W 203 Saloon Led Number plate light change

bruno2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CLC 220 Sport
After some research i have now changed my number plate lights to Led ones.
Here are the instructions on how to do the change and from start to finish should be no longer than 1 hour.
The tools needed are
T20 Torx driver
8mm socket and ratchet
Phillips screwdriver
Small flat bladed screwdriver
Butter knife or spatula out of the kitchen
SDC11048.jpg

1 - You need to remove the emergency warning triangle and then the boot liner' to do this you need your T20 torx driver and remove the 2 srews either side of the boot lock.
2- Remove the bracket that holds the warning triangle in place by sliding to the left.
3- Using your small flat bladed screw driver you need to remove all the plastic clips that hold your boot liner in and the 2 plastic covers that cover each hinge,after doing that the liner should now pull off.
SDC11044.jpg

4- Remove your number plate and if it as a rectangle frame you need to remove that by unscrewing the 4 phillips screws.
5-In the centre behind where the number plate was' you will see a small round head bolt and to remove that you need to look inside the boot lid and you will see the nut which can be removed with the 8mm socket and wrench.
6- You then need to remove the plastic cover which your number plate was attached to' This is where you use either a butter knife or spatula which should be covered in tape so it will not damage your paintwork.
You need to lever the cover off it has 4 clips at the top and 4 at the bottom, It will just pop off with a bit of force but take care because you might break the clips.
SDC11042.jpg

SDC11040.jpg

SDC11041.jpg

7- you now need to unplug the light and release the old lights,by pressing the clip which is on the left hand side of the light through the boot lid and the light will pop outwards.
8-Plug in your new light and test and then fit everything back in reverse order and you have now finished.
One picture with 1 old light and new one and then both new ones fitted.
SDC11037.jpg

SDC11038-1.jpg

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
any problems with the bulb failure warning on the dash? or do these units have the necessary resistors built in?

OP
B

bruno2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CLC 220 Sport
any problems with the bulb failure warning on the dash? or do these units have the necessary resistors built in?
No problem what so ever' so i assume they have a resistor built in.

aquanaut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 C63s AMG
thank you for the post, most informative! my offside light has gone. Where did you purchase the bulbs?

OP
B

bruno2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CLC 220 Sport
thank you for the post, most informative! my offside light has gone. Where did you purchase the bulbs?

I will try and find the link to the ebayer i purchased from.

OP
B

bruno2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CLC 220 Sport

SheriffJW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250cdi Blueefficiency Sport Saloon
A mate of mine got burned with these last week for his 325i.

He had to fork out more than double the money to get the right ones that didnt bring up dash error.

Always check before you buy.

OP
B

bruno2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CLC 220 Sport
A mate of mine got burned with these last week for his 325i.

He had to fork out more than double the money to get the right ones that didnt bring up dash error.

Always check before you buy.

I can assure anyone buying these will not be dissapointed, I have just checked mine and cannot believe how bright they are.

hawkeye

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211/07/280 CDI
Small tip

Thanks very much for this - I was really struggling to work out how to get the plate cover off.

A small tip - instead of levering it up using a knife I squeezed the four bottom "clips"/"poppers" internally, using a pair of thin pliers. It then it popped up by itself enough for me to get my hand underneath (from the outside) and pull the top part out manually. No sharp implements required :)

Hope this helps a few people with their paintwork !

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom