Mercedes C220 CDI Sport Poor Fuel Economy

Sirus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Sport
Hi all..new member and I have a question.

I took delivery of my C220 CDI Sport Diesel in August, and up to now I reckon my fuel economy is around 34-36MPG, which is really disappointing. Im wondering if its because its an automatic?

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks, I look forward to any feedback.

Bill

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Thats bad, and the automatics do a lot better than that.

However, the topic of MPG is a red herring, how do you drive the car?

Is it used a lot around town, do you drive fast and make the most of the peak power on offer or do you allow the car to change gear at 2000rpm.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
What did you drive before? How long is your typical journey?

OP
S

Sirus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Sport
Hi guys,

I drive quite conservatively, with odd burst of power, but mostly I'm in E mode. My journeys are a mix of town and motorway in my job, but I'm not a motorway mile monster. I thought even commuter driving would get me at least 40mpg? Prior to this I had an audi TT 2.0 petrol and the mpg was about the same!

What mechanically would cause poor mpg? (just thinking hypothetically as I might give the dealers a call).

Thanks
B

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Is your car actually new?
I ask because Diesels take a good 20k to loosen up.. As they loosen up the fuel consumption improves..

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Is your car actually new?
I ask because Diesels take a good 20k to loosen up.. As they loosen up the fuel consumption improves..

Indeed, I had the priviledge of being a company car owner for 6 years and mainly had diesels. They only started to return decent fuel mpg after the forst service.

OP
S

Sirus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Sport
Thanks for the response guys, yes i bought it new and it now has circa 3k on the clock. So do you think this is normal for a diesel Merc?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I think it's welll within the range of possibilities.

Sorry if this is egg sucking stuff, but my thoughts:

There are lots of different ideas about how to get the best economy - some prefering to get to cruising speed quickly and others much more gently. The key thing, I think, for around town use is to avoid actually stopping - these cars seem to take a lot to get them going again with the auto box absorbing power. Also try to back off the gas as much as possible in advance of traffic lights etc - the car is using no fuel at all when your foot is off the pedal.

The other thing is that these engines take a lot of warming up - I work from home but now and again use my car to take wife to work. It's a 12 mile round trip and it takes about 30mins and the car is only getting reasonably warm when I get back home.

I use the car mainly for long runs - it's 23 miles steadyish across country to the motorway and the car will still only be in the high 30's by the time I get to the motorway. Once at cruising speed on the motorway (around the legal limit) the MPG steadily increases over the 100miles or so and eventually settles at low 50's. However any sort of sustained "press on" driving will knock 5-10MPG off.

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
yes, I'd agree with all above - you'll see it loosen up over time and progessively get better - I had an eclass with the same engine that kept getting better up to 45k - which is when I sold it. But I believe that 40mpg round town is a tad optomistic!

OP
S

Sirus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Sport
Great advice thanks... it all about getting to know the characteristics of the car.

If I choose to go into the office of a day, its only a 7 mile journey, which as Rory correctly said, the engine is hardly warm by the time I arrive there... so Im not going to see the optimum MPG.

On the upside, its a fantastic engine, lots of grunt.

Cheers guys.

B

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
yes, I'd agree with all above - you'll see it loosen up over time and progessively get better - I had an eclass with the same engine that kept getting better up to 45k - which is when I sold it. But I believe that 40mpg round town is a tad optomistic!

Just the start imho. Yes it certainly improved steadily to 50k but they continue to loosen up as time goes on. I'd say things continue to improve, albeit slowly to around 90k

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Great advice thanks... it all about getting to know the characteristics of the car.

If I choose to go into the office of a day, its only a 7 mile journey, which as Rory correctly said, the engine is hardly warm by the time I arrive there... so Im not going to see the optimum MPG.

On the upside, its a fantastic engine, lots of grunt.

Cheers guys.

B

Ah you are a Glasgow man, excellent, down in Helensburgh.

I could write lots about the dealer you will probably take it to, but I won't.

Given the usage pattern and its so new, its fine.

Linerman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 300 CDi Sport
Sirus
My C350 CDi Blue Eff, new in March 10, 9k miles with a mix of road driving, and driving with what i would say plenty of spirit returns me 40 + mpg.
Super engine with loads of power, love it, best all round car i have ever had.
Lino

OP
S

Sirus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Sport
That's impressive mpg linerman?? I'd be happy with that!

ST4 yes I am indeed a Glasgow man, if you want to chat offline to avoid getting sued, that's no prob. To be honest, my car will be going in to have the squeaky brakes seen to, so any upfront warnings on the dealer would be welcome!

Cheers
Bill

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
That's impressive mpg linerman?? I'd be happy with that!

ST4 yes I am indeed a Glasgow man, if you want to chat offline to avoid getting sued, that's no prob. To be honest, my car will be going in to have the squeaky brakes seen to, so any upfront warnings on the dealer would be welcome!

Cheers
Bill

Hi ya Bill.

Search the thread "dealer swapped my wheels".....

They tried to get me to replace a 40% worn pad.

Just make sure they do not try and fob you off with lame excuses etc.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi Sport 2010
40+ from your E350 !!, mine's doing 31mpg. Only gettin @36-37 at a steady 70mph.
New in Sept , done 2800 miles.

Gary

chester

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Sport Coupe
Pick up my 220 tomorrow but its a manual , just hope its gives me a bit more Mpg than you seem to be getting with the auto, which is why I went for it.

Linerman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 300 CDi Sport
40+ from your E350 !!, mine's doing 31mpg. Only gettin @36-37 at a steady 70mph.
New in Sept , done 2800 miles.

Gary

Gary

I have a C350 CDi. On a motorway at a steady 70 i average 47mpg. Either my trip computer is telling fibs or i have dropped on a good'un.

Lino

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi all..new member and I have a question.

I took delivery of my C220 CDI Sport Diesel in August, and up to now I reckon my fuel economy is around 34-36MPG, which is really disappointing. I'm wondering if its because its an automatic? Bill

We have a 3.5 year old W 203 Bill. It started out giving the sort of figure you show here, in spite of being used on rural roads and motorways.

At the age of 42 months, having done 20,000 miles, it now gives 48 mpg on journeys and 40 overall.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Over a 2 mile distance from cold can get it up to 36mpg,
Same journey and getting stopped at lights -26 mpg.
Very gentle acceleration whilst cold.. give it a bit more and back to 26 even without stops.
Lots of stopping whilst cold means it takes forever for current mpg on dash to get up to 40.
no stops at all and see 40mpg within 3 miles..
Brisk acceleration when running temp seems to help as when de-accelerating the mpg goes up..

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom