Downsizing Wheels - Any Experience?

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
Think I'm going for one of these in the 16"...

The silver ones are £90 cheaper than the polished grey. However, wide spaces between the spokes always means that you can see the rust on the hubs and calipers...

Any thoughts? I might just put it to the vote. My car is an iridium silver estate. Lots of silver.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-16-14-12-23-53_2c2851f616de21a6da6fb44c83a25e93.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-16-14-12-23-53_2c2851f616de21a6da6fb44c83a25e93.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2021-10-16-14-13-20-15_2c2851f616de21a6da6fb44c83a25e93.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-16-14-13-20-15_2c2851f616de21a6da6fb44c83a25e93.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 6

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Do make sure whatever size you intend going with your insurance company are ok with it. Aside from different (i.e cosmetic) appearance, they really won't like them if they're a size that Mercedes don't offer as an option on your vehicle.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Do make sure whatever size you intend going with your insurance company are ok with it. Aside from different (i.e cosmetic) appearance, they really won't like them if they're a size that Mercedes don't offer as an option on your vehicle.
16” are standard on W211 E280’s

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just spoken to a very helpful guy at Wheelbase who do tyre and wheel packages. They recommend conservatively so they can guarantee fitment and have offered me these options for all-season tyres and wheels, inc. delivery:

235x45x17 @ £954
225x45x17 @ £904

205x60x16 @ £824

He is not that helpful though, the 17" tyres should be 245/45 R17 all round!!!!!

16" is 225/55 R16 all round

Decent set of Rucha here

Use Goodyear efficient Grip tyres

Last edited:
OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
He is not that helpful though, the 17" tyres should be 245/45 R17 all round!!!!!
No - that's two different quotations for two different tyre options. Hence the two different prices for 4 by the side...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No - that's two different quotations for two different tyre options. Hence the two different prices for 4 by the side...

All of which are the WRONG tyre sizes for your car so his quote is about as helpful as a chocolate Teapot!!!!

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All of which are the WRONG tyre sizes for your car so his quote is about as helpful as a chocolate Teapot!!!!
So what is the RIGHT size for 17s? Bear in mind that, for a given wheel size (7.5J), a number of different tyre options are available.

Wheelbase is one of the largest wheel retailers in the UK. They can't afford to make a mistake; that's why he checked me out against his Mercedes database and took his time to talk me through the options.

Try to be constructive instead of just pointing out what you think everyone has got wrong.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So what is the RIGHT size for 17s? Bear in mind that, for a given wheel size (7.5J), a number of different tyre options are available.

I posted the correct size for 17" tyres in post #26 (245/45 R17), the standard (OEM) wheel size is an 8x17" ET38 all round as posted by @Wighty this maintains the speedo reading and gearing on the car.

Confirmed here:

Try to be constructive instead of just pointing out what you think everyone has got wrong.

You also need to consider if you go for a narrower tyre with the same side wall profile you reduce the size of the side wall therefore reducing the increased comfort level you seek by doing this.

Wheelbase may be massive but in this instance they are wrong and I sold wheels and tyres for 5 years so am coming from a knowledgeable background on this.

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very much doubt you will get £500 for W211 wheels buddy , I would think £300 on eBay maybe if they are good condition . The trouble with wheel pricing is that if someone is looking for a set and they see an exchange like the first link I posted, they are good as new for just over £300 , why would anyone pay more ?
As to tyres I shop round before I need them normally , for £16’s I often pay about £50-60 from the likes of Camskill or Tyreleader , then my local garage fits for £10 each
Don't forget mine are genuine Mercedes and come with premium tyres (5-6mm all round)...

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I posted the correct size for 17" tyres in post #26 (245/45 R17), the standard (OEM) wheel size is an 8x17" ET38 all round as posted by @Wighty this maintains the speedo reading and gearing on the car.

Confirmed here:

You also need to consider if you go for a narrower tyre with the same side wall profile you reduce the size of the side wall therefore reducing the increased comfort level you seek by doing this.

Wheelbase may be massive but in this instance they are wrong and I sold wheels and tyres for 5 years so am coming from a knowledgeable background on this.
OK; I respect your input but it looks like there are more options available than the narrow set of "standard" configurations you are pointing to, depending on the rim size. For example, the W211 came with 205/60/16 OR 225/55/16 for different rim sizes. Similar story for 17s.

If you go by the manual (as I did there), then 16" rims were not even offered as an option on the E280 CDI Sport, so it's impossible to say what "my size" needs to be. A limiting factor MAY be the distance to the brake caliper but, apart from that, it seems there is no barrier to fitting 16" wheels and having EITHER 205/60 OR 225/55. Either way the speedo discrepancy is about 1.7%.

Extrapolating from this, I'm sure the same principle would apply to 17" wheels, i.e. a RANGE of options, not just the single one you specify.

Anyway, I'm driving up to their shop in Oldham tomorrow to get a face-to-face consultation.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The cars handbook will detail tyre size options as considered suitable by MB and acceptable to insurance.
That would include winter / summer and load ratings.

On the 639's I have run on 75 profile rather than the listed 65's. Insurance could be silly sods in the event, but I considered that it would have to be a serious event for them to investigate to that degree. Realising it's only a simple look see of course.

On a hi value vehicle that risk is greater, pretty obvious really. So to some extent I accepted the principle of self insuring. 3rd parties would still be paid out so it is a personal risk consideration.

Likely as not my comments will invite a deluge of self righteous response's, so be it.
In my defence the hi quality tyres fitted would for sure be safer than propper tyres fitted by many clean living types.

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The cars handbook will detail tyre size options as considered suitable by MB and acceptable to insurance.
That would include winter / summer and load ratings.

On the 639's I have run on 75 profile rather than the listed 65's. Insurance could be silly sods in the event, but I considered that it would have to be a serious event for them to investigate to that degree. Realising it's only a simple look see of course.

On a hi value vehicle that risk is greater, pretty obvious really. So to some extent I accepted the principle of self insuring. 3rd parties would still be paid out so it is a personal risk consideration.

Likely as not my comments will invite a deluge of self righteous response's, so be it.
In my defence the hi quality tyres fitted would for sure be safer than propper tyres fitted by many clean living types.
No, you're right - I WILL be running it past my insurers.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK; I respect your input but it looks like there are more options available than the narrow set of "standard" configurations you are pointing to, depending on the rim size. For example, the W211 came with 205/60/16 OR 225/55/16 for different rim sizes. Similar story for 17s.

Yup but a 235/45 R17 and 225/45 R17 are smaller (and smaller again) than the OEM size so the speedo and gearing WILL be affected and you will have less ride quality than a 245/45 R17 due to a smaller Side wall.

It will also affect your fuel consumption.

I am trying to advise you based on the correct OEM fitment and Alloy Wheels Direct are ALWAYS bang on with their fitments.

If you go by the manual (as I did there), then 16" rims were not even offered as an option on the E280 CDI Sport, so it's impossible to say what "my size" needs to be. A limiting factor MAY be the distance to the brake caliper but, apart from that, it seems there is no barrier to fitting 16" wheels and having EITHER 205/60 OR 225/55. Either way the speedo discrepancy is about 1.7%.

I think it is a brake issue as well, that car will have big brakes so clearance for a 16" may well be and issue (It may also be wheel shape but that is a whole other conversation)

I know the wheels @Wighty posted will bolt straight on fitted with 245/45 R17" tyres and there will be NO issues at all (including insurance)

Extrapolating from this, I'm sure the same principle would apply to 17" wheels, i.e. a RANGE of options, not just the single one you specify.

There are BUT you need to keep the rolling ratio of the tyre as close to OEM as possible so you may as well fit the OEM recommended tyre size, there are loads of 17" OEM MB wheels available, see here:

BUT they all state the same size tyre (Unless staggered)!!

To give you an example of tyre prices:

This looks fantastic value with £5 off each tyre if you buy 2 or more:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For example, the W211 came with 205/60/16 OR 225/55/16 for different rim sizes. Similar story for 17s.

Yup BUT they both have the same circumference

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yup BUT they both have the same circumference
I do appreciate the time you've taken on this and I respect your expertise.

I've been on a number of configuration sites and dialled in all the various options. The maximum speedo discrepancy I came across was 1.7% which equates to a discrepancy of 1km/hr at 60kph. I think I can cope with that so it's NOT a point of pedantic contention or a deal-breaker.

Remember I'm getting new rims and tyres as a package - as long as the rims fit the tyres, the rims clear the calipers and the speedo discrepancy is marginal, surely I'm good to go. It's a completely virgin fitment so what are the limitations? Why can't I fit ET33 rims, for example?

These options are all available on the Wheelbase website under W211. If you're right, then literally thousands of people must have been sold the wrong wheels. The company would have been shut down.

Regarding the range of options, I went on an Oponeo configurator just to check rim flexibility. For a 225/55/16 tyre, then there are SIX different rim sizes that will fit that tyre size. Work the other way round and there will be a range of tyres which will fit a specific rim.

If your only worry is the speedo discrepancy, then rest easy - 1.7% is fine. I DO accept your point about tyre width/ride comfort, though, so thanks for that.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been on a number of configuration sites and dialled in all the various options. The maximum speedo discrepancy I came across was 1.7% which equates to a discrepancy of 1km/hr at 60kph. I think I can cope with that so it's NOT a point of pedantic contention or a deal-breaker.

The MAX recommended variation from OEM is + / - 1.5%

Remember I'm getting new rims and tyres as a package - as long as the rims fit the tyres, the rims clear the calipers and the speedo discrepancy is marginal, surely I'm good to go. It's a completely virgin fitment so what are the limitations? Why can't I fit ET33 rims, for example?

You can vary ET, the lower the number the further out the wheels will sit in the arch (This is why people use Spacers) and as there is loads of room in a W211 arch it is no real issue particularly in the rear BUT I wouldn't use a higher ET as that can cause caliper clearance issues, this is also effected by the wheel width so a 7.5" ET33 wheel will sit further in the arch than a 8" ET33 wheel

Regarding the range of options, I went on an Oponeo configurator just to check rim flexibility. For a 225/55/16 tyre, then there are SIX different rim sizes that will fit that tyre size. Work the other way round and there will be a range of tyres which will fit a specific rim.

Yup, a certain width tyre will fit on a range of rim widths so a 245 wide tyre will fit rims from 7 - 9" wide with 8" being the optimal size hence MB using that fitment on their cars.

One of the tyre sizes WB quotes was a 225/45 R17, this is way out and should be a 225/50 R17 on your car

Personally I would buy these, have them refurbed and stick a set of Uniroyal RS5 on them

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The MAX recommended variation from OEM is + / - 1.5%

You can vary ET, the lower the number the further out the wheels will sit in the arch (This is why people use Spacers) and as there is loads of room in a W211 arch it is no real issue particularly in the rear BUT I wouldn't use a higher ET as that can cause caliper clearance issues, this is also effected by the wheel width so a 7.5" ET33 wheel will sit further in the arch than a 8" ET33 wheel

Yup, a certain width tyre will fit on a range of rim widths so a 245 wide tyre will fit rims from 7 - 9" wide with 8" being the optimal size hence MB using that fitment on their cars.

One of the tyre sizes WB quotes was a 225/45 R17, this is way out and should be a 225/50 R17 on your car

Personally I would buy these, have them refurbed and stick a set of Uniroyal RS5 on them

OK; thanks for your advice. Those wheels are 175 miles away from me + refurb will be £300 + tyres on top - doesn't make financial sense, unfortunately.

I'm pretty much decided I'm going to go with 16" - if I'm spending best part of a grand, I want to notice a BIG difference in the ride quality...

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom