ML300 2010 W164 Suspension help...

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
Hi All

My 2010 W164 ML's suspension has progressively gotten worse so I decided to replace it with a Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit that I ordered online. Whilst waiting for delivery I managed to injure my knee so am unable to do the work myself (for the foreseeable future)

As she feels like a bouncy castle at the moment (which doesn't help the knee) I decided to approach a few local garages to get costs for labour. To my surprise I was turned away from all of them as they said that this would need a heavy duty spring compressor.

Does anyone have any experience with installing similar? I have a 1 tonne hydraulic coil spring compressor that I've used previously on my W211 front suspension - was planning on using this to do the ML ones - is this not going to be man enough for the job? Is there anyone out there who'd be interested in doing the install? - I'm based in Oxford and happy to travel within reason to get this sorted by someone who'd look after the old girl.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Mo

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Did a complete Shock change in the summer.

Apart from a suspension creak which has happened since, the job was straightforward and needed no special tools apart from spring compressors (I used 4 of them and only broke one).
Took one day to do each end. Most time was lost undoing the Lower Control Arm-to-Shock bolt, which took an angle grinder to get out.

Can't imagine why no-one would take this job on....maybe they're rich enough already?

OP
Mounis

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
Did a complete Shock change in the summer.

Can't imagine why no-one would take this job on....maybe they're rich enough already?

Haha, was my thought too! I've looked at the workshop manual, nothing strikes me as being overly complicated....

Top Bottom