know the wash mitts weren't on the ground as yet ...

Used to cost £5 back in 2011, now it's gone up to £7

But then, my car is thirteen years old ;)

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My comment about broken bristles is based on an Honest John article in late 1998. I'd just PX'd an 18 month old Rover 820 Turbo Vitesse that I'd had for less than a year, gave it a good clean before PXing it and noticed loads of small scratch marks in the paintwork. 1-2 weeks later HJ did a write-up about car washes and broken nylon bristles. I have not used that type of car wash since, and have not had microscratches on any car I've owned since then.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
Just gonny no dae that!:mad::shock:

I think that's a NO.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'm sure it will be fine :rolleyes:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I now use the hand wash mob at our local Tesco

I watched them at my local Tesco, great job with one major flaw.
After pressure washing the car, two guys take a side each and sponge over the whole car. Not once do they rinse out the sponges, so any grit is getting spread over the whole car. For that reason I declined to use them as no better than the other car washes who use a hard bristled brush over your paintwork.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
A car wash was on my bucket list for a risky bunk up in my youth when I had company cars. ;);):cool::cool::cool::cool: Tick :)

Never put my own car through one.

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
I only take the wife's car through a car wash, leaves me more time to hand wash mine. (Plus it won't fit)

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Car wash every time for me. But it all depends on what floats your boat and what you choose to spend your time on, each to their own.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Car wash every time for me. But it all depends on what floats your boat and what you choose to spend your time on, each to their own.

True, but only if you like to spend time looking at swirl marks on your paintwork.

Top Bottom