W211 E320 CDi - Engine Oil Level Measurement, again!

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
Hi,

Yesterday I carried out an engine oil level comparison check on my 2004 W211 E320 CDi (3.2 litre, straight-six).

The engine was hot and I gave it a generous 30 minute rest period for the oil to drain back into the sump.

First I removed the engine cover and took a dipstick reading of the depth of oil in the sump - the oil depth measured 130 mm.

Then I used the dashboard electronic service measurement system to take a measurement of the volume of oil in the sump - this was reported as 6.5 litres.

From the oil level check charts that Russ (SM rf065) kindly posted for me, the 130 mm oil depth requires 0.5 litres of oil to bring the level up to the full mark.

I was told that the correct (full) volume of oil in the sump is 6.8 litres so, if that figure is in fact correct, the electronic service measurement system is telling me to add 0.3 litres of oil to bring the level up to the full mark.

A discrepancy of 0.2 litres between the two measuring systems seems rather high.

Please could someone with access to the WIS database look up what my E320 CDi 'sump full' oil volume should be when using the dashboard electronic service measurement system? If it is actually 7.0 litres (rather than 6.8 litres), that would relate perfectly with the 130 mm dipstick measurement.

2004 E320 CDi (3.2 ltr. straight-six)
VIN: WDB2110262A606222
Engine No: 648961 30 076464

Thanks,

Razoo

BTW, I topped-up with 0.3 litres of oil (Mobile 1 0W40).

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Wis states 7.3 litres oil capacity in your engine. (after oil & filter change).
I assume some of that will be taken up by the filter and not all is in the sump?

Wis also states that the engine should be warm when switched off & only a 5 minute wait is required.

Russ

Last edited:
OP
Razoo

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
WIS states 7.3 litres oil capacity in your engine. (after oil & filter change).
I assume some of that will be taken up by the filter and not all is in the sump?

Hi Russ,

Yes, some oil remains in the filter housing, thereby reducing the volume of oil in the sump. Vehicle handbooks often give two engine oil change capacities; one with oil filter replacement, and one without oil filter replacement. The quoted oil capacity without oil filter replacement should be equal to the volume of oil in the sump (at 'Full'). Unfortunately, the Mercedes' handbook doesn't give this information.

WIS also states that the engine should be warm when switched off & only a 5 minute wait is required.

That's true, but my engine was 'hot' so I gave it a while to cool down. Also, 5 minutes is a minimum wait time for warm oil to drain back into the sump - longer (within reason) doesn't matter.

As Mercedes have gone to the not inconsiderable trouble of designing and fitting the electronic service oil level measurement system that gives the volume of oil in the sump in litres, they must surely quote the figure for the volume of oil in the sump when the level is at the 'Full' mark. Otherwise the whole scheme falls apart because if the volume of oil at 'Full' isn't known, then the measured volume of oil cannot be subtracted from it to give the volume of top-up oil required.

Some MB dealerships only use the electronic service oil level measurement system when doing an oil change, so they must know what the volume of oil in the sump should be when at the 'Full' mark.

I think an oil filter generally holds around 0.5 litre of oil, which would confirm my figure of 6.8 litres in the sump, if the total refil capacity (including filter replacement) is 7.3 litres, as you say.

Regards,

Mike

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As Mercedes have gone to the not inconsiderable trouble of designing and fitting the electronic service oil level measurement system that gives the volume of oil in the sump in litres,

Problem is, the electronic level on mine has shown the engine to be 0.8 of a litre short of the 6.3 litres my engine holds in the past. Even after putting a 1 litre bottle of mobil 1 & the dregs from another bottle in, it was still showing 0.1 short according to the electronic level. It can also give a different reading from day to day for no known reason.

I would be more inclined to follow the dipstick if I wanted a true reading, it cannot really fail as it has been tried & tested to work for over a hundred years now. Trust Mercedes to mess about with a system that works.

Russ

delboy777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W203, 220CDI Elegance Full Leather/Sat Nav
How does one find this service oil level measurement in the computer ? It does not tell you in the Handbook..........cheers ,Derek

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How does one find this service oil level measurement in the computer ? It does not tell you in the Handbook..........cheers ,Derek

Maybe you have a dipstick instead?
I'm sure if you had it, the manual would tell you how to use it.

turn the key to the first position & press the mileage reset button 3 times, you should hear a beep to confirm.

Russ

Last edited:
OP
Razoo

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

If you do NOT have an engine dipstick, then the handbook should tell you how to check the oil level using the basic electronic oil level measurement feature. This is NOT the SERVICE oil level measurement; it is a much more simplistic function, primarily aimed at owners with an IQ lower than their shoe size. Basically, all it tells you is 'Oil level OK', 'Add 1 litre of oil', 'Add 2 litres of oil' or 'Too late, scrap the engine!' ;)

The service oil level measurement is not mentioned in the handbook. It took me quite some while to find out how to access it. The service oil level measurement gives a readout in litres of the volume of oil in the sump (although judging by some member's comments, it might be more of a random number generator).

The sequence is:

Note: If the engine has just been running, let the vehicle stand for around 10-15 minutes before starting this procedure.

1. With the vehicle on level ground, put the key into the ignition and turn it clockwise to position 1 (first position).

2. Use the leftmost menu button on the steering wheel (the icon looks like a page of text partly on top of a blank page). Press this button slowly and repeatedly until the speedometer centre display shows 'Temp' (e.g +1.0 C) at the top.

3. Press the 'Reset' pushbutton on the extreme left-hand edge of the instrument cluster (just to the left of the clock) quickly 3 times. The speedometer centre display should change to the engineering menu showing battery voltage 'UB' (e.g. UB: 12.2V).

4. Press the 'Up Arrow' on the left of the steering wheel ONCE. The speedometer centre display should change to show several rows of information. The bottom row should read, 'Oil level _._l'

5. Turn the ignition key clockwise from position 1 to position 2 (second position). Wait patiently for a few seconds and the _._ should change to show the exact volume of oil in litres (e.g. Oil level 6.55l).

6. Turn the ignition key anti-clockwise to position 0 (OFF) when you have finished taking the reading.

This sequence works on my 2004 E320 CDi, but I can't say whether it will work on your vehicle. As your vehicle is 2001, I suspect it won't.

Razoo

OP
Razoo

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
<snip> Trust Mercedes to mess about with a system that works.

Absolutely - keep it simple and reliable. MB's electronic oil level measuring system was an unnecessary and over-complicated foray into pointless extravagance.

I guess MB wanted to show Ford how to do it (IIRC, Ford tried an 'electronic dipstick' on their Granada model. It used to suffer badly from condensation on the sensor and gave all manner of false readings).

At least MB have gone back to the traditional dipstick on the latest V6 CDi E-class.

Razoo

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I got a 230 SL500 06 2006 for a friend, and that has a dip stick and the dash reading

Smok

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1968 MGC Roadster, 1972 Elan +2 130S, 2001 Ferrari 456M GTE320 CDI Avantegarde
Thanks for this

[QUOTE
2. Use the leftmost menu button on the steering wheel (the icon looks like a page of text partly on top of a blank page). Press this button slowly and repeatedly until the speedometer centre display shows 'Temp' (e.g +1.0 C) at the top.]

The menu is accessed from the default data displayed - so you may have 'Speed' instead of 'temp' as default display on this menu - if so, follow instruction 3 from there...

An excellent post - many thanks

Roger57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E350, 2011 A180, 1973 VW 1303
Dipstick? What dipstick?

My 2006 W211 E320 CDi estate is a fine car. It is, honestly. But as I proceed down the path of MB ownership (this is only my second MB) I am encountering some rather quirky features. It is the only car I have ever had (and in 45 years of driving, I've had a few) which doesnt have a dipstick to check the engine oil level. Or does it?

The user manual is useless too. Yes, I have looked at previous posts about this, especially the one about manipulating the buttons to access the engineering menu, but although I can get in there, there does not appear to be a line as described with which the oil level can be checked (the post refers to a 2003 car, but its still a W211. Or is it?).

I'll keep it simple, lets see if anyone out there knows....two questions:

1. There is a dipstick in the engine compartment (mine is the V6 engine) which has an orange top. It does not have anything which would identify it as the oil level check dipstick (what happened to the old picture of an oil can?). What is this for? Looking from the front, it is at the right-hand rear of the motor.

2. Does my car actually have a dipstick for the engine oil or not? If not can anyone tell me how I access the engineering menu on this 2006 E320 Cdi V6?

I would be most grateful for any assistance. Like I said, great car, but the most logical things, well, ermmm.....

I suspect that the reason is that this car was aimed at the sort of person who would never even dream of opening the bonnet. After all, ones fingernails may get damaged and besides, they would have 'a man that does' to do that for them.....

Unfortunately, I do not.

Best regards all,
Roger

Roger57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E350, 2011 A180, 1973 VW 1303
Electronic oil level check?

I wish to check the engine oil level in my 2006 E320 diesel, as you would on a weekly vehicle check on any other car. Having perused the forum before for this, I have discovered how to do it using the 'press reset three times with key in position 1 etc' method.

Works fine and gets into the menu, but where the You Tube video shows the oil level reading at the bottom of the display, mine has a row of dashes.

Does this feature have to be enabled first? And does anyone know how it is done? Dont tell me......I need to take it do a dealer, yes?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the feature does not have to be enabled first. ive never had to go in that deep with my 203 i had. normally i got in, ignition on, pressed the 'up' arrow until i got to where the part is where it would tell me the distance left until my next service, and because the ignition was on i could check my oil there (cant quite remember how i did it, but put me back in a 203 and i can do it without thinking)
i didnt need to go into the engineering menu

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but where the You Tube video shows the oil level reading at the bottom of the display, mine has a row of dashes.

Try turning the ignition on at that point and it should measure the oil level.

Russ

Martin Jennings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C204 250 CDi AMG Prem Plus, W168 A160 Elegance LWB
Just tried this on my 02 220 CDi with a 611 engine and cannot get past the temp reading on the screen! :mad: Betting this feature is not on earlier cars so have no way of checking oil volume, unless someone knows different.....

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just tried this on my 02 220 CDi with a 611 engine and cannot get past the temp reading on the screen! :mad: Betting this feature is not on earlier cars so have no way of checking oil volume, unless someone knows different.....

you need to go into the engineering menu. it IS there. i had it up a couple of times on my old 203. once was just to take it for a blast around the block in dyno mode. just to remind myself how things used to be before traction control, abs etc spoiled all the fun! (and to answer the questions id probably get asked, i did it because i wanted to, yes i enjoyed it a hell of a lot, no cars arent more difficult to handle than they used to be even with a bit more power and yes brakes have improved immensely, because a lock up used to take TRYING to do, unless in an emergency, now its actually alarmingly easy!)

Martin Jennings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C204 250 CDi AMG Prem Plus, W168 A160 Elegance LWB
I did try repeatedly following the instructions earlier in this thread and could not get the menu up. There may be a different method for 203's so hoping someone has the way to do it. :(

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did try repeatedly following the instructions earlier in this thread and could not get the menu up. There may be a different method for 203's so hoping someone has the way to do it. :(

theres loads of videos on youtube showing how to do it on a pre facelift 203. its a while since i did it now, so i cant remember, but i just followed the information on a youtube video.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom