Drink Drive crack down.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Northamptonshire police started their Christmas drink/drug drive crackdown this morning, approximately 07.30 am.
They were randomly stopping motorists,(10 at a time) most of which were almost certainly on their way to try and earn a living.
I personally don’t agree with this taking place in the mornings, if you drink and drive and get caught coming out of the pub car park , it’s a fair Cop in my book.
Just was interested in people’s thoughts on this ?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Obviously trying to catch people who are unaware of being over the limit the day after!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I've spent a lot of time when I worked on the other end of accidents , some of which were probably caused by drink/drugs . My views are therefore skewed to the Police viewpoint .
If you know you are going to be driving in the morning then don't drink too much too late .

OP
vtaylor78

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've spent a lot of time when I worked on the other end of accidents , some of which were probably caused by drink/drugs . My views are therefore skewed to the Police viewpoint .
If you know you are going to be driving in the morning then don't drink too much too late .

That’s the Question though Wighty, how much is to much ? Who knows.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
It's unfortunate on the ones stopped who haven't had so much as a wine gum, but the inconvenience is worthwhile if it catches someone still over the limit.

As for how much is too much the night before..............difficult, but not hard to work out if you had a skinful.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I fully support any police action to get selfish over the limit drivers off the road.

If you had a heavy session the night before, use a bus/taxi/train. No sympathy for anyone caught.
Ditto.
I lost my mother when I was 16 due to the actions of a drunk driver. She was killed at 4 in the afternoon. If the police want to stop someone at 7 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon or at pub closing time or any other time I'm in favour of it. I wouldn't want anyone to have to deal with losing a family member or friend because some idiot thinks it's ok to drink then drive.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
That’s the Question though Wighty, how much is to much ? Who knows.
You can buy self testers that you could breathe into in the morning , you can also rough calculate the alcohol leaving your system overnight (I forget , but something like a unit an hour ?) , and add some leeway . Try and avoid drinking before driving in the morning ? (By "you", I don't mean you by the way ) . The trouble is that a lot of the people over the top in the morning really "don't give a flying one" .

OP
vtaylor78

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also today it was revealed that the lab that 42 of the 43 UK police forces use , have been charged with Alleged data tampering.
41 people have had drug convictions quashed!

OP
vtaylor78

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can buy self testers that you could breathe into in the morning , you can also rough calculate the alcohol leaving your system overnight (I forget , but something like a unit an hour ?) , and add some leeway . Try and avoid drinking before driving in the morning ? (By "you", I don't mean you by the way ) . The trouble is that a lot of the people over the top in the morning really "don't give a flying one" .

That’s ok Wighty I understand your point.
I only have a few at weekends, as I’m on the road at 6 most mornings.
Blast that’s my last One of the evening !!!

Nigel Hewitt

Reaction score
Website
www.nigelhewitt.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300/W212/2014/2L Diesel Hybrid (Also a Honda CBR1000RA Fireblade)
Driving to the Hospice to visit my wife I got wiped off the motorbike by a DUI so I have a slightly biased view.
I've been random checked and I just smiled and thanked the Officer and asked how it was going.
If he had said they caught someone I would have said "great" and meant it.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
No argument from me, the sooner they introduce zero alco/breath testing the better,
it removes they grey area and makes the action of alcohol and driving 100% nicked.

Not to keen on this tactic of stopping traffic early morning and testing drivers,
I'm sure I would find something better for them to be doing.

OP
vtaylor78

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No argument from me, the sooner they introduce zero alco/breath testing the better,
it removes they grey area and makes the action of alcohol and driving 100% nicked.

Not to keen on this tactic of stopping traffic early morning and testing drivers,
I'm sure I would find something better for them to be doing.

That’s exactly my point Westheath , it’s good people are being caught it’s just the timing of it I’m not comfortable with.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I'd know I'd had too much to drive at 07:00, I'd still be akip in me bed, nowhere near the car.

I don't drink at all in December when I know I have to drive the following day. As only drink at the weekend its not difficult to not drink on a couple of days extra, is it?

There is another aspect that is oft not taken into view, that of drunken pedestrians and cyclists. My brother was involved in an incident where the local club, next to the pub where the victim had been refused service, let him in for a lock in. My bro was on his way home in the early hours, driving well below the speed limit, came round the corner to be met with the drunk in the middle of the lane. Of course it was my brothers fault as he was driving :mad: He went through hell being accused of all sorts. At the inquest, fortunately members of the club that were all regular drink drivers and heavy drinkers came forward to explain the deceased was always bragging about getting so p!ssed he didn't know how he got home some nights. His blood/alcohol level was 4x the limit for a driver, but there aint one for a pedestrian.

I did get stopped 5 times in 3 days one Xmas crackdown time on my way to/fro work. One Friday morning 3 times by 3 different police forces on the same journey to work. I used to go across 3 counties on that commute. It was under the guise of vehicle safety checks. Roadblocks, every vehicle stopped. Thing was my car was only a month old.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
When I was visiting Sweden in the 90's my Swedish friends would not drink past 8pm in the evening for fear of being breath tested the next morning. The limits were much lower there.

Top Bottom