C Class Buying advice

JonA4

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and would like come buying advice please.

I'm thinking of changing my 2005 Audi A4 2.0TDi S/Line manual to an automatic. I love the Audi but could do with an auto and as my "Boy Racer" days have gone, I don't mind driving at normal speeds but would like the extra comfort. I have just a had a drive in a 2005 C200d (I think) auto and LOVED it!! It was roomy, quiet and the engine seemed great.

What are the main differences between the C200d and the C220d? How have you got on with the petrol versions? I only do around 10k a year so would diesel benefit me? Perhaps I should look at a C200k?

Has anyone got buying advice for me? I'm looking to spend around £13k - £15k from a main dealer.

Many thanks

Jon

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Jon,
at 10k pa you'll save very little if anything switching to diesel. Where you may benefit is in VED but you'd need to check the bands. The 200cdi is underpowered so don't drop below the 220 and the 200k petrol is nice if a bit buzzy.
A c220k petrol would probably be my thinking in your position.

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Jon,
A c220k petrol would probably be my thinking in your position.

I don't think the last generation C-class exists as a 220k diesel

I think the line-up is 180K, 200K or 200 diesel, C220 diesel and then the 230K.

If you want diesel then opt for the C220 rather than the C200 - think the only difference is BHP output.

I find my 180 Kompressor perfectly powerful enough teamed with an auto box, it has plenty of instant acceleration when you need to overtake etc. It's pretty economical about 35-40+mpg on a long decent run. Around town it's between 25-30mpg.

Last edited:

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
It certainly is confusing for anyone new looking at Mercedes and getting their head around the different model numbers.

Remember it took me a while to understand them.

:D

Phil D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
previously W202 & W203
If you're thinking diesel then definitely go for the 220 and avoid the 200 (same engine I believe, but a lower tune and reputed to be a but of a slug)
I had a 180 petrol as a loan car once and though noticeably quieter it did seem to lack the grunt of my 220 - in fairness it was brand new and would undoubtedly improve as it loosened up - good luck with your hunt and let us know what you plump for
Phil

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom