Mobilo -a Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
MOBILO-LIFE and MOBILO

There seems to be much confusion about Mobilo-Life and its replacement MOBILO. I hope this summary may help.

Subject to terms and conditions on servicing at an MB dealer, all cars with Mobilo-Life or more recently Mobilo are covered for 30 years from 1st registration for such things as breakdowns due to mechanical or electrical defects. In addition, there is Minor Mishaps cover for a broad array of problems including punctures (single puncture in some cases and multiple punctures in others), flat battery due to lights left on, wrong fuel, out of fuel, keys locked inside vehicle, keys lost or stolen, incorrect oil or coolant levels, and for some age brackets cover is given for Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accidents/Vandalism.

My brother had two tyres slashed on a three year old A class. He needed to get to a golf match. He phoned Mobilo and they rushed him a hire car and while he was playing sent out a local tyre firm to replace the damaged tyres.

The first two years of Minor mishaps cover comes from the manufacturer; in the UK minor mishaps cover is topped up for a third year by MBUK.

Vehicles registered between 24 October 1998 to 31 December 2003

Period of unconditional cover: - 4 years (48 months) from initial registration. This includes minor mishaps cover.

Once the vehicle is 4 years old, it must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer to retain breakdown cover for a maximum of 30 years. If after year 4, the vehicle misses a service or a service is carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network, MobiloLife does not apply and cannot be reinstated.

It is not possible to extend the length of cover for minor mishaps beyond the initial 4 years.
Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accident/Vandalism are not covered for cars in this age bracket. Wrong fuel is not covered for cars registered after July 1st 2002 and before 31st December 2003.

Vehicles registered between 1st January 2004 to 31st March 2008

Period of unconditional cover: - 2 years (24 months) from initial registration

Once the vehicle reaches it's 3rd year, cover is renewed each time a scheduled service is carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer and remains valid until the next service is due, for a maximum of 30 years. If a service is overdue or has been carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network at the time of assistance, from the 3rd year, Mobilo does not apply. This can be reinstated by the completion of a Mercedes-Benz service.

3rd year is covered only by Additional Benefits (Top-up) for vehicles registered in the UK within the above dates, and if the service has continued to be carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer. This includes the full list of minor mishaps cover which for this age group includes Water ingress, Multiple flat tyres and Accident/Vandalism.

So minor mishaps such as punctures are covered for three years subject to MB servicing after year two –BUT sadly IMO cannot be extended beyond three years.

Vehicles registered from 1 April 2008

Period of unconditional cover: - 4 years (48 months) from initial registration

For this age bracket –joy of joys – all the minor mishaps are covered for 30 years subject to MB servicing.

Once the vehicle reaches it's 5th year, Mobilo is renewed each time a scheduled service is carried out by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer and remains valid until the next service is due, for a maximum of 30 years. If a service is overdue or has been carried out outside the Mercedes-Benz network at the time of assistance, from the 5th year, Mobilo does not apply. This can be reinstated by the completion of a Mercedes-Benz service.

From 5th year, it is planned that cover can be renewed through a purchasable extension offer, which has yet to be determined or confirmed.

ALL AGE GROUPS get Roadside Assistance with minor repairs at location; Recovery to nearest MB Authorised Repairer; Vehicle delivery service within 25 miles of MB Authorised Repairer; Transport provision within 25 miles of MB Authorised Repairer; Replacement vehicle for 5 days (but 3 days for those registered after April 2008); train plane fares and hotel accommodation, and even repatriation if abroad when the breakdown occurs (see T’s and C’s).

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
Good summary. Worth printing out and keeping in the glovebox, car, just in case !

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
V good indeed,Hawk. My car was registered in November 2007. I would value your opinion on whether,assuming continuity of MB servicing, it would be worth having separate breakdown cover (Green Flag type) after the initial three year period to cover those items which then fall out of the Mobilo arrangement?

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
V good indeed,Hawk. My car was registered in November 2007. I would value your opinion on whether,assuming continuity of MB servicing, it would be worth having separate breakdown cover (Green Flag type) after the initial three year period to cover those items which then fall out of the Mobilo arrangement?

That is the annoying question I have to answer for myself -as does my brother and my eldest daughter (all with MB's from that period).

What I want and they want is cover for a puncture so someone comes and changes the wheel. Wife can't. Daughter can't. On many Mercedes (sports cars) the wheel you take off won't go in the boot. And many may have the boot full of luggage or shopping. Or in our case a dog crate and shopping.

Seems crazy to me we cannot pay a top-up fee to MB to extend 'minor mishaps' cover. I have been in prolonged correspondence on this issue with them but no dice. At least on new cars they have decided to come up with a top-up scheme.

I don't want my car towed by the AA to the nearest garage. I want MB to look after it.

So the answer is you either get other cover after year three or we need a thread on how good are the alternatives to changing the wheel e.g. aerosol foams etc etc.

But at least we have breakdown cover for all drivers for 30 years (subject to service conditions).

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
...which is all fine, unless you bought a 2003 car from a dealer who had the service done on the car at an independant before selling the car! Bye, bye Mobilolife...

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
...which is all fine, unless you bought a 2003 car from a dealer who had the service done on the car at an independant before selling the car! Bye, bye Mobilolife...

Which is one good reason for buying cars with full MBSH IMO.

Cars from Jan 1st 2004 onwards can reinstate MobiloLife by returning to MB dealers for servicing.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
now I am confused

despite hawk's info being crystal clear. Our car has had a few indie services in its life, two of which instigated by us in the year we have owned it. Mercedes have written to us reminding us of the next service date and the expiry of the mot ( well wrong on that one) Am i to infer that they still consider the car in their "manor" and covered by mobilolife, or am I just being optimistic? I won't cancel our breakdown cover in the interim. It's got to go back for a sniff soon anyway, as the rust repair either missed a couple of bits, or didn't fix them properly. I'll quiz the service boss when we do that and see what he says about Mobilo then.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
despite hawk's info being crystal clear. Our car has had a few indie services in its life, two of which instigated by us in the year we have owned it. Mercedes have written to us reminding us of the next service date and the expiry of the mot ( well wrong on that one) Am i to infer that they still consider the car in their "manor" and covered by mobilolife, or am I just being optimistic? I won't cancel our breakdown cover in the interim. It's got to go back for a sniff soon anyway, as the rust repair either missed a couple of bits, or didn't fix them properly. I'll quiz the service boss when we do that and see what he says about Mobilo then.

If your car was first registered before Jan 1st 2004, the T's and C's say you cannot re-instate MobiloLife if the MB service record has been broken.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Thanks hawk

that was the way i read it. i just wonder if they are desperate enough for custom to overlook it and reinstate anyway. I'll see what they say.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
that was the way i read it. i just wonder if they are desperate enough for custom to overlook it and reinstate anyway. I'll see what they say.

Good idea. Keep us posted.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

Any news yet?

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Popped in today to pick up a pollen filter

and spoke to the service manager. Apologetic, but no chance of reinstating mobilolife if serviced outside MB dealers at all. Ho-hum, as we expected when we bought the car. Quoted £241 for an A service. That doesn't seem too bad, but not as cheap as me doing it though.

littlebubb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 Cdi Sport Coupe. MGF
I just wanted to say thank you for the information here, this week we have had so many problems with our car, and had to to a search to see what was and what was not covered. Today we have been told that the rust on what we thought was just one wheel arch, is actually on all 4 and "should be" covered. However the suspected "head" issue and all associated investigation is not, and in a car that is not quite 6 years old I am find hard to swallow!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Welcome littlebubb

Its sad but a fact, rust on the earlier models is a problem, hope that mb will sort it for you!

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I just wanted to say thank you for the information here, this week we have had so many problems with our car, and had to to a search to see what was and what was not covered. Today we have been told that the rust on what we thought was just one wheel arch, is actually on all 4 and "should be" covered. However the suspected "head" issue and all associated investigation is not, and in a car that is not quite 6 years old I am find hard to swallow!

Thanks.
The rust should be covered under the 30 year rust guarantee. Only MB offer this.
The 'head' issue is under the normal 3 year warranty that almost all makes give and so would not be covered at 6 years old. Just bad luck.

sweeper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 Viano 2.2 R350cdi
If your car was first registered before Jan 1st 2004, the T's and C's say you cannot re-instate MobiloLife if the MB service record has been broken.

This is true, but, mobilo life used to be a warranty, now it is a long term care plan, big difference here as car manufactures that give a warranty can no longer insist on dealer servicing (provided car has been maintained using authorized parts etc.) to maintain the warranty ( i believe this applies for the first six years of any written warranty, beyond that any stipulation the manufacture/importer insist upon has to be adheared to to maintain warranty)
Interesting to note that the new rules that came out in 2004 were retrospective, so warranty on cars before this date can be maintained without dealership servicing, up to 6 years old (5 in Scotland). Is interesting to note i was getting corrosion repairs done beyond 6 years old despite the car not having a Merc stamp since 2003 a year before i bought it. Also interesting is the corrosion protection is now part of the Mobilo long term care pack, so if you don't get it renewed regulary you lose the benefit of corrossion cover, past experience makes this slightly worrying, i hope Mercedes are building them properly, especially as i intend buying an E class 211 estate to replace my Jaguar (which at 11 years and 180,000miles has no rust, unlike the C230 we have)

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
This is true, but, mobilo life used to be a warranty, now it is a long term care plan, big difference here as car manufactures that give a warranty can no longer insist on dealer servicing (provided car has been maintained using authorized parts etc.) to maintain the warranty ( i believe this applies for the first six years of any written warranty, beyond that any stipulation the manufacture/importer insist upon has to be adheared to to maintain warranty)
Interesting to note that the new rules that came out in 2004 were retrospective, so warranty on cars before this date can be maintained without dealership servicing, up to 6 years old (5 in Scotland). Is interesting to note i was getting corrosion repairs done beyond 6 years old despite the car not having a Merc stamp since 2003 a year before i bought it. Also interesting is the corrosion protection is now part of the Mobilo long term care pack, so if you don't get it renewed regulary you lose the benefit of corrossion cover, past experience makes this slightly worrying, i hope Mercedes are building them properly, especially as i intend buying an E class 211 estate to replace my Jaguar (which at 11 years and 180,000miles has no rust, unlike the C230 we have)

Several misunderstandings here. Mobilo is not a warranty in the normal sense and never has been. There is a 3 year warranty on the car. Mobilo comes as an addition and is a free breakdown service provided people keep up the MB service record. It also includes a 30 year rust guarantee since October 24th 1998. Prior to that there was an 8 year rust guarantee.

Mercedes have repaired rust on numerous cars that have not had a full MBSH as many threads will testify. They have done so as 'goodwill'.

As for how the cars are built now, cars produced in 2003 and onwards have all steel panels fully galvanised. See this thread: -

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23630

jandhiluk

Reaction score
Hi Who does one contact, in a breakdown situation,have a 99 clk cab with full MBSH all from same dealer.should i have some paperwork with car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom