Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
WHAT CAR?
CAR OF THE YEAR 2007

WINNER
Luxury Car Mercedes-Benz S320 CDl

Here are some quotes:-

The S-Class is still head and shoulders above its rivals. It's another easy win this year

Make no mistake, Mercedes-Benz rules this sector. Many have tried to undermine the S-Class's dominance - Audi, BMW, Jaguar and Lexus being the main protagonists - but the gulf between the flagship Merc and its rivals remains as wide as ever.

Part of this is due to the undeniable cachet of the badge, but image alone is not enough in the cut-throat world of the business traveller.
Running costs are an essential consideration and the S320’s CDI diesel engine is not only smooth and powerful. its also extremely fuel-efficient, averaging 34mpg. The Mercedes boasts the best residual values in its class, too.

Even if the diesel S-Class was an absolute money pit, we'd still find it hard to resist.
Its built to the most exacting standards using the finest materials and will whisk its lucky owner and a trio of business colleagues to high-pressure meetings in sublime comfort. It will also soothe away the troubles of the day on the return journey.

Most impressively, the air suspension soaks up bumps in a quiet, cushy fashion, yet when the route becomes more demanding, you have only to press the Sport button to tighten up the car's body movements and benefit from greater control.

Equally, all the instruments and major controls work with rewarding precision. That includes the brakes, which are hugely powerful and full of feel.

The cabin is an oasis of tranquillity. There's acres of room in which to stretch out, while scrupulous attention to detail, lashings of high-grade leather, polished wood and aluminium switches endow the cabin with unsurpassed quality.

MARCH 2007 WhatCar.com

Other tasty quotes include: -

The S class has already beaten every rival in petrol form, but now we can adjudicate the best diesel luxury car on sale in 2007.

At motorway cruising speed the S class is virtually silent…
..the most cosseting ride imaginable ….

Its vast 560 litre boot is deep and a useful square shape……

The S class is exquisitely built, with fine shutlines, lavish materials, lustrous paintwork and cool aluminium switchgear.

… jumping into a Jaguar from the Mercedes is akin to turning right rather than left in an Airbus.

The new Mercedes-Benz S class sets lofty targets for every luxury rival: build quality is exquisite; it relaxes or rockets at the driver’s whim; and the roomy cabin pampers and soothes like no other. In short it makes you feel special.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
WHAT CAR?
CAR OF THE YEAR 2007

WINNER
Luxury Car Mercedes-Benz S320 CDl

Here are some quotes:-

The S-Class is still head and shoulders above its rivals. It's another easy win this year

Make no mistake, Mercedes-Benz rules this sector. Many have tried to undermine the S-Class's dominance - Audi, BMW, Jaguar and Lexus being the main protagonists - but the gulf between the flagship Merc and its rivals remains as wide as ever.

Part of this is due to the undeniable cachet of the badge, but image alone is not enough in the cut-throat world of the business traveller.
Running costs are an essential consideration and the S320’s CDI diesel engine is not only smooth and powerful. its also extremely fuel-efficient, averaging 34mpg. The Mercedes boasts the best residual values in its class, too.

Even if the diesel S-Class was an absolute money pit, we'd still find it hard to resist.
Its built to the most exacting standards using the finest materials and will whisk its lucky owner and a trio of business colleagues to high-pressure meetings in sublime comfort. It will also soothe away the troubles of the day on the return journey.

Most impressively, the air suspension soaks up bumps in a quiet, cushy fashion, yet when the route becomes more demanding, you have only to press the Sport button to tighten up the car's body movements and benefit from greater control.

Equally, all the instruments and major controls work with rewarding precision. That includes the brakes, which are hugely powerful and full of feel.

The cabin is an oasis of tranquillity. There's acres of room in which to stretch out, while scrupulous attention to detail, lashings of high-grade leather, polished wood and aluminium switches endow the cabin with unsurpassed quality.

MARCH 2007 WhatCar.com

Other tasty quotes include: -

The S class has already beaten every rival in petrol form, but now we can adjudicate the best diesel luxury car on sale in 2007.

At motorway cruising speed the S class is virtually silent…
..the most cosseting ride imaginable ….

Its vast 560 litre boot is deep and a useful square shape……

The S class is exquisitely built, with fine shutlines, lavish materials, lustrous paintwork and cool aluminium switchgear.

… jumping into a Jaguar from the Mercedes is akin to turning right rather than left in an Airbus.

The new Mercedes-Benz S class sets lofty targets for every luxury rival: build quality is exquisite; it relaxes or rockets at the driver’s whim; and the roomy cabin pampers and soothes like no other. In short it makes you feel special.

The Swedish car press Teknikens Värld ( technical world) also said the same thing. I put the details up some time ago

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Yes. It seems to be a virtually unanimous view round the world. And the previous model, the 220 series which I have, had similar rave reviews and is technically very similar. I know sometimes people think I have rose tinted specs about Mercedes. I don't. I just have a car which gives me as much pleasure as these hardened journalists got when they drove it.:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes. It seems to be a virtually unanimous view round the world. And the previous model, the 220 series which I have, had similar rave reviews and is technically very similar. I know sometimes people think I have rose tinted specs about Mercedes. I don't. I just have a car which gives me as much pleasure as these hardened journalists got when they drove it.:D

That is why I went out and bought the most complicated fully loaded car that I could find, I love every minute in mine and look forward to this morning when I shall start out in it for the day. I do drive mine with respect, and have the same view as you. I marvel at the build quality as an engineer, the amount of components that one cannot see that are all tucked in behind the panels, so much in fact that on the AMG version of mine for the sake of one little box that measures 8"x 10" x 2" there is no room for a spare wheel, this is a 2 seater thats larger than a Volvo V70 but full up to the top, and every component beautifully finished.

BRP

Reaction score
I must endorse what the press (and Malcolm and hawk20) say about the w221 S class. Since buying mine (Oct 2006) with the exception of a couple of faults (1 rectified and 1 ongoing) the car is perfect. My family (parents + 2 adult sons (each 6"2" tall) have just completed the trip from northern UK to Estepona in southern Spain about 1800 miles. The passengers and drivers all found the journey comfortable and better and quieter than in previous vehicles. With a short overnight stop in Biarritz the journey from Caen in northern France was undertaken without stops other than for fuel and refreshments. The French and Spanish roads allow good progress (although a French device did light up the road once) the fuel consumption was about 31 MPG which is amazing considering the speed. When new the car used a little oil in the initial few thousand miles but now seems to have almost stopped using oil the present mileage is 15000 and the message saying service required in 2500 miles has just been displayed. I wanted a car which would stand up to this sort of use and have not been disappointed. Initially I found certain things like all the different menu options on the wheel and command a bit fiddly but have grown used to them finding the command being able to operate satellite navigation, 'phone and other devices on the move very useful (could be used by passenger for instance to stay within the law).
Up to now the only control which I would change is the ability to restrict gear range by pressing the left button behind the steering wheel. This can be pressed by accident when turning the wheel and as it limits the gear range to whatever the highest gear is engaged at the time of pressing can be a nuisance if a low range is set by mistake when leaving a junction and wanting to accelerate away. It takes time to 'toggle' up through the gears using the right button, particularly if the wheel is being turned. I am used to this but wonder how people who drive the car less frequently (wife) will cope.
I will have to wait to explore the excellent residual values described, as a high mileage user I am used to taking a hit when changing cars. I normally change frequently, a decision usually taken as a result of reliability issues and confidence in the cars, but generally users of Mercedes-Benz seem to look on the cars as long term prospects so who knows.

nialler

Reaction score
I have a 2000 S320 petrol (w220) I smile everytime I sit in it, I feel great after long journeys my kids tell me I'll be devastated if it ever goes (true) other than the few technical glitches (passenger side seat sensor) and MPG on the petrol version around town I love it.

My brother in law has just purchased an 2002 320 CDI and although an excellent car he feels ill everytime he drives it so I told him to enable the firmer suspension when he sits in it, now he's much better.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I have a 2000 S320 petrol (w220) I smile everytime I sit in it, I feel great after long journeys my kids tell me I'll be devastated if it ever goes (true) other than the few technical glitches (passenger side seat sensor) and MPG on the petrol version around town I love it.

My brother in law has just purchased an 2002 320 CDI and although an excellent car he feels ill everytime he drives it so I told him to enable the firmer suspension when he sits in it, now he's much better.

Yes it is surprising how much difference it makes, though personally I prefer the comfort setting rather than sport.

Brett

Reaction score
Fantastic vehicle - enjoyed both my W220's - although the second one was a bit of a disaster with the number of irritating faults it had, they still both left me with very good memories.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom