Ml420 info

pedders

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 cdi
Hi Guys,

I am going to look at an ml420 at the weekend just want to know if there's anything I need to look out for. I am already avoiding the airmatic suspension but I am not 100% sure what other potential weaknesses are.
I have already got an ml270 that's served me well over the last 7 years but I fancy a change and more power.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Excellent engine as Steve has said, As with most ML's most problems tend to be seizing brake calipers and dampness problems with the rear SAM units.... You will probably find that the EGR valve will need to be electronically eliminated as it does tend to cause engine running problems. And a new or extra heavy duty battery will keep electrical glitches at bay. A good service history is a bonus.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Budget for new shocks all round. They have a lot of work to do controlling all that height... Something like £140 each on Ebay. The difference in handling will make them seem like a bargain.

Listen for bearing noises from the front Diff at around 56-60 mph. Early versions were prone to bearing break-up, or just noise that gets loo loud to hear the stereo.

If the gearbox bangs into first when coming to a standstill, trouble isn't far away.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Shocks aren't all that common and not all go bang.

If its standard steel spring then its only the rears that are common, and still not all that common. My 164 has 125k miles on it and they are fine.

The airmatic air springs are £350k a bag and its mainly the rears that fail, I've only ever replaced about 4 sets in 9 years as an Indie....

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Steve, thanks for the perspective..

My shocks weren't leaking but they were certainly not doing what they're designed to do (danp) when compared with the new ones.

My regular high speed trips along the A31 (great road) were pretty frighting before, difficult to keep it on one lane, but it runs arrow-straight now.

If only I hadn't caused myself so much additional work when replacing them...

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Shocks aren't all that common and not all go bang.

If its standard steel spring then its only the rears that are common, and still not all that common. My 164 has 125k miles on it and they are fine.

The airmatic air springs are £350k a bag and its mainly the rears that fail, I've only ever replaced about 4 sets in 9 years as an Indie....
Our Indie often says 'I hardly every have to replace these, you've been unlucky.' ;)

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
I have had both front springs go on the wife’s W164 320 (1 took out the wheel speed sensor in the process). And had both rear shocks / springs go on my W164 420 during the past 7 yrs /100k.

Could just be the poor condition of the roads though - also had 1 go on the SLK.

Mark

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have had both front springs go on the wife’s W164 320 (1 took out the wheel speed sensor in the process). And had both rear shocks / springs go on my W164 420 during the past 7 yrs /100k.

Could just be the poor condition of the roads though - also had 1 go on the SLK.

Mark
I think there's a lot more cars out there with cream crackered shocks than people realise, I see loads of rear wheels bouncing around when following cars on the motorways. Hate to think what their stopping distances would be like if they had to brake in an emergency.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom